What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, one more skin pic, then it's back to the woods for a while. ;) This set is Lizard skin. I took them from where ...

Page 58 of 80 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Okay, one more skin pic, then it's back to the woods for a while. ;)
    This set is Lizard skin. I took them from where the back in transitioning into the belly. I think they look cool.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

2. Remove Ads

Those lizard grips are the coolest grips I've ever seen. It looks like the white has been scraped away in places to reveal the gray underneath!

I want to pick up a 1911 just so I could put those on it!

Todays set is done in Fire Box Elder Burl. Box Elder Burl is beautiful on it's own, known for it's great figure and depth, but when you add the natural red into it, it goes over the top!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Okay, I'm back! Was gone on a 3 day out of state range with my unit.
    Todays posting is not grips, but a situation that I hope you'll find funny. I recently sent 4 of my 1911's off to my well known and highly respected gunsmith for a comparison shootout. While he had them, I had him do a couple of things to two of them. One of them that he wasn't supposed to do anything too, was my Dan Wesson CCO, which he previously altered to fit my tastes (STI long carbon trigger, ambi safety). The first pic shows the CCO as I sent it to him:

I got an email from him a couple of days later asking me if the changes he made were to my liking. Wondering what in the world he was talking about, I opened the link and this was what met my eyes:

Imagine my shock for the first few milliseconds while my brain struggled to force the fact that my gunsmith has a wonderful sense of humor to the forefront of my thinking. Once it got there, I had one heck of a good laugh! I hope it provides a chuckle for you as well.
    Just to clarify what actuallyl happened - he had an extra Kimber frame that was there for a metal treatment, so since he had to blast it anyway, he figured he'd paint it pink and use it in the pic before he did. My CCO was never in any danger. ;)
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Hahaha!! You must've stopped breathing for a minute when you first saw that picture!

Todays wood is Cocobolo. This wood has taken a large share of the wood used for grips from manufacturers these days, because it's a stable and reliable wood that can have great beauty to it. In some pieces, you'll find erratic directions like in the set below. See how the direction of the veining just intersects from two different directions? Also, the colors present in this wood are very nice. Some of it, when freshly worked, is a bright purple believe it or not. Of course with exposure to air and sun, that gives way to great reds and oranges, but it's beautiful to see while it's there!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is Thuya Burl, which as you may know is VERY restricted in it's harvest and import. It's quite rare, and even more rare in the level of burl and figure shown in this example. It's beeeeeautiful stuff that just makes people stare. The rich brown color and dark burl eyes, combined with the big swirl found in the graining make this stuff worth the effort to track down and bring in. Hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Very nice!

Beautiful! If you ever start making for Sig P232 I would love to see some!

I think I've got a new favorite - Anaconda Skin. This stuff has large scales that are a brown so dark, that they appear black in all but bright light. Each scale has a tiny splatter of red along the bottom edge. This stuff is like armor and is very cool IMO.
    Hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Sorry, got a little busy the last few days, not to mention sleep deprivation. :D
    Todays wood is an example of naturally two toned Afzelia Xylay. The AZ is known for its 3D figure pattern - it really is amazing - but the two tone in this set is great too. Just shows you some of the possibilities that are out there. The two tone occurs in the parts of the tree where the heartwood meets the sapwood (light outer wood to darker inner wood) and is beautiful. Obviously, there is a limited amount of this stuff per tree, so it's a little harder to get, and even more so to get with a mix like this. It is part of the astounding beauty of nature.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Here's something I've been working on with an engraver for a while now - engraved and filled grip panels. This is just the first of multiple designs/colors to come. Like? Dislike? I'd love to get opinions. Any and all opinions as they're all helpful.
    The second set is one that is on my own perosnal and new Dan Wesson VBOB.
    Thanks!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

I think it's an excellent feature to make available for your grips. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks Nekron. There are SO many things I want to do, but there's only 24 hours in a day and 8760 hours in a year. ;)
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Those are great Sarge.

Links