What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, what do you know....there ARE other people in here besides Nekron and myself. :D Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the woods! Sarge...

Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Well, what do you know....there ARE other people in here besides Nekron and myself. :D
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the woods!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Nekron, those look great! I love the different burls Sarge has been posting and I'm actually starting to prefer the way he covers the MSH pin. It just looks cleaner somehow.
    You're right, it is a cleaner look. Also, the grip is slightly more "filling" than the stock grips, as you notice that Sarge's grips actually cover the grip frame edge to edge.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    Well, what do you know....there ARE other people in here besides Nekron and myself. :D
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the woods!
    Sarge
    I actually just spotted this thread the other night for the first time, I normally pass up the stickies but decided to look, glad I did. Cant wait to have the extra $$$ to order a set. I will have to email you directly before I do in order to ensure I order ther right grips (I am new to 1911's, I only know Glocks).
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Well, Justherenow, on behalf of all of us 1911 freaks, let me welcome you to the club! I own many weapons, but it seems my top 10 are all 1911's. They are just special in the world of pistols. Hope you enjoy yours as we do ours!

Now, on to grips.......
    Buffalo horn finished in satin. These are shown on a Dan Wesson CCO. I really like this material - it's hard, but not too brittle, and has some great subtle markings and shadows down inside the material itself. You never know what you're going to have until you get it shaped to see it. Beautiful and tough stuff.
    Enjoy the pics,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Here's African Blackwood. Almost like Gabon Ebony, except this wood also has graining patterns in it as well. The pics are much lighter than the wood is in hand. I'm no picture taker unfortunately. Actually the grips are almost black. Either way, it's a beautiful and hard wood. The graining can run from mild to jagged and wild.
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Here's a set of Afzelia Xylay with what is called a "waterfall figure". I bet you can figure out why. Very cool stuff.
    Enjoy the beauty!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Niiiiiice.

Sorry all. Busy, busy, busy with special orders.
    How about a very cool set showing off some primo Walnut? I love it when the walnut gets into all the radical movement and the different colors. This set came from a burl although it doesn't have any burl eyes or clusters. Sure is pretty stuff!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Sponsor
    Okay, it's official - I go full time into grips next week! My last day here at the office is a week from tomorrow. WOOHOO! I can't wait!
    Todays beauty is brought to us by a wood that is VERY solid and great for use in pistol grip panels, but is often overlooked just because it's not "wild" - Bloodwood. The great red color really looks great on frames whether stainless or dark. I have it all over my shop and even I forget about it sometimes. It's a great wood to consider if you're looking for a material to use on your pistol.
    I honestly don't remember what weapon I made these for. The customer sent me the stock grips and pics and I used the grips for spacing and the pics to improve the fit and sent them out. If anyone knows what these go to, please chime in. Oh, they're stippled also.

Enjoy!
    Sarge
    I didn't check to see if anyone answered this already so forgive me if I have been proven wrong or am being redundant.
    Those are similar in shape to the stock grips on my Llama, Commander size. Not exactly identical but close enough that I'd bet they are for a Llama or Firestorm of some flavor.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Sponsor
    Jumping about 80 sets ahead in the process, but here are two sets of natural elephant Ivory that I knocked out for a customer this weekend. They came out quite well!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

Sarge,
    I love every pic that I have seen here and I also love the custom inlay Micarta grips you made for me. But there is just nothing like the simple elegance of ivory on nickel(or stainless steel)!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Sponsor
    Jumping about 9 pages ahead in pics again, but I'd like opinions on this set.......
    Some of you know that I've been searching for a reliable supplier of camel bone in sizes that a big enough to actually fit the frame by the time grips are made. None are available in the US and are all too narrow by 1/8" or more, so I started looking around a direct custom supplier from India. I didn't know that extra 1/8" was going to be such a problem, but I've been waiting literally MONTHS for this order to be done and ready to ship. Cutting to the chase - I grew tired of waiting and have been looking for something else that may fill a void. I came across some Elk Horn pieces that were big enough for me to cut into grips, so I bought them and this is the first set. The Elk Horn has some natural blue/gray coloring that I find interesting. I'd love to hear your candid opinion on what you see. Whether you like them or not, please be honest and let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks!
    Sarge

These are almost as simplistically elegant as the ivory...but with depth(?)

Beautiful!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

I wish I was more of a photographer and could capture the extreme amount and depth of figure in this set of Koa grips, but I guess I was born without the photography gene. You can see some of it, but the pictures don't do it justice. The wood is Koa from Hawaii, and has been used there for centuries for literally everything from canoes, to war clubs to jewelry. It's also highly prized for use in high end ukelelis (sp?), and with good reason, it's beautiful stuff!
    Enjoy the pics,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

How about some Honduran Rosewood burl? This stuff is just outstanding! The intricate graining, depth and rich colors just make me stare. I'm SO glad that I finally found a block. Now I just have to play the waiting game while it dries enough to use the rest of it. Gorgeous stuff is it not?
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    You are perpetually outdoing yourself Sarge.

Thanks QKS, but you know the real deal.... I'm just delving into the beauty that nature offers us and finding new and cool stuff. It's very gratifying to make a cut into a block and see this kind of special greatness. I get a rush every time I do it. I have the best job in the world my friend!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Links