What's new at Sarge's Grips - Page 4

What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's my personal policy to never stain wood as I believe that nature cannot be improved upon in the beauty department by man. I usually ...

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

It's my personal policy to never stain wood as I believe that nature cannot be improved upon in the beauty department by man. I usually prefer not to work with wood that HAS been stained, but I saw a couple of "boards" of this material and decided to try it out. I think it's kinda cool. I'm not ready to go out and buy out the stain isle, but I guess working with "man altered" woods is okay once in a while.
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

The depth and iridescence of that quilted maple is stunning!

I agree......I you just can't improve on the beauty of natural wood.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    The depth and iridescence of that quilted maple is stunning!

I agree......I you just can't improve on the beauty of natural wood.
    If you think the picture is cool, you should see in in real life. It is unbelievable.
    Glad you like the pics!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    A customer just sent me a pic of the Mammoth Tooth grips he got from me on his Ed Brown Kobra Carry. What a package these make together! Nice photo too.
    That is stunning !! Can you do the whole grip in Mammoth Tooth? It looks better than a lot of the Mastodon grips and knife handles I have seen. BTW are'nt Mastodon and Mammoth the same creature.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I'm sure you could make whole grips in mammoth tooth, but after working with it up close, I'm convinced that they would have to be for "dress" only. I can't imagine it putting up with repeated and constant recoil wihout coming apart. I like beauty that is also functional, so that's why I put them together the way I do. No worries here about coming apart or having to switch them out to go enjoy the pistol. This is beauty that you can enjoy every day. Also, I just like the whole "uniqueness" of them. I have mammoth tooth in the tan/brown (like in the pic), red/white, black/white/blue, black/blue/green and others with more on the way. All colors are natural and are determined by the elements the teeth are exposed to as they become fossilized. Pretty cool stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed the pic!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

DC Founder
    Hey, Sarge, where's the daily pic?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Sorry Bumper, been in the shop all day making stuff to take pictures of.
    Here ya go though, I've got plenty to go around.

Here's a couple of Buckeye Burl. Beautiful stuff and it varies so much within the same burls. It's amazing. Happy now?

www.thefinergrain.com

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    Sorry Bumper, been in the shop all day making stuff to take pictures of.
    Here ya go though, I've got plenty to go around.
    LOL, yeah, it's started to become a part of morning routine to check out your pictures while I have my coffee. Even my wife likes to check them out and she has little interest in guns, but loves wood refinishing....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the view.
    Today's pic is Redwod Burl. It's best to get this wood stabilized for use in pistol grips as it's pretty light weight. Once it's stabilized though, it's good to go! A nice shimmering "frosty" red color with beautiful burl clusters in the meandering graining of the wood itself. Very cool stuff.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Today's pics are of a beautiful Australian wood called Red Mallee Burl. One of my favorite woods (I have a few Aussie woods in my list of favorites) it is strikingly beautiful and has very interesting burl coverage and patterns to it. The rich red color is outstanding and the wood is great to work with. Beeeeeeeautiful stuff!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

I've found that camel bone when combined with wood makes a great set of grips and have done quite a few of them now. The wood behind kind of "frames" the bone and makes it really stand out against the frame. The wood can be picked according to the frame color and the owners tastes.
    This set is backed with Afzelia Xylay and is cut for a magwell.
    Just something else that I get to do that's cool.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Wow Sarge, it looks like the only grips you're missing are Bald Eagle beak and Spotted Owl claw.

I was really tempted by those buckeye burl grips and one set even had my debit card jumping into my hand. I have to resist for now until I find out how much I'm going to owe the IRS for last year. You sure don't make it easy though.
    Jack

I have some fossilized coral, and even some swordfish bill coming in the mail to me as we speak. I will search for eagle beak and owl claw......
    If the other buckeye gurl grips tempted you, take a look at these, they aren't even up on the site yet but man are they gorgeous or what?!
    Not tempting you, just sharing the beauty. The tax man cometh and we all have to square that away first and foremost.
    Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Wow Sarge, it looks like the only grips you're missing are Bald Eagle beak and Spotted Owl claw.

I was really tempted by those buckeye burl grips and one set even had my debit card jumping into my hand. I have to resist for now until I find out how much I'm going to owe the IRS for last year. You sure don't make it easy though.
    Jack
    www.thefinergrain.com

I can't wait to see the fossilized coral!
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

If the other buckeye gurl grips tempted you, take a look at these, they aren't even up on the site yet but man are they gorgeous or what?!
    Not tempting you, just sharing the beauty. The tax man cometh and we all have to square that away first and foremost.
    Sarge

Just bought these bad boys tonight! If I keep this up, im gonna have Sarge's grips on all my 1911's!

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links