What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know, sometimes I get all wrapped up in what we call the "exotics" and I forget to look for utter beauty right here all ...

Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

You know, sometimes I get all wrapped up in what we call the "exotics" and I forget to look for utter beauty right here all around me. I have to come back and appreciate the beauty that our own Walnut can have and the joy it can give my eyes as they slowly go over the surface and see the depth and wild patterns that it can possess. I hope you enjoy the pics of this beautiful wood as much as I do.
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

2. Remove Ads

Jumping way out of order here, but I was excited about this set. This is more natural Buffalo Horn, but look at the colors and beauty in these scales! The horn I get is quite rough, and it was not until I started the final few stages of sanding that I had a clue of the beauty held within. Stuff like this just makes me want to skip sleeping and get back out to the shop.
    I hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Another wood that looks 3-D.

This will be the last post for a few days as I'm leaving the country for a week starting tomorrow. When I get back, we'll start up again!
    This post is some unusual Amboyna Burl. A different mix of not only colors, but smoke gray mixed in them. The larger pattern instead of the tight eyes. It all merges into something special and beautiful.
    Enjoy the pics, and see you next week!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Ok.... since Sarge is gone to a foreign land ( probably lost) , here's a very poor substitute pic of some Mascasscar Ebony grips from Sarge.

Last edited by JD; July 18th, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

That's the spirit! Thanks for keeping Sarge's thread going in his absence. Your grips look great on that pistol.

I forgot what wood this is but, it sure looks nice. www.thefinergrain.com

Last edited by JD; July 18th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Okay, I'm back from what was a GREAT trip.
    Today's set is another domestic wood that is beautiful - Quilted Maple. While I prefer it in its natural color, this wood is popular with those who use stain as the patterns really pick the colors up and it comes out beautifully. Of course, there are varying levels of figure from a mild curl to very tight and spectacular. This set had a "hidden" bark inclusion that I didn't see until they were cut. Luckily, the inclusion happened to be in a perfect spot and just added to the set. An American wood worth looking at no matter what your project is.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is an Aussie beauty - Jarrah with a curly figure. Jarrah is one of the many varieties of the Mallee family that is found throughout Australia. All of them are beautiful! A mellow reddish color is the norm for this wood and it can be plain, curly, or even found in burl form. Hard and solid, it's great for use in grip panels and other demanding roles.
    Hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is unique. Most people never see Teak burl, as it's pretty rare. When "burl cut" it displays dots instead of eyes, like most woods. It also has some great and stark layers to the wood that really show up when it's shaped. The first pic shows what I'm talking about.
    Well, you know I always pursue the "what if's?" in woods, so I cut a couple of pieces in the "ray cut" direction and whoa! The beauty just jumped out! The second two pics show this cut. There is a hard curl to it and the rings are simply gorgeous. I'm so glad that I tried it, and I hope you can enjoy the beauty of it!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Another striking wood is Black Ash Burl as shown here on a Sig P238. This particular set has so many eyes packed in it that there's eyes inside of eyes. The darker overall spalt just adds to it. This wood can be found like this, or all light colored which gives a beautiful light carmel to dark cream color. I would suggest that you get it stabilized before working with it, as this wood is usually light weight and could use the extra toughness.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is some Afzelia Burl that I found that has HUGE eyes and swirls in it. It's a unique look for Afzelia Burl which is usually much tighter pattern and is a darker color with quite a few inclusions in it. Afzelia is a wood that originates from SE Asia. It has a great rich color that goes with just about any frame finish, light or dark.
    Hope you had a good weekend, and enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Okay, check this out for rare!
    GENUINE whoolly mammoth tooth slabs inset into Snakewood (the rarest wood in the world). Wow! These were a custom order for a gentleman who said he wanted the "oldest and rarest" put together in a set. Just goes to show what imagination can do!
    Enjoy the pic!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Here's another unique set. Officers in Stingray. I'm exploring more "skin"type grips and have ring lizard pelts in the shop right now to try. I also have Shark skin that I'm chomping at the bit to try too. I'm looking seriously at a 9' Python pelt. We'll see...........
    Enjoy the pic!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Beautiful grips, Sarge. Hubby and I were looking at your website, do you also offer checkering on any grips? Just askin'
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Links