The XD .45 ACP

The XD .45 ACP

This is a discussion on The XD .45 ACP within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a chance to shoot the brand spanking new XD .45. This gun was bought by a friend of mine. Our favoirte dealer went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The XD .45 ACP

Senior Moderator

The XD .45 ACP

I got a chance to shoot the brand spanking new XD .45.

This gun was bought by a friend of mine. Our favoirte dealer went to the SHOT show and somehow came up with one. We each put a little over 200 rounds though it and as expected there was not a single malfunction.

As my friend ins an XD fanatic,we had a total of 5 other XD's to compare it to. There was a 5" Tactical .40,a 4" 9mm,a 3"subcompact in 9mm, a 4"..40 S&W and a .45 GAP in a 4" barrel.

Comparing the ACP to the 4 inchers it was noted that the grip is about an 1/8" wider and most obvious was the length of the grip. In actuality, these larger dimensions posed no problems for either of us, in fact I thought that the fit was a bit better in my large hands. I already loved the grip on the XD's, and it was hard to imagine that it could be any better, but the ACP was about as perfect as one could get...in my hands anyway.

The recoil was about what one would expect from the .45, noticable, but not at all uncomfortable or uncontrollable and quick double taps were no problem. As for the accuracy, it hit where ever I put the sights. I had no problem keeping several magazine fulls in the 8 ring or better on a B27 silhouette at 50 yards. I'm reasonably sure that if I had bench rested the gun at 50 yards that all shots would have been in the 9 ring or better as the pistol certainly seems capable of doing it.

Several others shot the gun and all had similar results. Comments about the grip design and the apparent accuracy were common.

It looks like Springfield has another winner with this one. As a personal observation after shooting both the ACP and the GAP, I'd be willing to bet that the GAP sales fall considerably as there really isnt that much of a difference in the grip sizes. Although I dont currently own an XD, I think that the XD in .45 ACP may be the next gun.

What the heck...I already own 5 .45's ...but another one certainly cant hurt...

Assistant Administrator
    What the heck...I already own 5 .45's ...but another one certainly cant hurt...
    Yep - what's one more?! LOL.

Sounds better and better, the more i hear about it - thx for the info. I know one thing for sure - that capacity in a .45acp is just awesome.

I personally do feel the GAP will not make it big time - felt that for a while but as you mention - this gun's release will now IMO hasten the GAP demize.

Increases my GAP thought - ''what is the point'', despite the theory!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Never bad to get a new gun. Unless its your rent check your using. I guess we'll see one day if the GAP lives up to its reputation. I just remember folks saying the same thing about the 40 and 357Sig.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    I just remember folks saying the same thing about the 40 and 357Sig.
    Somehow fed - I see a difference. The 357 SIG has great potential - it is after all a super hot 9mm really - and so very useful.

The .40 - well that was the downgraded 10mm which as we mostly know was a superb round - reminds me of Betamax vs VHS!! VHS won but actually Betmax was way out there for quality.

The GAP strikes me as only really being made to allow for smaller gun - slightly smaller only! The .45acp camp has such a following - for the tried, proven and well accepted round - the GAP just seems superfluous - well, to me anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Somehow fed - I see a difference. The 357 SIG has great potential - it is after all a super hot 9mm really - and so very useful.

The .40 - well that was the downgraded 10mm which as we mostly know was a superb round - reminds me of Betamax vs VHS!! VHS won but actually Betmax was way out there for quality.

The GAP strikes me as only really being made to allow for smaller gun - slightly smaller only! The .45acp camp has such a following - for the tried, proven and well accepted round - the GAP just seems superfluous - well, to me anyways!

I agree

OD*
    HotGuns,

Did the high bore axis bother you at all?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I agree
    Me too. Never saw a need for the GAP round.

Senior Moderator
    Did the high bore axis bother you at all?
    Not at all.

It didnt seem to bother the targets either...

OD*
    That's good to know, thanks.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

the xd 45 acp sounds like a real winner i always read about high bore axis this and that ..

But ya know i've never noticed it one any gun but be one of those things some people notice and others don't?

Lead Moderator
    do you have any other gins to side by side compare your XD .45? from the pictures, the grip looks long, but hard to tell from a photo. I wonder how they stuffed so many rnds in the .45 version?

I grab 45acp casings for reloading whenever i can at the indoor range. Mostly out of curiosity, I also look for 45 GAP....Out of the couple thousand I've picked up, maybe 25 have been 45GAP...you just don't see it very often

High bore axis compared to what? A Glock? A 1911? A PPK?

The XD45ACP has imho a normal bore axis as do most guns.

If you compare everything to a gun with a low bore axis, then almost every modern pistol has a high bore axis.

I can tell you this much: I've stuffed 13 rounds into that mag several times now and I still can't believe it. I didn't buy it for the capacity, but it confounds me how this pistol stuffs 14 round of .45 ACP into almost the same amount of space as the XD40 stuffs 13 rounds of .40 S&W.

Then again, it is subtly bigger. I'll try to put an XD40 next to the XD45ACP sometimes.

P.S. I am annoyed I have to type XD45ACP so people know which gun I am talking about!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean

The XD45ACP has imho a normal bore axis as do most guns.

If you compare everything to a gun with a low bore axis, then almost every modern pistol has a high bore axis....
    Euc,

I concur. I find the whole "high bore axis" thing interesting. The only gun I know of that I'd consider to have a "low" bore axis is a Glock, while Sigs, 1911's, XD's, H&K, etc. have similar bore heights that are a bit higher than a Glock. But there is some doubt as to how significant bore height really is. The guns that purportedly have high bore heights are often described as having lighter recoil. To wit, the H&K .45 has often been mentioned as having low recoil.

Anyway, I concur with what you said.

OD*
    Pretty much, course Sigs are high too, compare to those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links