What's new at Sarge's Grips - Page 49

What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kinda look like stone to me. Oh, in response to the earlier "pits" question, I agree that sealed pits add character....

Page 49 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Kinda look like stone to me.

Oh, in response to the earlier "pits" question, I agree that sealed pits add character.

Holy Cow!!! I just found this thread and I must say, you have some incredible talent Sarge, as well as a fine eye for beauty! I'm ready to go out and buy a 1911 just so I can get a set of your grips to put it on. The problem is, I'd have to get about 50 guns because I can't decide which grips I like best.

I've done tree work all of my life and have always desired to create something from the many varieties of wood that I cut each day. I just never bothered to pursue this desire. Seeing your amazing work here has renewed my longing to create, or should I say co-create because the creation has already been done.

My hat's off to you sir for your wonderful talent and willingness to share it with us. Thank you!!!

Mr. Sir - Thank you very much! I'm always glad to hear that people enjoy seeing the beauty of nature captured in grips. I'm also glad to hear you want to get into it! I will warn you though that it is HIGHLY addictive. You'll soon be spending every spare moment (and even some not so spare moments) in your shop satisfying that itch to see what's buried in that chunk of wood. I wish you well, and would love to see some of your work when you get it going!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is a wood that I've always marveled at - Buckeye Burl with the cream/blue mix. This all natural mix of colors is beautiful to me and I wonder how such stark differences can be found in a single piece of wood. I hope you enjoy it as I do!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Jumping about 80 sets ahead in the process, but here are two sets of natural elephant Ivory that I knocked out for a customer this weekend. They came out quite well!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is one that I only recently have had the pleasure of working with. It's LACE Redwood Burl. Much like "normal" Redwood burl, but with the addition of the lace which appears to be flowing down over the burl pattern. It's really beautiful stuff! Unique. I'm glad that one of my distributors turned me onto the piece that he had received. It's light weight and will need to be stabilized for anything requiring daily use, but it's rock solid after doing so.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is a beautiful dark Afzelia Burl. A lot of wild movement in this set which is one of the great things about Afzelia Burl. It can also have some outstanding burl eyes and circular pattern to it as well. It runs from a light carmel to this darker range in color. It's beautiful stuff!
    Enjoy the pics
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Well, let's see what you guys think about this set. Genuine Stingray skin. The skin is covered with thousands of tiny BB like balls of small, but various sizes. This is the Stingrays "armor" against predators. The result is a grippiness that's smooth at the same time. Very interesting! I've been working on how to accomplish using this stuff for months now and finally refined the system so that the finished grips are the right size, shape and thickness for normal use. There's a lot more to it than I imagined up front! The pelts are about 1/8" thick on their own and feel just like suede leather on the backside. It's really cool stuff!
    Interested in what your thoughts are.....
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

VIP Member
    Are those solid stingray leather or did you overlay them on wood?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator

Sarge....You are following in the footsteps of John Paul Cooper and of the mystical, magical ancients.

History of the Stingray - Enigmatic, Powerful, & Beautiful.

The mystique of the stingray has captivated a select group of artisans and consumers since ancient times.

These other worldly, winged phantoms of the deep evolved from sharks more than 200 million years ago.

Early cultures became fascinated with their primitive beauty and grace.

Possessing a stealth-like aura stingrays can soar through waters at amazing speeds while maneuvering with incredible dexterity.

The stingray's remarkably durable, multi-patterned and colored skin also attracted early craftsmen believing this power could be transmitted into their craft.

The earliest civilizations believed the stingray brought strength and power to anyone who handled it.

The backbone, resembling clusters of white pearls, was thought to be a protector of good luck and prosperity.

Egyptian craftsmen prized the beauty and durability of the stingray skin by fashioning armor and other decorative items.

These were discovered in the tombs of ancient pharaohs.

Han and Shogun Samurai also used the raw skins for armor as well as handles on their Samurai swords.

In more contemporary times, 18th century French artisan Jean-Claude Galuchat fashioned the stingray skin for Louis XV into several commodities such as sheaths, wig cases and snuff boxes.

Others colored the skins and combined them with precious metals to make various crafts.

But it was English artisan, John Paul Cooper, who took the craft to new heights.
    From 1899 to 1933 his London studio produced nearly 1,000 artifacts veneered with stingray leather including vases, elaborate boxes, candlesticks and frames.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Are those solid stingray leather or did you overlay them on wood?
    They are laid over solid wood blanks made to the proper size taking into account the thickness of the hide. I can't tell you any more than that or I'd be giving away secrets that I worked hard to develop.

QKShooter - You're always a fount of information. Cool stuff, thanks for cluing us in!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

How about a set of some beautiful all blue/green set of Buckeye Burl? The burl coverage and color of this wood is gorgeous.
    Enjoy, and I hope you all have a great weekend!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

A Memorial Day bonus - King Cobra grips on an M1911 knife. The knife is mine, the grips are going to a person who has one also and wanted a set on it to match the King Cobra grips I made for his pistol. Pretty cool.
    Enjoy, and please take a moment this weekend to remember all of our service members and their sacrifices as well as those of their family members. Without them, our freedom would not exist.
    A big HOOAH out to all who have served or loved and worried over someone who has. THANK YOU!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

How about a drop dead gorgeous set in some primo Australian Red Mallee burl? This wood is striking! It's also hard, so makes great grip panels. On the downside, it does have a lot of little holes and fissures in it. Just the nature of the wood. The can easily be filled for a glass smooth finish. Also, with this wood, you REALLY need to let it dry to under 10% to work. I learned that the hard way. If it's not fully dry, it will shrink over time and cause problems. None that can't be fixed, but it's much better not to have the problem in the first place.
    Anyway, I hope you all had a great weekend!
    Enjoy the beauty,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

That is such a beautiful wood!

Sponsored Links