What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my first 1911 back in December. I didn't pay much attention to this thread before, now it's one of the first threads ...

Page 65 of 80 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

I just got my first 1911 back in December. I didn't pay much attention to this thread before, now it's one of the first threads I hit when I log on. Looking Good.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

2. Remove Ads

Hey Mer, good to see you over here! ;)
    Todays set is some tightly packed Redwood Burl. I like this wood not only because it's just beautiful, but the way the graining flows around each eye is just very cool! It also has some great deep shimmer to it. Redwood is a fairly light weight wood, but does well in grips.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is a mystery to me...... it's Pecan, that's not in question, but I honestly have no idea what causes the red streaking running up through the wood. I do know that I like it though! It's not a spalt, and it's not spread out enough to be any kind of natural mineral staining. It's got me stumped. I bought a whole board that is this way. It was the only one in the bin. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is done in brown figured Bubinga. Bubinga is an African hardwood and is perfect for use in grip panels. Hard, durable and beautiful, there is no downside to this wood.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is Black Locust Burl. It's got a light color to it, much like that of Box Elder Burl. It's burl pattern is varied and random and the portions not having the burl pattern are interesting with wild waves and sharp graining featuring jagged patterns within the grain. It is a hard wood and really stinks when it gets too hot during fabrication. ;) The color of the wood does change with exposure to UV rays. It can go golden, to a light reddish brown. It's beautiful stuff, and I hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is a piece of drop dead gorgeous Afzelia Xylay in all of it's 3D glory. Sharing top billing on this set is the extreme 3D looking figure and the rich, varied color found only in select areas. Absolutely wonderful and special stuff!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Honduran Rosewood Burl - This stuff is just flat out gorgeous. Some is lighter, some is darker. Some has wild veining, some has eye coverage. Each blank can change drastically from the one you just cut off the block, but they are all a pleasant surprise for the eyes. Hard, heavy and beautiful, you just can't go wrong. I hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

If you go to post #954 a page back and revisit the gorgeous walnut set there, you'll find it hard to believe that this other gorgeous set came from the same piece, but it did. The piece I took these sets from is so wild and varied it's hard to imagine without actually seeing it. Full of natures beauty, and a pure joy to behold!
    This set has mottled colors as well as a deep figure that probably won't show up well in the pics.
    Hope you enjoy it!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays stuff is a great example of natural mineral staining. I didn't color this wood at all. This is a natural thing that happens when things get into the trees water supply and are sucked up through the roots causing this staining from the inside. It's always beautiful stuff to see! Of course the curly figure and the spalting help a little bit too!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays sets are all different, but have a central theme - Snakeskin. The Cobra skin is not only beautiful, it also has a unique and subtle/medium texture to it. Each of the black lines is raised, rough (about 240 grit feeling) ridge that provides great tactile feel and grip. The Rattlesnake sets were eye opening too. Each of the scales has what is almost a trident shape raised that provides a different, yet grippy texture as well. So, not only is snakeskin gorgeous and unique, it's also great FEELING in the hand. Hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays beauty comes in the form of Honduran Rosewood Burl. In this set, I really love the way the figure happened after growth of the tree as evidences by the way the curly figure MOVES the graining around as you can see in the pics. Much like looking at the bottom of a pond through ripples in the surface. It's a wonderful and wondrous thing to see. Of course, the color and pattern in the HRB itself sets the bar very high in the beauty department.
    Hope you enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

I've been looking for grips for my new Sig P238 SAS. I came across Sarge's and they are the finest I've seen. Beautiful work! I would love to have a set in either Honduran Rosewood Burl or Walnut Burl. I didn't see any available on your website. Can you custom make me a set? I'll eventually want a set of thin bobtails for my custom 1911. Thanks.

Moradillo, with its dark, rich browns and darker streaks, is very nice on a pistol. An elegant look without any "loudness". Hard and dense too, it's just all around "right".
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Don't misunderstand me...they are always all beautiful but, these (below) are just extra, extra neat.
    I've never seen anything even remotely resembling those amazing 3D looking veins before.

Afzelia Xylay with that figure is getting harder and harder to find. It is very cool isn't it? Glad you like it QKS!
    Todays wonderful wood is African Blackwood. Lot's of visual interest with some very cool pattern and graining, while maintaining the darker color that many like to keep it more "business". Either way, it's nice stuff and beautiful to boot!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Links