Any one have a GHB ( Get Home Bag )

This is a discussion on Any one have a GHB ( Get Home Bag ) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many people have BOB's, in case of an emergency. Some of us are single. But many of us have kids and a husband or wife ...

Thread: Any one have a GHB ( Get Home Bag )

Any one have a GHB ( Get Home Bag )

Many people have BOB's, in case of an emergency. Some of us are single. But many of us have kids and a husband or wife at home. So do any of you have a bag of stuff to get you home??
    Most of us in the Nortern states carry a winter survival kit. Blanket, candels, clothes, shovel, food and some sort of pot to melt snow for water. Just to name a few basic items.
    But I have just recently thought about getting home to my family in an emergency. You know roads closed traffic jams and the like. Just thought I would share. In case any body else may need to set up a GHB.

STAY SAFE
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Short answer is yes. It is more a get-home-trunk with the winter supplies you have listed and some basic camping gear.

What worries me more is when i am away from my car traveling. Flying especially seems to limit what you can have with you. I frequently fly places and arrive without the ability to respond to situations. Any ideas around this?

Try a wooden cane with a metel band around the bottom. Then look up cane defense online. More jabbing than swinging and fake a small limp when in the airport. May work???
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i often to thought into my 'bag' either bug out, get home, whatever. So the answer is yes. my wife gets short with me b/c I carry this 'stuff' in my truck...and it sometimes impedes her shopping or putting her 'stuff' in the truck...oh well it is two bags/packs one for a car emergency and one for other emergencies...this bag is a work in progress...recently bought a water bottle/filter system that allows me to use virtually any water to drink.
    good luck in your list of items and search.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    Not sure what all I would put in a get home bag, even if I lived up north again. One thing not to be overlooked is CASH. The green stuff. I can see a time when because of a power outage or internet attack the plastic cards won't cut it. You need enough cash to be able to take that 200 dollar cab ride (maybe more depending on where you live and what is going down) or make it worth someone's trouble to get you home.

Sure do. I update it between winter and summer seasons..

In each of our two cars:
    Rifle and ammunition, pistol and ammunition, large knife, folding "Swiss Army" knife, carry harness (combat vest), folding shovel, first-aid kit, canteen and cup, collapsable water carrier, "space" blanket with one OD side, candle lantern and candles, spare gun parts and cleaning kit.
    All fits inside large WW2 tanker's tool-bag, for "bug out." (Rifle comes apart, fits inside 25"-long bag.)
    For clothing appropriate to weather, I depend upon what I'm already wearing.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

BHBs here. I just learned that I need to add sunglasses and some rugged pants.

Also, I am giving up on the full-size Ruger and Beretta for bugging home. The Pt-111 9 mm with 20 rounds is all I am going to use to get home.

Yes, have a Blackhawk bag. Carries water, some supplies, and is pretty comfortable.

I learned a hard lesson one stormy day in the mountains 25 years ago. I've not made a trip like that without basic survival equipment and supplies since.

HKR
    My worst case is generally going to be a 20 mile hike home, as I rarely stray farther than that. I keep a bag in my vehicle and swap it over to my wife's if we take it somewhere. It has flashlights, fire starters, extra mags, water, food, first aid, etc.

At work I keep enough extra food/water in case I am forced to spend a few days there without being able to leave, or in case I need to throw some extra in a bag for the hike home.

Its laughable the amount of people I work with that believe that the roads will always be open and they will always simply be able to drive home, picking up what they will need at the store on the way.

Good idea for a thread, NDN-MAN.

Links