Tactical Knives and Batons any one?

This is a discussion on Tactical Knives and Batons any one? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always had a special place in my heart for a real awesome knife. However I'm aware of how brutal a all out a knife fight ...

Always had a special place in my heart for a real awesome knife. However I'm aware of how brutal a all out a knife fight really is. It doesn't just end quickly in most cases and your opponent even if properly cut has on average a whole 7 minutes more of fighting to give you before he drops. thats why i've always been a fan of telescoping batons. Besides the fact that they require less skill to use they can also end a fight far more quickly. Thats not to say a properly trained person with a knife couldnt do the same but i just prefer batons. Do any of you conceal carry a knife with you on the daily or a baton?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Nah, hiding a gun is hard enough.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator

"your opponent even if properly cut has on average a whole 7 minutes more of fighting to give you before he drops."

Not necessarily true.
    Much depends on your definition of "properly cut"

Expandable batons are not legal for civilian carry in some states. Members should check their respective state prohibited weapons statutes.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I often walk with a cane. I'm making my own to appropriate scale (no more girly softwood drugstore jokes for me): 1 1/8" hickory, with a brass sphere on top.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Administrator
    A good, solid, cane or walking stick coupled with a good arm can really reach out and touch someone.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I always have one or two knives on me as a backup to my CCW.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Expandable batons are not legal for civilian carry in some states. Members should check their respective state prohibited weapons statutes.
    MI would be one where they are not allowed. POPO only.
    I can carry a .357Mag but not an asp baton, go figure.

fm2
    Sure, doesn't everbody?

Kipling, when you say knife fight, do you mean knife vs. knife or knife vs. unarmed?

If you mean knife vs. knife, it's highly unlikely that you'll ever come across a dual type scenario in your lifetime. One person is usually always more or less armed in some way than the other person. The majority of knife fights last no more than 30 seconds. They are extremely quick and brutal.

I carry two knives on my person at all times. Even though I carry knives, I too, like you would much prefer using a baton. Unfortunately, they're illegal to have and carry where I live, but if they weren't, that's what I'd carry.

The reason I'd choose a baton over a knife is simply because I could create more distance and minimizing the risk of acquiring a blood-related disease from the perpetrator. I honestly don't think I'd be able to take out a BG any quicker with a baton vs. a knife. If anything, it would be quicker with the knife.

Whatever you do, never underestimate the power of a knife. In the right hands, I would argue that in CCQ, a knife is a superior weapon to a gun. Of course, there are circumstances where a gun would be superior, but in general I'm saying.

Another thing to keep in mind is that action always beats reaction. If someone has a gun to my back trying to rob me, they obviously didn't want me dead right off the bat. If they did, I'd already be dead.

Since I'm not dead, I could most likely draw my blade and eliminate the threat before his brain got a chance to react to my action. Trust me, the bad guy isn't thinking that the guy he's trying to rob is going to pull a move on him. Plus, he's probably not really prepared to shoot if something like that were to happen.

One example scenario:

BG: give me all your money! (points gun to back)
    me: Ok, ok--please don't hurt me.
    BG: empty your pockets now!
    me: draws blade while rotating in way that pushes the gun out of the line of fire and I slit the BG's throat with multiple, quick ensuing stabs OR I quickly disable the gun wielding hand with then knife and stab/slash throat. If you know the 8 angles of slashes and 9 angles of stabbing and can keep negative motion to an absolute minimum, this would not be a problem to achieve.

A lot of knife misconceptions going around, so I thought I'd clear a few of them up.

edit:

Like mercop said, KISS. He knows what he's talking about. I probably didn't keep it simple enough in my post.

As knifeone stated..the myth of the dual perpetuates and sells lots of training. I believe you are far more likely to have to defend against an edged weapon open handed than ever use a knife vs a knife. If you do have to use a knife for SD it better be KISS, this is the reason that our edged weapons courses start with SAS (Spontaneous Attack Survival) for Edged Weapons based on what we teach corrections, because for them it has to work since it is usually their only option. For defensive use of the knife we then teach Inverted Edge Tactics.

The PR-24, Koga stick and ASP are near and dear to my heart. One of the things we discuss while teaching Combative Anatomy is that Central Nervous System disruption will stop a fight faster than Circulatory System disruption. A pommel strike between the eyes can stop a fight faster than a stab to the heart. Electricity is immediate, plumbing takes time.- George

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Always had a special place in my heart for a real awesome knife. However I'm aware of how brutal a all out a knife fight really is. It doesn't just end quickly in most cases and your opponent even if properly cut has on average a whole 7 minutes more of fighting to give you before he drops. thats why i've always been a fan of telescoping batons. Besides the fact that they require less skill to usethey can also end a fight far more quickly. Thats not to say a properly trained person with a knife couldnt do the same but i just prefer batons. Do any of you conceal carry a knife with you on the daily or a baton?
    That is a dangerous statement to say the least!

I'll share one statement that stands out in my mind from one instructor from years ago , "without proper training, you're going to look damn stupid with that PR24 sticking out of you're ass!"

Batons of any type are great for joint strikes and controlling aggressive adversaries, if properly utilized and well trained. With one head strike, you might as well use a gun. With that head strike you just assaulted someone with a deadly weapon, with intent to kill.

Knife fights are very static and quick, even more so than a gunfight (IMHO). A "solid" hit with a knife can be mentally more devastating than a GS wound, a wide open wound with a lot of blood flowing. Shock overcomes adrenaline. A deep long cut on a forearm at largo range, or a good cut above the eye draining blood, will shut many people down (shock). Bullet wounds that don't hit the CNS aren't initially as devastating as a good cut. Blood, blood, blood.

Weird rant on my part, but WTH.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Links