What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Getting close to 44,000 hits on this thread. Lots of members sure do like looking at the beautiful grips being crafted by The Sarge....

Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1191
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Administrator
    Getting close to 44,000 hits on this thread. Lots of members sure do like looking at the beautiful grips being crafted by The Sarge.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Well, I'm glad to be able to help others see some of natures beauty that would otherwise by missed except in the "small frame".
    Today's beauty is provided by more good 'ol American Walnut. From light blond, to just off black brown. From plain to wild. From single colored to multi colored. It's just hard to imagine all the variations available in this one species of wood.
    I hope you enjoy the beauty of this particular piece!
    Sarge

Old School likes this.
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Tonights wood is Black Locust Burl. Very hard, this wood is great for use in grip panels. Of course, it's natural beauty doesn't hurt either! The burl portions are gorgeous, and where it's not covered with that, it has some great, wild graining moving around in there. If you leave it unfinished, it will turn a rich carmel brown color, along the lines of a carmelized bamboo.
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

How about Ostrich leg? The Ostrich has this armor plating that runs down it's leg for 10-13" in one strip per leg. I had a customer contact me about it, and I'd never heard of it, let alone worked with it. I'm glad he did, as now I'm bringing it in in different colors and the results are beautiful!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is from "Mother Russia" and is called Conchinchin burl. This burl varies WILDLY in color and patterns. Some is pink and green mixed in streaks, some is like this, some would have you believe it's actually simply maple due to it's pale color. One thing is certain - it's all beautiful!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Here's a wood that I haven't shown here before - Tiger Myrtle. Beautiful pale red color and black streaks make this a totally unique wood with eye catching power to spare. Beautiful stuff!
    Sarge

ZRT600 and darkstar11 like this.
    www.thefinergrain.com

Another wood fairly new to my shop is Mekong Tulipwood. It's darker than most Tulipwood that I've worked with before - instead of cream and pink, it's light brown and red/purple. It's a very cool wood with stark contrasts between the base wood and the veining. It's also quite hard and dense. I can imagine there is some out there with wild veining, by my block is pretty "predictable". Beautiful stuff, I look forward to working more with it!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Today, I'd like to ask for opinions on a style I'm thinking of doing (actually bringing back). I like these multi wood grip panels, but would like to hear from thread viewers whether or not THEY like them. Please feel free to be honest, as I'm not going to contact you, or even comment. I really would appreciate honesty either way here, so please post up your thoughts. This set is Wenge and Bubinga and gives an idea of how woods would be used together.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Sarge

RemMod597 likes this.
    www.thefinergrain.com

While I like the multi-wood grips, I've grown to love single wood grips better. Your such an artist and poet, thank you.
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

When I read "multi wood grip panels" I thought they would not be my taste. But this set is beautiful (though not as much my camel bone), I would think it would be a good niche. I personally prefer the single wood panels overall myself.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I like the multi-wood grips. I think an interesting look would be to have purpleheart wood running across some other dark wood.

Dont get it

I'm sorry guys, your grips are pretty and all that, but do they make your pistol shoot straighter and more consistent ??...To me your weapon is just a tool....you keep it clean and make sure it functions perfectly, every time because that tool is your life !!....I served 18 years in the Marine Corps, 14 of that as a Recon Marine. My rifles and pistols fire perfectly, every time....but not one of them would be in a show case...dont get me wrong guys, I am not putting you or your pistols down, I just honestly do not see the point in all the "prettiness" of a firearm.....Oh, by the way.......hello to everyone, I am new to this site........................
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by RECONMARINE View Post
    I'm sorry guys, your grips are pretty and all that, but do they make your pistol shoot straighter and more consistent ??...To me your weapon is just a tool....you keep it clean and make sure it functions perfectly, every time because that tool is your life !!....I served 18 years in the Marine Corps, 14 of that as a Recon Marine. My rifles and pistols fire perfectly, every time....but not one of them would be in a show case...dont get me wrong guys, I am not putting you or your pistols down, I just honestly do not see the point in all the "prettiness" of a firearm.....Oh, by the way.......hello to everyone, I am new to this site........................
    SEMPER FI
    Hell of a first post.

Respectfully, I would venture to say that none of us have deluded ourselves into thinking that "fancy" grips will in any way enhance the accuracy or reliability of our pistols. It is simply a way to customize and personalize them according to our individual taste(s).

Besides, haven't you ever heard of a bar-b-que gun?

Hey there ReconMarine- Welcome!
    I can only answer for myself but here go my thoughts on "pretty" grips -
    I have a rather large number of pistols, all of which are reliable to a fault, all of which are accurate. If I bring one home that isn't, it doesn't stay here long. It really doesn't matter to me whether I have one or a million though, past a point of being utterly reliable, and more accurate than I am, you eventually start working on the "looks" and making it into something that you personally enjoy looking at as well as using. Of all my pistols, NONE are in a showcase. In fact, many people would be horrified to see any number of then laying around in my wood shop with a thick coating of sawdust on them. :D I don't mistreat them, but I don't baby them either. I appreciate your post, and your point is valid. I have just moved on to a point where I like to enhance the 1911 into something that is as pleasing to see as it is to use. I see nothing wrong with having the ultimate combination of beauty AND usefulness. Just my opinion, but that's it.
    Sarge

P.S. - Thanks for the opinions so far guys!
    www.thefinergrain.com

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Sarge, the multi-would grips are just as attractive to me as the single wood grips you've posted here before (and I have purchased).

ReconMarine, just because something is functional does not mean it can't be a thing of beauty. Likewise, something pleasing to the eye (or hand) does not necessarily shoot worse (or better). Any car or truck will get you around, but I'll bet you have favorite colors and probably wash and wax your vehicles. Or for an example that may be closer to home, don't Marines have dress uniforms? Don't you dress differently when off base on leave? Does that make more sense?

Links