Help me pick some snap caps

This is a discussion on Help me pick some snap caps within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After some debate, I have decided to purchase some snap caps. I would like to dry fire for practice, but have been scared to because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick some snap caps

After some debate, I have decided to purchase some snap caps. I would like to dry fire for practice, but have been scared to because I don't want to risk damaging anything. I don't have another gun, so if I had to send this one off I would be without

Anyway, I've got it down to these two. The A-Zoom and some Tipton ones. I'm leaning towards the Tipton because it's slightly cheaper and the color makes them automatically identifiable (great for safety and helps with finding them on floor).

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=642438

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=612279

Not sure that it matters or not, but are any better than any others?

Thanks!!!

Edit: Sorry I forgot to put the links in
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Probably doesn't matter. All it does is cushion the firing pin. Most weapons are fine to dry fire without them, and a few are not. I dry fire all the time without them in my Sig and my AR. I find them pretty useful for throwing randomly in my range mags as a dummy round to see if I'm jerking or anything.

The AZooms I have are puple, and prety identifiable as a dummy round. Haven't had experience with the Tipton ones. The Azooms get used at least once a week, and the finish is starting to chip off around the head where it hits the ejector, but otherwise they are holding up great after about a year.

After looking at the Tiptons, I'd go with the AZooms. The Tiptons are made of plastic, so I doubt they would be as durable, and have a spring inside, which seems like a gimmick to me. The AZooms are aluminum and just have a piece of soft plastic in the primer hole, which is all it needs. A spring is just something to wear out/break, and involves moving parts.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I have some of the AZoom ones as well as some orange plastic ones. When I go to the range I like to load a snap cap between every other round. This lets me practice my failure to fire drills. Only problem is the AZooms are hard to find in the dirt sometimes. I havent lost one yet but I might one day.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    These things are the bee's knee's! All others pale in comparison.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Dummy Rounds
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    as previously said, dry firing modern center fire arms is fine. Snap caps are great for mixing with live rounds for training purposes. They make for cheap, effective practice.

I have some of the A-zooms. They are made of a single piece of aluminum and are anodized to that purple color. The best thing about them is they are washable. They will fall in the mud and get grit all over them. I take them home and wash them before reusing so stuff doesn't get into the gun and barrel. After a lot of use, they will start to show wear where the "case" meets the "bullet".

hehe... wear where

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    as previously said, dry firing modern center fire arms is fine. Snap caps are great for mixing with live rounds for training purposes. They make for cheap, effective practice.

I have some of the A-zooms. They are made of a single piece of aluminum and are anodized to that purple color. The best thing about them is they are washable. They will fall in the mud and get grit all over them. I take them home and wash them before reusing so stuff doesn't get into the gun and barrel. After a lot of use, they will start to show wear where the "case" meets the "bullet".

hehe... wear where
    I ended up getting the red, cheaper ones. I have read where it is supposedly okay to dry fire without, but I have read some instances of broken strikers and I figure its super cheap insurance....plus a new toy!!!!

The tip about mixing with live rounds is good too!! Thanks for all the help guys.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Training Ammo, Dummy Rounds, Tactical Gear - ST Action Pro

I like these. I use these in my classes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

As a choice between the A-Zooms and Tiptons, I prefer the A-Zooms because the weight more closely resembles an actual round. That may not be important for you, but when I practice single load or malfunction/ejection drills, I like using something closer to the actual weight.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

cj
    I'd like to hear your long-term usage and performance of the Tiptons. I've always used A-Zooms since they're machined aluminum. I've heard about problems with plastic snap caps, but never heard Tipton mentioned directly, so I'll be curious about how they hold up!

I use A-Zooms simply because that's what my LGS has. The aluminum rims may get chewed up a little more than the brass rims of the Tiptons, but I don't think it'd be a really major issue. Plus, the purple color of the A-Zooms are just as distinguishable from live rounds as the Tipton's color.

Heck, they're not horribly expensive. Try whichever, and whenever they crap out, try the other.

-JT

I am glad someone asked about this I was curious. I am thinking of buying some myself for mixing in with live rounds.

I use A-Zooms as well, some guns will eat the rims up, aluminium isnt really that hard.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I'd like to hear your long-term usage and performance of the Tiptons. I've always used A-Zooms since they're machined aluminum. I've heard about problems with plastic snap caps, but never heard Tipton mentioned directly, so I'll be curious about how they hold up!
    I'll be sure to give a report on them!!!
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Bama,

I have both the Tipton and the A-Zoom as well as a third and have been using them for years.
    Go with A-Zoom.

