Newbie range bag question

This is a discussion on Newbie range bag question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pardon me for "dumb" question... After reading a thread on Women & Guns forum reviewing range bags women like ... (I am a woman, although ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pardon me for "dumb" question...
    After reading a thread on Women & Guns forum reviewing range bags women like ... (I am a woman, although that doesn't really matter to my question) I bought this rangebag, and it came the other day
    MidwayUSA - Advanced Search
    If that link doesn't work, it was from Midway USA, item no. 892447

The bag appears well made for the money, and certainly better than what I was finding locally.

I have always been a backyard shooter, but am considering taking some shooting lessons, and getting a range membership to practice more, especially in winter. This is why I bought the range bag.

I have my carry gun which is a S&W 649 j frame, my older "nightstand" gun, a S&W model 66, and may purchase a 22 revolver so I can throw some less expensive rounds down range.

Question is - what do I need to carry in the bag other than guns and ammo... with revolvers you really don't need many other items do you? Oh, ear muffs, eye protection, targets, tape or stapler - that's about all I can come up with?

The main question is this. My blue plastic boxes my pistols came in won't quite fit in the range bag unless they go in diagonally - then two of them take up almost the entire case. Something tells me this is not the way the bag is supposed to be used. Is there some other way I am supposed to carry the weapons in the bag other than the manufacturer's box? The range I want to go to won't allow you to unholster a CCW gun on range... if you want to shoot it, it has to come into the range in a box or bag, not loaded on your person.

Do I need to purchase some sort of soft side case for them to carry them inside the range bag? Just wrapping in a piece of bath towel doesn't seem the thing to do...

Thanks!
    Jules

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    In addition to what you bring, I bring an extra set of eye and ear protection for a friend, because the rentals suck and sometimes a friend will forget one or both.

If you don't want to use the manufacturers boxes, you can get zip up handgun bags that will hold your guns without taking up much space, and still give them adequate protection. Most of them are pretty universal.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You could get some inexpensive soft cover gun cases to put each of your guns in. They should fit in the bag. The bag should be large enough to accommodate a couple boxes of ammo, hearing and eye protection, etc.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member
    I use the nylon pistol cases, Midway or anyone carries them and they don't cost much.

That bag would be too small for me. My range bag consists or: two pairs of ears, two sets of shooting glasses, magazines/speedloaders, all of the gun cleaning supplies and brushes, targets, handi wipes for my face and hands (for the lead)and batteries for my ears. I keep my ammo in 50 cal box.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

You may be trying to utilize only one carry bag or case, but I carry my pistols to the range in a hard shell case and the other stuff in a range bag. I have my spotting scope that will fit in the range bag in it's case and I also have a pistol rest that is pretty compact in the bag. Wow this thread got me thinking of all the stuff I carry with me to the range, no wonder it takes me so long to get ready. I think I'll take the microwave and kitchen sink out to lighten the load.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sounds like I need to get a couple of these gun pouches then. Oh, boy, even more stuff to get! LOL

I understand for those with semi autos-hope that term is right - let me rephrase to say "non-revolvers"- remember I am a newbie to "correct" terms... LOL... anyway, I understand their need for tools, oil etc due to possible jams. Also, extra magazines and such. But with my revolvers, I won't need those sorts of things??? correct? (obviously I won't need magazines with a revolver - I am not that much of a newbie - LOL)

A reply above leads me to another question. One person said they take their cleaning supplies. Does this mean you clean your gun right on the range? You don't wait until you get home?

And why would someone need batteries for their ears? Are some ear protectors battery operated?

Hand wipes - that's a good idea I would not have thought of. Probably wipes for glasses would be good too. I will add those items to my list.

I won't be taking a friend to the range... I may meet one there once in a blue moon, but he's experienced with his own gear. None of my other friends shoot. Would you still recommend I take two sets of eye/ear stuff? I only own one set now....
    Last edited by PrimalScream; January 25th, 2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: dumb question really sounded dumb the way I worded it!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Some ear protectors are battery operated and have active noise canceling. It helps you hear people talking better.

I personally use a Westone model 39 custom earplug. I can hear like normal, and it has a valve that closes whenever I shoot, so it provides full protection then. It works great, and doesn't take up any room. I carry spare foamies for friends.

Hand wipes and lens wipes are good to have. I don't take my cleaning kit though. I clean when I get home. I've never had a need for a spare set of ears or eyes for myself.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I carry
    Spare ear plugs. They take up a minimal amount of room.
    Solvent,rag, toothbrush and boresnake.
    small first aid kit.
    guns.
    Ammo.
    Lots of other stuff, but I use a LARGE bag.

Distinguished Member
    I keep a bottle of hopps #9 in my bag to wipe off the outside off the pistol before I put it in the case or holster. You also might want to get a small pistol pad or peace of carpet to set your revolver on so that it doesn't get scratched when you set it on the shooting bench. Some outdoor ranges that I have been to have cement shooting benches.

I really appreciate your responses! I did do a search a while back about range bags and what stuff to put in them when I was trying to decide what type and size bag to order. I decided I should not need to large of a bag, since I have little strength in my left hand, and cannot rack a slide, so know I will always stick to revolvers. Makes life simple.

When I did my search, I didn't recall finding any info on what to put the firearms in while in the bag. I didn't really think about it till I got the bag in hand, and realized how large it was if I didn't use the manufacturer's plastic cases... and then how small it was if I did. I vaguely remembered seeing a zippered soft side pouch in my CCW class the instructor had some of the firearms in. I was wondering if that might be what everyone carried theirs in when in the bag.

I want to be sure to check my state regulations too - don't want to be breaking the law! I believe here in Ohio unloaded firearms need to be in a bag, case or box with a latch, zipper, or buckle closure. I need to look that up for sure. I know I was ok going to class with it in the manufacturer's case. But now that I'm looking at transport in a range bag, need to be sure on that.

You have covered the basics. I also carry a cleaning rod, some patches & gun lube, a rag & a silicone cloth to wipe down your guns after shooting. A roll of tape & a stapler for hanging targets. Small soft sided zip up cases are best to transport your handguns. Some range bags have a built in sleeve or pockets for gun transport. Get your self an ammo box too, to haul your ammo to the range & carry back your spent brass, if you reload & or recycle the brass.

I would not take cleaning stuff. Most/many bags have padded inserts for the guns. How are you carrying your ammo? Maybe 2 bags is the ticket, then you can balance 1with 1 in each hand.

Remember, I am used to just going out the back door and down the hill to shoot, never had to worry about this stuff! I am lucky that I own 17 acres in the middle of nowhere. My Ex was really into guns and built a little shooting place here 25 years ago. If I am going to try to get serious about this though, I can see where going to the real range would be a "good thing." Much easier to judge distance, view target, and weather is much better inside!

Carrying ammo - I figured I would just take it in the boxes I buy it in.

Seems like you all are recommending some sort of additional box to put it in? Would I then put this box inside the range bag?

Ok, I do see I will need something to put the brass in. I don't reload, but I do know my friend I see now and then does, and I can save it for him. Guess that could be something as simple as a couple ziplock bags.

This bag does have long pockets on each side that appear to be for putting the handguns in. I just could not see myself dropping a "naked" gun down in there loose though.

I take:
    Box or two of ammo
    usually two guns (in gun rugs)
    extra magazines
    Uplula (greatest invention ever)
    rag
    cleaning supplies (although I rarely use them there)
    2 sets earmuffs
    2 sets glasses
    a short dowel (in case anything is stuck in the barrel)
    Bottle of water is nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links