What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Box Elder Burl. I've only ever seen that dyed/stained - it's quite neat looking in it's natural color. It reminds me of something that nearly ...

Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Administrator
    Box Elder Burl. I've only ever seen that dyed/stained - it's quite neat looking in it's natural color.

It reminds me of something that nearly all people have never seen.

That is ivory tusk with an infection in the nerve core.
    The infection causes the ivory to ignore its usual/typical grain and growth pattern and grow in this crazy swirling abstract tan and ivory burl patterning.

Imagine an elephant needing a root canal. A nerve core infection is incredibly painful for the elephant. In fact (so much so) that it will almost always always cause the animal to act erratically, unpredictably, and it will go rogue.

There you have it...more than you ever wanted to know about pachyderms with massive, mammoth, toothaches causing amazingly weird ivory.

2. Remove Ads

QKShooter,
    That information is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing it! You wouldn't happen to have any pics around would you? I'd love to see them!

Todays pics are of some gorgeous Asian Walnut. Totally ubercool curly figure!
    Enjoy the beauty!
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Just time for a quick hit tonight - a lot going on in training right now.....
    Tonight I offer up some very nice Afzelia Burl from SE Asia. Rich carmel coloring and knockout burl patterns make this wood a winner every time! Hope you enjoy it!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    "QKShooter,
    That information is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing it! You wouldn't happen to have any pics around would you? I'd love to see them!"

Nope, I had some in a tusk section some years ago (a pretty nice section) but, I made some fancy ivory guitar picks out of it.

That's too bad QKShooter, I would have like to seen some of it. Oh well.....
    one more week and I'll be home, can't wait.
    Tonights beauty is brought to us via some fiddleback maple. Fiddleback Maple is always cool, and I think it looks wonderful in all of it's natural glory without the stains that you so often see it wearing. The figure is very deep and 3Dish. It's a very distinctive wood!
    Hope you enjoy the beauty!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Tonights beauty is presented in some "ice blue" Buckeye Burl. This particular set has some gorgeous color and graining to it to be sure! A prime example of natures beauty, I hope you all enjoy it!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

The last few days in California were in the field with no access to the internet, so I apologize for the lengthy absence. I'm home again, and it's good to be here!
    Todays set is a beautiful example of spalted maple that has been crosscut. Quite a gorgeous pattern in this set. Spalted woods can be quite the eye pleasers when you find the right block, but at this level of spalting, will definitely need to be stabilized prior to fabrication. This toughens the wood up quite nicely and makes it usable for grip panels.
    Enjoy the beauty!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Wow, the cross cut really makes that stand out!

Todays set is in one of my personal favorites, Amboyna Burl. This set has a few inclusions in it. These things divide people - they either LOVE them or they HATE them. Very seldom is there any in the middle.
    Enjoy the pics,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Tonights pics take us back to Snakewood. Both sets exhibit the highly sought after pattern that makes this wood as beautiful as it is rare. Touted as the "rarest wood in the world", it is sometimes sold by the ounce with this figure level. Most people have never even seen real Snakewood, let alone held it or owned it. I am privileged to have worked with so many beautiful examples of this wood.
    Enjoy the beauty!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Okay, it's official - I go full time into grips next week! My last day here at the office is a week from tomorrow. WOOHOO! I can't wait!
    Todays beauty is brought to us by a wood that is VERY solid and great for use in pistol grip panels, but is often overlooked just because it's not "wild" - Bloodwood. The great red color really looks great on frames whether stainless or dark. I have it all over my shop and even I forget about it sometimes. It's a great wood to consider if you're looking for a material to use on your pistol.
    I honestly don't remember what weapon I made these for. The customer sent me the stock grips and pics and I used the grips for spacing and the pics to improve the fit and sent them out. If anyone knows what these go to, please chime in. Oh, they're stippled also.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Nice Snakewood. There is lots of Snakewood being sold on Ebay that lacks the classic "snake" patterning.
    These are really super looking.

Always such great looking grips. Only if I still had my 1911. Hopefully one day I'll own another so I can purchase some of your grips.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Romans, you live in KC with me. You could just swing by the shop and check them out in person.

Todays set is Spalted Maple that was from a block that was almost too far gone to save. Maple burl is usually more of a gold or butterscotch color, but this block was from a log that had been down for so long, it's much "greyer". Next step - dust. I sent it off to the stabilizers to see what would happen and the blanks came back solid and usable. It's a very unique look for Maple Burl to be sure. I think it's pretty cool.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is another American beauty - Redwood burl.
    Lot's eyes, swirling graining and the unique color make these things real attention getters. Redwood burl is a beautiful wood that is lightweight enough when dry that it really benefits from stabilization. I just received in the shop, a new batch of LACE redwood burl that is out of this world gorgeous. I can't wait to get it back from the stabilizer and get it worked.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Links