Bedside Lockbox

This is a discussion on Bedside Lockbox within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope this is the right place for this. I have been shopping around for a small bedside lockbox. I've seen many differant kinds and am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedside Lockbox

Bedside Lockbox

Hope this is the right place for this. I have been shopping around for a small bedside lockbox. I've seen many differant kinds and am having a hard time choosing. There are ones with combos, and keypads, and one that looked like it went off of fingerprints. My wife and I don't have kids, but her 3 yr cousin has started to like to stay the night and hang out. Do any of you have something like this in your house? How has it worked out? Do you feel it slows you down to much? Thanks for the help!!!
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

Not too much, but certainly not as quick as keeping one under the pillow/on the nightstand/sleeping in a smartcarry or whatever, but I feel the 2 seconds is a good trade for the security with kids around. I have a single gunvault I bought for around $100. WELL WORTH it for the peace of mind.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ron
    I have a "Gun Vault" nightstand gun safe that I recently posted about their very good customer service.

What I do is put the safe on my nightstand when we go to bed and open it so that I will have immediate access to my gun and tactical light, if necessary.

Since we, too, have our grandkids sleep over, at times, the first thing I do upon awakening is to lock the safe and put it back on top of my dresser.

I suppose there is a slight risk of one of my grandkids coming into our bedroom in the middle of the night and taking the gun, but that is so unlikely that I don't consider it a realistic risk.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've got a Smith & Wesson by Versa Vault. Electronic combination that can be changed or keyed entry. They go around $125. Had it for 2 years and so far it's very good. I don't care for finger print recognition, it's not reliable in my opinion. If it fails, it'll fail when you most need it. BTW, the Versa Vault locks on to a mounting plate, that's how you fix it to something stable. You can order extra mounting plates so you can put the safe, fixed & bolted, in your vehicle, another location in the house, etc.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    I have a "stack-on" safe with an electronic key pad. I can get into it in about a second and a half.... 6 digit combination. The combination is programable and changeable as often as you like. It also has a key in case you forget the code, or the battery runs out. It can mount to a wall or shelf. I paid $98.00 and have been very happy with it
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a single GunVault under my bed, and a Multi-Vault (the large one) in a close-by drawer. I've had them for several years and they have always worked.

Regards,
    Michael

I have one

I picked up a winchester e vault mid sized picked it up at bass pro for 70 bucks I think AC power option with battery back up on a 4 digit hand styled keypad , also has a manual key over ride. Mounted inside the night stand. Does it slow me down a little, is it worth it to make sure my 3 year old is safe while I am asleep? most deffinently.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Not too much, but certainly not as quick as keeping one under the pillow/on the nightstand/sleeping in a smartcarry or whatever, but I feel the 2 seconds is a good trade for the security with kids around. I have a single gunvault I bought for around $100. WELL WORTH it for the peace of mind.
    I don't have kids in my house and when I did, I kept all my guns locked up except for the gun either on my hip at the moment or the one I put under my pillow when I went to sleep (usually a transfer from being on my hip). If you do have or expect to have anybody under the age of 21 in your home, especially if they are unsupervised, the above post by Cupcake is 100% spot-on correct.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    We also have the Gun Vault, key or touchpad type. We picked it up in December, when we got the first gun for the home. Very easy to open quickly yet secure at the same time. The one we picked was the larger of the two available, two shelves and big enough for two guns on each shelf.
    I only have one complaint about it. It's full already and I'll have to get another one soon.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I recently upgraded to this one from Ft. Knox. It is rock solid and bolts to the floor. Much more solid than the one with a touch pad that I was previously using.
    Well worth the extra dollars.

Fort Knox: Americas Best Made Gun Safes, Hand Gun Safes, Fireproof Home Safes, and Vault Doors About US Hand Gun Boxes
    Sig 229 Elite .40 S&W
    HK P2000 sk

I have a "Securevault" I got at Academy. I wish I'd gone the Gun Vault route as I think it is a better safe. Mine is notbad, has a 4 digit keypad, but requires 5 digits, and a access key, with an 9 Volt over ride in case the batteries die (but I'd also have to loose the 2 keys).

On a fun note my key also opens telco smart jacks and many vending machines (no more lost quarters for me at CiCi's pizza ).

But for the most part I am armed when I am vertical, so no kids hands getting on my gun.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Go to Walmart and in the safe section they have Honeywell lockboxes with the punchpad for $25. I have had one for several years and they are great. There is foam inside and they have a key backup in case of a dead battery. It even has a flashing light for when the battery is getting low. Definately the best bang for the buck.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

If you are just wanting to make sure kids can't access your weapon, than about any lockbox will do; Sam's Club, Walmart, etc. If you want more security, look at more of a mini-safe that bolts to the floor or a heavy piece of furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    +1

Have had it for 4 years now... great knowing that at night at least two pistols (with an extra mag each) are a few finger clicks aways from mine or my wifes hands, but at the same time very unreachable from my kids hands -- Decent sized stack-on (for now) lagged into the wall and floor elsewhere in the house for the other "tools".

Operates great, battery change about once every 1 1/2 years +/-

This is the one I have, and it works great. I can key in and have my pistol in my hand in 2 seconds. I've timed it.

Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links