First EDC light...NiteCore D10 or EX10

This is a discussion on First EDC light...NiteCore D10 or EX10 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so after an experience has shown me I need a flashlight on me, I'm going to pull the trigger on a "real" flashlight. After ...

Thread: First EDC light...NiteCore D10 or EX10

Okay, so after an experience has shown me I need a flashlight on me, I'm going to pull the trigger on a "real" flashlight.

After a ton of searching, I have landed on either NiteCore D10 or EX10. I like these for their size, output, and I can buy a clip to attach so it doesn't roll around in my pockets.

I'm probably going to purchase one tomorrow, and I'm leaning really hard to the EX10. Any of you guys out there have opinions on either of these? Or perhaps any other advice before I drop around $60 on a flashlight?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I used to have an EX10. It was a great little light; I wound up selling it to a buddy of mine that was dumbfounded at how bright it was. If I could make one recommendation for you it would be to get the pocket clip with the light! I can't tell you how often I wished I could just clip the darn thing onto something. The EX10 is really, REALLY small, and I found it difficult to use as a fist load/tactical light. In that aspect, I would lean toward the D10 since it is a bit longer (plus you can run it on alkaline AAs in a pinch, but you'll get best performance from eneloop rechargables or L91 lithium cells).

Either way, they're great lights. If you order from Nitecoreusa.com don't forget the coupon code "CPF8"!

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I used to have an EX10. It was a great little light; I wound up selling it to a buddy of mine that was dumbfounded at how bright it was. If I could make one recommendation for you it would be to get the pocket clip with the light! I can't tell you how often I wished I could just clip the darn thing onto something. The EX10 is really, REALLY small, and I found it difficult to use as a fist load/tactical light. In that aspect, I would lean toward the D10 since it is a bit longer (plus you can run it on alkaline AAs in a pinch, but you'll get best performance from eneloop rechargables or L91 lithium cells).

Either way, they're great lights. If you order from Nitecoreusa.com don't forget the coupon code "CPF8"!
    Boy do I have some good questions for you, but I'll keep them to a minimum! I don't know much about flashlights or batteries, and after hanging around CPF for the day, I'm thouroughly confused. If I run the EX10 with.........okay, something big and black just rand by the wall in my kitchen....anyway, if I run the EX10 with CR123A batteries, how would it compare to a D10 with some energizer L91? I've heard about those 14500 batteries, but that sounds like more than I want to get involved right now.....****, there it goes again, must be a freakin big roach.

Basically, without getting into really complicated batteries and such, which gets better output/runtime.

P.S. I'm going to purchase the clip with either one I choose.

Wow, anyway....thanks
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I bought the NiteCore D10 and mine stopped working after 2 weeks. It had a mind of its own, I would turn it on and it would be sitting on my night stand and turn on 3 hours later. I ended up sending it back and getting the Fenix LD10.

nobody else has any experience with these?
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm going to suggest that you "think again" before buying the either nitecord. I recently purchased 2 new EDC lights, the Nitecore Extreme and a Surefire E1B. I have a number of lights from Fenix and several more from Surefire. I really liked the looks of the Nitecore extreme. It's size, feel, brightness, etc. were all outstanding. However I accidentially dropped it while putting it in my pocket onto a soft linoleum bathroom floor. When I picked it up the clicky tail switch didn't work.

Now that's only one little event and it might never happen again but I was quite surprised. They do ship that light with 2 extra tail cap switches. I thought that was odd but now wonder if they realize their switches just aren't the most robust.

For a dedicated EDC light, you need something that is reliable in the "extreme", (pun intended )

So based on this, if you're going to get your first/maybe only EDC light, I personally would recommend surefire even if it's a bit more costly.

Now having said that I Love my E1B except for the clip. I feel the clip is very poorly designed but it's "okay" for clipping in jean pockets if you want to do that with a $100 flashlight. I personally always carry my EDC light deep in my pocket or in a case on my belt.

I still like the Nitecore and my Fenix lights for GP (general purpose) but I'm sticking with Surefire for my dedicated EDC.

Just a thought.

PS I've mounted one of my Surefire's on my AR-15 and done a lot of shooting and it's held up great.

I have had the D10 for 4 months. Great light. I bought it because I have a few - 20 eneloop AA rechargeables.

The EX10 is basically the same light with CR123 batts. Now, you will need to buy some CRC123 rechargeables or a good number in (bulk)
    20 or more. Trust me, even Wal-Mart will rape you on two CR123's - $9.80(? ). Battery Station - CR123 USA made 50 - $62. big difference. Smaller quantities are still cheaper on line.

The CR123 will last longer in the light. Down side expensive and not readily available as AA's You will still be impressed by either one.

I know this, because I just received my First-Light Tomahawk GP and it takes CR123 batts.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm going to suggest that you "think again" before buying the either nitecord. I recently purchased 2 new EDC lights, the Nitecore Extreme and a Surefire E1B. I have a number of lights from Fenix and several more from Surefire. I really liked the looks of the Nitecore extreme. It's size, feel, brightness, etc. were all outstanding. However I accidentially dropped it while putting it in my pocket onto a soft linoleum bathroom floor. When I picked it up the clicky tail switch didn't work.

Now that's only one little event and it might never happen again but I was quite surprised. They do ship that light with 2 extra tail cap switches. I thought that was odd but now wonder if they realize their switches just aren't the most robust.

For a dedicated EDC light, you need something that is reliable in the "extreme", (pun intended )

So based on this, if you're going to get your first/maybe only EDC light, I personally would recommend surefire even if it's a bit more costly.

Now having said that I Love my E1B except for the clip. I feel the clip is very poorly designed but it's "okay" for clipping in jean pockets if you want to do that with a $100 flashlight. I personally always carry my EDC light deep in my pocket or in a case on my belt.

I still like the Nitecore and my Fenix lights for GP (general purpose) but I'm sticking with Surefire for my dedicated EDC.

Just a thought.

PS I've mounted one of my Surefire's on my AR-15 and done a lot of shooting and it's held up great.
    The EX10, D10, and D20 use McGizmo's piston drive system under license. There is no switch to break, the light operates with a spring loaded contact ring. Early production models of the D10 and EX10 occasionally developed a condition where the contact ring would shift off-center and get stuck, leading to a light with a mind of its own as pjw315 alluded to. I found that if you kept the ring lightly lubricated there was no issue, even with rough handling, drops, and the like. Bear in mind that the EX10, D10, and D20 are marketed toward the enthusiast, and just like any other specialized product (such as a high performance car, firearm, or gaming computer) it is expected that the owner enjoys maintenance and "tweaking" with the product. A product like the Surefire E1B is not marketed to this audience (although it may be just as popular among them). The major difference is that the Surefire, like a pickup truck, is designed to do a job, do it well, and do it all the time. It's also priced to match, since you can buy two EX10s or D10s for less than the price of the E1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post

Thanks... for the code, you just saved me some money on a PD10.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Good info Chooie, thanks!!

Links