Defensive Carry banner

What's new at Sarge's Grips

246K views 1K replies 106 participants last post by  Evilrandy 
#1 ·
This thread will simply show new sets as they get done and showcase some of nature's extreme beauty for all to enjoy. I work with woods that many people never heard of let alone get a chance to see, and this is a way of sharing them. If you have any questions, comments, whatever, feel free to jump in. Hopefully you'll be able to come here most day during the week and catch a glimpse of beauty to start your day right.
I hope you enjoy it!
Sarge

#2 ·
Here's one to get the ball rolling.
This set combines two African hardwoods - Bubinga and Wenge. Bubinga ranges from rich browns to deep reds and can have very mild to wild veining running through it. A very solid wood, it's perfect for grip panels. Wenge is always dark, but depending on how you cut it can have very straight graining or wild "all over the place" graining. Both of these woods give you a range from which to choose how you want the grips to look. This pair is simply a Bubinga stripe through a field of Wenge with all of it set on a base of Maple. Kind of gives things a "framed" look on the pistol that is quite cool.
Sarge

#5 ·
Sarge,
Are you keeping busy enough doing 1911 panels or have you ever considered doing panels for other firearms?

Beautiful work.

Hoss

#6 ·
Hoss,
At the present time I am only doing 1911's and the normal variants. I have plans though in the next two months to branch out dramatically. Once I do, just about any grip for just about any weapon will be possible. It may require the owner sending me the original grips to use as a template (obviously returned to them safe and sound) along with a picture of them on the weapon, but the end result should be better fitting and beautiful grips. I also plan on being able to carve images into the grip panels at that time. The wife and I are trying to decide whether I should keep this as a hobby or go into it full time, and the answer to that will determine the money laid out for equipment that will allow me to do that or not.
Thanks for the question!
Sarge

#7 ·
I'll keep an eye out for you posting that you can now do others. I have a new Sig 239 that could use a set of your grip panels. The toughest thing would be deciding which ones.

Hoss

#9 ·
I have been stabilizing them myself, but recently found a professional service that I'm starting to send them to along with the others that are helped by the service like Ash Burl, Redwood burl etc.
I hope to have the one piece of missing equipment that will allow me to branch out quite a bit in the next month or so.
Thanks!
Sarge

#11 ·
Thanks Bumper!

On most days I plan on posting pics of grips made in different woods. This will let many people see some woods that they never knew existed, and hopefully it will give you a moment to appreciate the beauty found in nature.
Todays first pic is Fishtail Oak from Australia. Some call it Leopardwood as well. Unique rays running through the wood give it it's unusual graining that often times resembles scales. True Fishtail Oak is heavy and pretty dense. Sometimes people get this wood confused with Lacewood which is very lightweight and usually reddish orange.

The next pics are of a set made from Koa which is found Hawaii. This Koa has a great curly figure that shifts and shimmers as you roll it under the light. This wood has been used for centuries in the making of everything from canoes, to jewelry to war clubs. Beautiful stuff!

Come back tomorrow for pics of a different beautiful wood!
Sarge

#49 ·
That is stunning !! Can you do the whole grip in Mammoth Tooth? It looks better than a lot of the Mastodon grips and knife handles I have seen. BTW are'nt Mastodon and Mammoth the same creature.

#14 ·
There are many beautiful woods in the world and the 1911 is my favorite "frame" on which to display them. I'm hooked on both the wood and the weapon.

Todays wood is spalted Afzelia Xylay. This wood is VERY 3D. You would swear you could reach out and feel the ridges that you see, but when you do it's totally smooth. A very unique wood that comes from SE Asia. Great figure like this is getting harder and harder to come by making it even more unique. It always looks like tree roots under sand to me, but I'm half nuts, so what do I know? Anyway, enjoy the beauty of it!
Sarge

#15 ·
Todays wood is quite unique in that it's purple and that is it's NATURAL color. Purpleheart, when freshly cut, is a brown color. Exposure to the UV rays of the sun allow it to turn to this elegant purple color. The intensity of the purple ranges from board to board with some being a very bright almost neon purple, and others being a very dark and subtls purple. This wood is hard and dense making it perfect for use in pistol grip panels. These panels have a beautiful curly figure as well. Neat stuff!
Enjoy!
Sarge

#16 ·
Todays wood is Koa from Hawaii. Koa has been used for centuries in everything from jewelry to canoes to war clubs. Koa ranges in color from a lighter honey color to a rich dark brown and can have no figure or go to the other extreme and have some very heavy and deep curl figure like shown here. A beautiful wood to be sure!
Sarge

#19 ·
*sigh*

I can't wait to get my custom 1911 put together. :smile:

Reactions: pilot101
#23 ·
Here's a twist - This is a set I did for a customer who wanted something that very closely resembled natural Ivory, but without the worries of it. This was my answer. I made these out of Corian which is impervious to cleaners, weather, sweat, normal wear and cracking. I stippled the grips as you can hopefully see in the pics. They came out quite well and fit the frame lines like a glove which is something I always strive for.
Anyway, it's a little different, so enjoy the pics!
Sarge

#24 ·
Okay, these are just too cool to not share. Check out the beauty of nature displayed in these spalted Maple grips! The wood was way too soft to use for anything on it's own, but I sent the pieces off to be professionally stabilized and now they're solid and great for use in grips. Beautiful wood!
Enjoy,
Sarge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.