What's new at Sarge's Grips - Page 51

What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These sure are rare as heck looking....

Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Administrator
    These sure are rare as heck looking.

Administrator
    Nice job on the ivories.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Hey Sarge are you still planning on P7 and BHP grips? (Hint, hint)
    Yes to both! I'm out of the country for a week starting next tuesday, and hopefully when I get back, I'll have the first set of P7 grips done. I've already got some prototypes of the BHP's done, so they're close too.
    Sometimes I need 36 hours in a day.
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    I'm really glad you guys like the woods!

Today's pics are of a very nice set of curly Maple that has been colorized in a royal blue. I'm not a big pusher of unnatural colors, but this set came out really well and the figure is beautiful. A good example of what you can get if you choose to color stabilize your wood.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

I LOVE those!

Jumping about 9 pages ahead in pics again, but I'd like opinions on this set.......
    Some of you know that I've been searching for a reliable supplier of camel bone in sizes that a big enough to actually fit the frame by the time grips are made. None are available in the US and are all too narrow by 1/8" or more, so I started looking around a direct custom supplier from India. I didn't know that extra 1/8" was going to be such a problem, but I've been waiting literally MONTHS for this order to be done and ready to ship. Cutting to the chase - I grew tired of waiting and have been looking for something else that may fill a void. I came across some Elk Horn pieces that were big enough for me to cut into grips, so I bought them and this is the first set. The Elk Horn has some natural blue/gray coloring that I find interesting. I'd love to hear your candid opinion on what you see. Whether you like them or not, please be honest and let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    They look great.
    Nice coloration.

That is definitely grip-worthy material. It looks good.

Those are good looking grips, but they're not comparable to the camel bone. I love the camel bone though.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

What is cool about those elk horn grips is that they look like sun bleached wood. They would make some absolutely stunning Colt revolver grips.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I like the elk horn better than the camel bone. It is more interesting, with a pattern to them. I think Biomortis has it right, it is kind of like sun bleached wood or driftwood.

It seems from the replies that there is interest in it, even if it's not for everyone. Fair enough? Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them!
    This will be the last pictures for a week as I'm heading out today for the annual live aboard diving trip with the guys to the Sea of Cortez. I will be back next monday afternoon, and start up here again next tuesday morning.

Todays wood is Zebrawood. An African hardwood, it's not hard to imagine where this wood got it's name. Sharp, zig-zgging black veining running through a cream colored base wood - it can look a LOT like it's name sake at times. There are a number of ways that you can cut Zebrawood that will affect the finished look and tone of the wood. You can have straight black lines for almost a pinstripe suit look, you can cut them diagonally to move the eyes in a certain direction or compliment angles and lines already present in the piece that it's on. I cut these so that the veining would show up more as arching details. I think it's beautiful stuff overall! It also has a depth to it. You can see a "symptom" of this in the pics. See how one panel looks darker than the other? That's strictly because of the graining moving the light in the grips. These are bookmatched from the same piece of wood. As you roll it under light, it will shimmer at you from inside the wood. It's really quite beautiful!
    Some people do have allergy problems with this wood however. Most are fine as long as it's in a finished project, and only have problems with the airborne dust, however, if you are prone to airborne allergies, I'd not take a chance. If you're not, then enjoy the beauty!
    See you in a week!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

I am back in country after a great trip! I'll start this back up in the morning. See you then!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Sorry guys, I couldn't get on here for a while. Don't know if the site was down or if it was on my end, but here I am today.
    Again, I'm jumping WAY ahead here, but todays set was a custom order that went out the day I left for my trip. It's genuine whoolly mammoth tooth in snakewood. Wow! 40,000 years of history on the worlds rarest wood. A very unique set to say the least!
    Hope you enjoy the pic. I was in such a hurry to get it out before I left, that I only had time to snap the one pic.
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Another material that I just got in to the shop - Buffalo Horn. It's beautiful with it's off black color and deep patterns inside the material. Overall, very cool!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

This is sometimes called "Silver Amboyna", and I think you can figure out why. It's Amboyna Burl, but to be Silver Amboyna it should meet two criteria - 1) It should be all sapwood 2) It should have the burl clusters and figure (not just be the lighter colored sapwood). This wood has depth and beauty that force you to stare into it in person. It's really quite beautiful.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Sponsored Links