What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They both look great, but when I try to picture each set sitting on a 1911 I have to choose the solid blue/green. :)...

Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

They both look great, but when I try to picture each set sitting on a 1911 I have to choose the solid blue/green. :)

2. Remove Ads

Ok let me look very close at the 2 of them and draw a conclusion for the post sake.

Hhhmmm ok I would have to take both with what I have. All Stainless and all Black pistol.

Well I guess that was not much help. But If I had to choose just one it would be the

blue/green...

Sarge:

Thanks much I need my daily grip pictures daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess its pretty safe to say that preferences are split. That's okay, we still live in America!
    It's just hard to beat Amboyna Burl. The wood is not only gorgeous, but goes well with everything! Black frame? The Amboyna just pops out and compliments it. Stainless frame? The Amboyna brings it to life. I don't know who does the voting on this, but Amboyna is consistently in the top 5 of the Worlds most beautiful woods. Think about that - in the top 5 out of how many hundreds. Wow.
    Anyway, enjoy the pics.
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Solid all the way! Great burl.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    It's just hard to beat Amboyna Burl. The wood is not only gorgeous, but goes well with everything!
    You said it, Sarge! I totally agree!

Just because I have a minute and want to show the range of the wood.....
    There was a customer who really wanted a colorized/stabilized orange blank for a set of bobtail grips as he is a HUGE Syracuse fan. I didn't have any orange blanks that would work at the time, but a few days later found this gorgeous ORANGE block of Amboyna Burl. Long story short, he loved it and now wears them on his bobtail. All natural coloring. This wood can have such a range from deep red to burnt orange to bright orange. Burling can be in clusters, rays, or a beautiful mix of the two. Very cool wood indeed.
    I'm not sure the true level of orange comes through in the pic, but here's the set I referred to above.
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

DANG!!

I think you've helped me make up my mind on the kind of wood I'll choose for my 1911 grips -- Amboyna Burl!

Sorry about yesterday..... I missed my normal time window for the post and things just kinda snowballed from there.
    Todays wood is Red Mallee Burl which is from Australia. Normally a very cool powder red color this wood can have some extremely attractive pattern to it at times. There is usually a band running through the center base of the actual burl itself in which the burl pattern is very tight and just starting to go literally in all outward directions equally. THAT is the prime portion. The pics are from different blocks, one "normal", the other from the prime zone. These burls naturally have fissures. Some are problematic, some are not.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Very nice.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Administrator
    I wonder how many DC forum members are going out and buying their first 1911 so that they have a firearm to put SARGE grips on.

Sarge's grips is featured in a write up in a new online magazine that just put out their premier issue on the 4th. You can see the magazine for free at huntx3.com if you want to check it out.

Todays set is Snakewood which is often billed as the "Worlds rarest wood". True Snakewood is found only in Surinam and the harvest of it is EXTREMELY regulated. I have seen high figure snakewood (like that shown in the pics) sold by the ounce.
    The figure is beautiful and unusual. I believe you'll be able to guess how the wood got it's name. The wood is featured here on officer size grips.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Those are really cool.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Todays sets will show you the range of Afzelia Xylay, an exotic from SE Asia. This wood is VERY 3D in that you swear that you can reach out and touch the "ridges" in the wood, but when you do, the surface is perfectly flat. A LOT of depth in this stuff. The first set (bobtail) shows the more "freaky" stuff that actually looks like blood vessels or roots running through the wood. The second set shows what many refer to as "waterfall figure". Still very 3D but a higher concentration overall that tones down the effect a little bit. Both are gorgeous.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

The set o'the day today is Beeswing Narra.
    This wonderfully colored wood is from the same tree that gives us Amboyna Burl (I don't know why they have separate names either). The "beeswing" in the name refers to the figure pattern, which is unique as you can see. A solid wood, it's ideal for use in grip panels.
    I think it's beautiful stuff!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays setS are both color stabilized Box Elder Burl. I worked with the stabilizer to lighten up on the color added to the stabilization so that it wouldn't be such a blatant color and overpower or cover the beuaty of the wood, and I think he got this run just right. The beauty of the wood grain and figure shines through, but is complimented by the additional unnatural color.
    A lot of people seem to like this, so I keep a limited amount in stock. I have to admit that I like the look, but feel that the grips lose "something" in using the color. I'm more of a fan of the natural colors available myself. To each his own! They are still beautiful.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Links