What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yup, you're like me Autofan, the list just keeps going. Todays wood is another American wood - Redwood Burl. A lightweight wood, I always have ...

Page 43 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Yup, you're like me Autofan, the list just keeps going.

Todays wood is another American wood - Redwood Burl.
    A lightweight wood, I always have this stabilized before working with it for much other than trim or detail pieces on projects. It can have some very cool "directionality" to it as the graining runs around the eyes and burl clusters. The powdery light red color goes with just about any frame. It's very nice stuff!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

2. Remove Ads

Today's pics share a "man made" theme. The first pic is color stabilized Box Elder Burl cut across the ray pattern as you can see. I won't color or stain wood myself, but for some reason I let my stabilizer convince me that it was alright if HE did it while stabilizing. While I don't personally prefer it, I can't deny that other people do seem to like it, and that's fine. If we were all the same, the world would be boring indeed.
    The second pic is a set done in black paper Micarta that I stippled also. Micarta is a man made product that is very durable and tough. The paper variety shows no significant graining or pattern and is smooth. The next type - the linen Micarta - has a slight texture, much like 400 grit sandpaper and also has a definite pattern.
    The last pic is of the roughest Micarta material, the canvas. This is much courser. The Micarta's come in a variety of colors, black and Ivory have just been the most popular colors in my experience so far.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

Anyway, enjoy the pics
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is in some stellar Maple burl. The color of Maple burl goes with everything light or dark and it CAN have a multitude of things going on as shown here. Great burl clusters, folding figure, it's all there and makes for a beautiful set. Maple burl can also go much lighter in color and have just the burl clusters or of course, partial burl coverage as well. A good solid choice for those who want sophistication without "loud" coloring.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    These would look totally AMAZING on a Satin Stainless 1911.

This set is not done in wood, but is made from bone. Bone of an animal hunted into extinction is the mid 1700's - the Sea Cow. I was introduced to this material by someone on this forum you all know. He graciously sent me a piece which was turned into grips for a friend. I have since found a source for more of it and plan on making more in the future. It's my understanding that the original Sea Cow was a larger mammal that ventured out into the open oceans. It was hunted by sailors because it was easy to kill, and provided fresh meat on long voyages. The modern Manatee has assumed the common name of Sea Cow, but is not the same thing.
    Anyway, on to the pics!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Today's set is an all blue set of Buckeye Burl. Either a single color like these, or with the cream mixed in with it, Buckeye Burl is always beautiful. Depending on where in the burl the woods come from, it can also have burl clusters and eyes, or be VERY wavy with the graining. Just a matter of what you want to see in the end.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Wow, busy day! I'm only about 7 hours behind on posting this.
    Todays set is a set done in Moradillo that I cut across the grain, then shaped. It made for an interesting pattern in the panels. Moradillo has a wonderful rich brown base color with bold veining that is a darker brown. Very nice wood for use in grips.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    I'll bet you wish you had more a Moradillo.
    Beautiful.

I thought I heard a collective groan......now I know why.

Todays set is done in some wild veined Bocote that I think is just beautiful. This was the last of a block that exhibited this stark pattern and wild movement. Parts of it were so "loopy" that it looked like Bird's Eye Maple with black circles against the yellow wood. Very nice.
    Enjoy!

www.thefinergrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    Today's set is an all blue set of Buckeye Burl. Either a single color like these, or with the cream mixed in with it, Buckeye Burl is always beautiful. Depending on where in the burl the woods come from, it can also have burl clusters and eyes, or be VERY wavy with the graining. Just a matter of what you want to see in the end.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge
    Have these been listed on your site yet?
    * Glock 27
    * Remington 870P

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybyers View Post
    Have these been listed on your site yet?
    Jerry,
    Actually, most of the grips I show here are about 7 pages back in my photobucket folder. Most are long gone from the site (the purpose of me posting these isn't selling, but sharing the pics of some beautiful woods with others). If something strikes you, you can always contact me directly.
    Thanks!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is crosscut Macassar Ebony. If you cut this wood WITH the grain flow, it comes out as black streaks in a pale light red base. If you crosscut the grain, you get these knockout type patterns. Truly takes nice and turns it to SPECTACULAR! The downside is that when crosscut, the wood can be weaker, so stabilizing or soaking with CA or something similar that can permeate the wood and make it harder always helps.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set shows the two tone that is possible when you mix sapwood and heartwood. These are done in Amboyna Burl and believe it or not are bookmatched. The dark spots are in one blank and not the other - it can change that quickly.
    Anyway, enjoy the pics, and happy Monday!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Sarge....My "favorite wood" changes every time you put up a fresh PIC.

It seems mine changes every time I open an new box or make a trip to a store that handles exotics. I feel your pain.
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Links