Pelican 8060, Anybody have one?

This is a discussion on Pelican 8060, Anybody have one? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at a Pelican 8060 for work... does anybody have one? How do you like it? Also, does anybody know who has the best ...

Thread: Pelican 8060, Anybody have one?

Administrator

Pelican 8060, Anybody have one?

I'm looking at a Pelican 8060 for work... does anybody have one? How do you like it?

Also, does anybody know who has the best deals on these lights?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Haven't used this particular one, but I've owned similar Pelican handhelds and a few Pelican headlamps. They were all issued to me. I'm really not a big fan of them. They feel kind of cheap in the hand, and although they claim they are unbreakable, I've seen quite a few of them break. Usually the back end of it broke off, and they weren't used for real tough duty or anything either. The tail button models don't have an option to keep it off, and it's really easy to inadvertently click them on and run the batteries out.

I have had MUCH better experiences with surefire, though the lithium batteries can get pricey. My 6P LED lasts a long time though, and it's super bright. The G2 takes the same bulb if you're looking for plastic.

Just my opinion, but Pelican should stick to cases. The flashlights aren't worth it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator
    Thanks, thats the info I'm looking for. I'm not much of a flashlight guy. I do already have a few smaller Surefires and Streamlights that I've picked up along the way. I need a full size light, such as the Pelican 8060. I'm open to suggestions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Try the Surefire M3 or M4 very nice and worth the price...look at ebay they can save you a ton on surefire.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Check out your local Scuba Diving Shop. Pelican is a diving oriented company with regards to lights and cases. If you want more info and some shop names, send me a PM at divebum@earthlink.net. I think you are somewhere in Ohio. I have a few contacts in the Scuba world.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Sixto,
    I know these are probably considered old school and my needs are obviously different than someone in your profession, but for sheer durability and toughness, I still haven't found anything that beats the Maglites. I have some of these things that have been bouncing around in off-road vehicle boxes, tractor tool boxes, boats, etc. for years and as long as I don't forget to put fresh batteries in them before the old ones start leaking, I've never had one fail. Just my experience.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    A guy on my squad has one. It looks like it performs well and he has always spoken favorably about it. It does tend to turn itself on in its holster and the owner walks around doing his best impression of the "bat signal" from time to time. Because it is a rechargeable and has no "gas gauge" it is only used for patrol and not SWAT.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I recommended 7060 to my friend who is already a LEO. Plenty bright; long throw, decent flood, lightweight, and rechargeable. The 8060 is bigger and more powerful and can use regular batteries instead of the rechargeables if needed. I'd recommend it as a car light, and I'll probably get one when I get on the road. The smaller 7060 would be easier to carry around however.

The reason the flashlight tends to turn on is because the "on" button is pressed when fully seated in the light holder and when the person sits down, for then the button is pressed on. My friend had this problem until we figured it out. We couldn't figure out why the battery wasn't lasting, LOL.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I've seen more Pelican's than Surefires break while over here subjecting them to heavy use, and there are far more Surefires being used. I've got 3 of them that I use, a 6PLED that probably gets the most use and has had to have new batteries twice since I've deployed, a G2 that is a back-up in case the 6P goes down (haven't needed it except to find my 6P when I misplaced it), And a M3 on my weapon which is the brightest of em, but battery time isn't the greatest.

As far as LED's/incandescent, just my experience, but the incandescents have much better throw and seems brighter, especially for doing things like checking alleyways or sweeping a road, although for anything under 50 meters (or indoors) the LED works fine to. The LED has a much better battery life and seems a bit more indestructible though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Ditto on the better throw from incandescent. I have a 6P and a 6P LED. The 6P says 60 lumens, and the LED 120, but the incandescent "seems" brighter.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    A guy on my squad has one. It looks like it performs well and he has always spoken favorably about it. It does tend to turn itself on in its holster and the owner walks around doing his best impression of the "bat signal" from time to time. Because it is a rechargeable and has no "gas gauge" it is only used for patrol and not SWAT.
    Yes, this will be strictly for patrol use, not SWAT or Narc work. I know some are saying it is not as tough as some other lights, but I really don't think I'll be subjecting it to the abuse that a war zone will toss at it. At if I do, I can run down to the store and buy a new one if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Ditto on the better throw from incandescent. I have a 6P and a 6P LED. The 6P says 60 lumens, and the LED 120, but the incandescent "seems" brighter.
    The incandescent light throw the beam farther, seeming much brighter. I want a full size (12" or larger, "4 D" sized). I'm open to other suggestions, I want to buy this weekend.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    A few guys from various dept's around here use the 8060 lights and seem to like them .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links