EOTech 3x Magnifier

EOTech 3x Magnifier

This is a discussion on EOTech 3x Magnifier within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a chance to put my EOTech 3x magnifier through its paces today, shooting my agency's qualification course (60 rounds, from 15yds to 100yds, standing, ...

Thread: EOTech 3x Magnifier

VIP Member

EOTech 3x Magnifier

Had a chance to put my EOTech 3x magnifier through its paces today, shooting my agency's qualification course (60 rounds, from 15yds to 100yds, standing, kneeling, prone) and doing some drills. It's on a flip-to-side mount, set immediately in front of the BUIS, as close to the EOTech itself as I can get it.

After zeroing at 50yds, I shot a perfect 300 on the course, and must say that the magnification at 100 and 50 yds really helped. The optics were clear (it was early morning and mostly cloudy, so there wasn't a ton of light available - I could see both the reticle and the targets quite well), the flip mount worked well, and all in all I was very impressed. I shot a confirmation zero at 50 after it was over, to see if flipping the mount off and on changed the zero, and it had not. Most of the drills were at 25yds an in, so I just flipped the magnifier out of the way again and went to work - it was a little strange seeing it sitting out there in my periferal vision, but I got used to it quickly and it didn't interfere with operation or manipulation of the weapon.

I'll have to test it out more (take it on runs with me, in and out of cars, working venues, the day to day duties for me over here) before I make final judgment, but so far I really like it. It is the best of all worlds for a carbine-length rifle meant for engagements from 0 to 300m or so, giving me instant transition from 3x (actually slightly higher than 3) to zero magnification, adding minimal bulk and weight, requiring no change of zero or sight picture, and easily getting out of the way should it break or should the EOTech itself break and I go to my BUIS (I can, in fact, shoot using the BUIS with the magnifier in place, but it magnifies the front sight post and looks a little strange. It won't change the POI very much, though).

At 400 bucks (not including the EOTech itself) it isn't dirt cheap, but I can't think of a better set up that costs any less. At this point, I can't think of a better set up at any price, but that's just me...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thanks. Nice to see a review from someone that actually uses firearms like I use a tool bag...Just a piece of everyday equipment.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I have wondered if there is anything special about the EOTech 3x and 4x magnifiers that make them cost so much?

Could I just find a way of mounting some sort of other magnifier/scope optic behind an EOTech and achieve the same results? Does anyone make a less expensive knock-off? (I know that build quality might suffer, but the zero is held within the EOTech and I am not planning on any serious sandbox use here...)

Maybe I will be off to the gunstore to go do some tests...

edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Eotech-4X-FT...3%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/QD-Flip-to-Side-...3%3A1|294%3A50

who knows how these things will hold up though...

I have read some good reviews of these:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

Administrator
    I'm sold on EOTech. I've never used the $$$ magnifier though.
    Maybe next Christmas I'll find one in my stocking.
    Glad that it's working out for you. Good forum report OPFOR and much appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Thanks for the review, OPFOR. I'll be putting one of these on my birthday/Christmas list to go with my 511.A65.

Administrator
    Well....I've recently decided to go EOTech on my SHTF Galil.

So first I bought one (what turned out to be) Total Piece Of Crap "flip mount" from a seller in Israel that is only suitable for decorating the inside of my trash can.

Then I bought a welded on mount top cover and a modified straight out replacement bolt/handle and I'm really not overjoyed with that either since I'm concerned about it not maintaining a zero during hard use. That little experiment got slightly pricey also though I think I can modify that somewhat.

Finally I found an original old Action Arms dovetail mount that I am positive will mount to the receiver rock solid.

SO....now I've already spent about $350.00+ finding a suitable mounting system even before I put another EOTech on the ol' charge card.

Par for the course though 'cause when you decide to "Go Galil" you get used to paying for everything out of the Wazoo.
    Great rifle though. Reliability of a super built AK coupled with amazing accuracy and incredible durability.
    All you need is a really FAT wallet.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    My wife bought me an Eotech 512.A65.1 for my birthday last week. For my purposes it's perfect as I believe in the KISS principle. Added a GG&G flip up cover last night so it's good to go. I'll take Eotech over the ACOG everday.

Your agency's course sounds a lot like our normal shoots we have every so often to check zero's and just maintain ability. A little bit of magnification (our ACOG's are 4X), can go a long way on such a shoot. Here's a question for ya, because I haven't used an eo-tech 3x, when you flip it out of the way, does it lock in place (I would assume so, but just curious, cause it floppin around wouldn't be too good). And did you have any difficulty manipulating it up or down while still keeping your weapon ready to work. I.E. you don't have to like use your shooting hand to manipulate it I would hope.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    when you flip it out of the way, does it lock in place (I would assume so, but just curious, cause it floppin around wouldn't be too good). And did you have any difficulty manipulating it up or down while still keeping your weapon ready to work. I.E. you don't have to like use your shooting hand to manipulate it I would hope.
    Exactly how it works probably depends on who's mount you are using. I've got an Aimpoint 3X mounted behind an Aimpoint M4. I'm using a LaRue mount that required a short rearward pull and then it "free" rotates 90 degrees to the right and locks in place, and of course just the opposite going back up.

I do use my shooting (right) hand, but I guess it should be possible to easily move it out of the way left handed. Might have to try that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links