Here is why...

The A-Zoom is a hollow spun aluminum projectile with a clear silicone rubber gasket where the firing pin strikes and no damage to the pin or the gasket occurs. It just flexes.
    The Tipton is a thin plastic upper wth a spring captured inside as attached to a solid brass base, which the firing pin strikes and dents...itself taking a small amount of damage too.

The A-Zoom when practicing reloading and ejection can be dropped on hard floor and not damaged.
    The Tiption if dropped on a hard surface at gun level will crack the shells plastic. This has happened tome three times now.

The A-Zoom takes a very long time to wear out, on the scale of years. But when it does wear out it is done due to the rims metal being chewed and beaten to the point that it will not extract properly.
    The Tipton plastic body between being chambered and extracted wears out relatively quickly. Either the plastic will completely fail (this occurred tome once) or the base where it mates to the brass base will crack and lose it's seal/hold resulting int the two separating. This though can be repaired with superglue which I have done once.

The A-Zoom product generally runs a tad bit smallbut not enough so to affect function in a given chambering.
    The Tipton product sizing is generally dead on.

I have been using A-Zoom for 6 and recently ordered a set in 5.56.
    I _had_ been using Tipton product for 4 yrs.

I have in A-Zoom product the following:
    5x 9mm
    5x .45 ACP
    4x 12 gauge
    2x 5.56

I have left over currently in Tipton
    3x .45 ACP (Originally had 10...and two of the three remaining broke but I repaired them with superglue)

As well I had made the huge mistake to purchase a third type years ago that is orange hollow plastic. I cannot recall the brand off hand but what garbage it was. My mistake though as I'd bought singly on price and didn't use my brains. The round fractured it's rim the first day I used it and within a month the whole pack was broken.

I currently do and would have no hesitation to refer anyone to the A-Zoom product and away from that of Tipton, cost inclusive. I ordered both my A-Zoom and Tipton products via Midway and Tipton has always been the lower cost as far as I recall.

I would purchase A-Zoom as a gift for my gunfu friends. While I'd get Tipton for my brother in law, because they look to be cool and it's low cost...and besides I know he doesn't train even as he tries to make like he does.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Bama,

I have both the Tipton and the A-Zoom as well as a third and have been using them for years.
    Go with A-Zoom.

Here is why...

The A-Zoom is a hollow spun aluminum projectile with a clear silicone rubber gasket where the firing pin strikes and no damage to the pin or the gasket occurs. It just flexes.
    The Tipton is a thin plastic upper wth a spring captured inside as attached to a solid brass base, which the firing pin strikes and dents...itself taking a small amount of damage too.

The A-Zoom when practicing reloading and ejection can be dropped on hard floor and not damaged.
    The Tiption if dropped on a hard surface at gun level will crack the shells plastic. This has happened tome three times now.

The A-Zoom takes a very long time to wear out, on the scale of years. But when it does wear out it is done due to the rims metal being chewed and beaten to the point that it will not extract properly.
    The Tipton plastic body between being chambered and extracted wears out relatively quickly. Either the plastic will completely fail (this occurred tome once) or the base where it mates to the brass base will crack and lose it's seal/hold resulting int the two separating. This though can be repaired with superglue which I have done once.

The A-Zoom product generally runs a tad bit smallbut not enough so to affect function in a given chambering.
    The Tipton product sizing is generally dead on.

I have been using A-Zoom for 6 and recently ordered a set in 5.56.
    I _had_ been using Tipton product for 4 yrs.

I have in A-Zoom product the following:
    5x 9mm
    5x .45 ACP
    4x 12 gauge
    2x 5.56

I have left over currently in Tipton
    3x .45 ACP (Originally had 10...and two of the three remaining broke but I repaired them with superglue)

As well I had made the huge mistake to purchase a third type years ago that is orange hollow plastic. I cannot recall the brand off hand but what garbage it was. My mistake though as I'd bought singly on price and didn't use my brains. The round fractured it's rim the first day I used it and within a month the whole pack was broken.

I currently do and would have no hesitation to refer anyone to the A-Zoom product and away from that of Tipton, cost inclusive. I ordered both my A-Zoom and Tipton products via Midway and Tipton has always been the lower cost as far as I recall.

I would purchase A-Zoom as a gift for my gunfu friends. While I'd get Tipton for my brother in law, because they look to be cool and it's low cost...and besides I know he doesn't train even as he tries to make like he does.

- Janq
    DAMN, where were you last night I ordered them late last night from Midway
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links