Western Vests

This is a discussion on Western Vests within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are mixed opinions on the whole vest idea. I was wondering what yall thought about a western style vest, in respect to ...

Thread: Western Vests

Western Vests

I know there are mixed opinions on the whole vest idea. I was wondering what yall thought about a western style vest, in respect to a tactical vest. Now I live in a real cowboy town in south Texas, so I am not too worried about sticking out. I just think that they may be too short. Im talking about a vest like this:
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

The vest shown in your picture would seem a bit too short for me. I wear western style vests. I try them on for fit to make sure they will do the cover job. The vests I wear will cover a 4" revolver worn OWB. An autoloader carried IWB is very well covered by the vest and access is quick and easy. I like vests in cool weather. I don't buy the tactical looking photographer's vests however.

VIP Member
    Generally a western vest is on the short side and can be dificult for concealment... but it's all in what "western" means to you!

There are a lot of vest available that are not tactical looking from such places as Orvis, Duluth Trading Company and even Cabella's as long as your looking for a cover garment and not something with a hidden gun pocket. I prefer to have my weapon on my belt and have several vest that cover it well, both IWB and OWB.

Check out those retailers and see if you don't find something you like!

By the way... welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I wear a vest every day (and a cowboy hat and boots). What others have said is true, many western-style vests run pretty short, so try first and make sure they will cover what you need. The Wah-Maker ones seem to be the shortest. If I am getting a leather vest, I just order it in a tall length/size, which adds 2" to the length and that works out perfect.
    In winter, it's Filson vests which are also cut longer than most western vests.
    As I said, the vests do match all my other cowboy clothes -- nobody has ever, ever called me "tactical." Old and dusty, maybe, but not tactical!

You may be interested in one of these.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have a whole stable full of leather (western) vests which I've bought too large to gain the length needed.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too would like to find sutiable vests to wear. I like them because you can leave them on inside without being too hot. I looked at the one link above and liked what I saw but at $179 they're a bit much. I wish the'd make one without the build in hosters and pockets, get the cost under $100 and just make it long enough to cover typical IWB carry.

That's the problem with nice western leather rigs too, they're expensive!

Vests seem like a good option but I haven't found something that doesn't look like a fly fishing vest that I can wear with jeans that's reasonably priced....

I wish the'd make one without the build in hosters and pockets, get the cost under $100 and just make it long enough to cover typical IWB carry.
    Try shopping at a gun show - I picked up a fantastic full leather vest for $70 made with nice hide. It also has a CC pocket inside with a brass snap. What is really a bummer, it's too small for me. Duh! I should have bought the next size up!

I've never paid more than $70 for one - just keep your eyes open.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Links