EDC Flashlight / Kubaton for the Mrs.

This is a discussion on EDC Flashlight / Kubaton for the Mrs. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased and received my SureFire L2 which seems to be the perfect size for a kubaton... but because of the cost of batteries ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC Flashlight / Kubaton for the Mrs.

EDC Flashlight / Kubaton for the Mrs.

I just purchased and received my SureFire L2 which seems to be the perfect size for a kubaton... but because of the cost of batteries I don't think I'm gonna use this as my EDC... It will more than likely end up being my night stand flashlight. I think the one I'm gonna pick up for an EDC is the Fenix LD20.

I'm wanting to get one for the Mrs. too as an EDC flashlight / Kubaton but I'm curious if some of the ladies find it a tad too long for smaller hands. Are there other flashlights out there close to the same specs that the ladies might find a more appropriate length or does the 6 inch LD20 seem about right? At 4 inches I think the LD10 would be a little to small. 5 inches would probably be perfect but 6 might have to do.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

why not let her try it and decide for herself.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I would love for her to try 'em for herself... know of any retail places that sell Fenix lights?

if you are concerned about battery costs for your surefire, which I assume takes CR123 batteries, check this thread out...http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...best-deal.html
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I really don't think the Surefire batteries are that bad, if you can some how convince yourself to stay with surefire, Get her an E1B. Great light I've carried it for probably a year now and its an amazing light. 80 lumens on the first hit and the low level of 5 when you just need a little light. Before I had a L1 and like that light too, but I liked the clip and the higher output of the E1B. Good luck with your decision, and I wouldn't count surefire out yet. They're a great company.

I have a X300 for my USP tac as well.

Oh I'm loving the Surefire. Very quality piece... you can tell. Perfect amount of heft without weighing the pockets down too much. I got a decent little deal on a dozen 123A's on EBAY. The brightness is plenty bright so I'm not worried about the 80 less lumens compared to the LD20. I do like the fact that the LD20 can run at 71 hours on the lowest setting compared to just 18 hours on the Surefire... and that is 71 hours with 2 AA batteries. I'm gonna wait 'till she gets back from the midwest and have her see what she thinks about the feel of the SureFire since it is almost exactly the same length and weight as the LD20. If the length and weight suit her... I may get her the LD20 and see what she thinks (which will give me a chance to play around with it also). =) If I'm not using the SureFire enough in every day use to be swapping out the batteries once a month then I probably won't worry about it. If I find myself swapping out batteries a couple of times a month I may get an LD20 also as an EDC.

So far though (other than battery length and cost) I'm really loving my first SureFire!

I'm guessing you're talking about the L2 for the runtime? The E1B is 37 hrs, which I know isn't 71, but what is the lumen output for it to run 71 and how often are you going to use it?

The output for 71 hours is 9 lumen for the LD20 vs. the L2's 18 hours at 15 lumen. The 180 lumen on the LD20 will take you 2 hours vs. just one hour for the 100 lumen on the L2.

Alright. Sorry I was slightly confused.

No probs. ONLY downside (if you wanna call it that) with the SureFire L2 is the battery type and battery life. As long as I can continue to get affordable batteries I'm not going to worry about it. I'll play around with the wife's LD20 once it gets in and if it is that nice... I may get a second. Can't hurt to have more than one flashlight.

Definitely not. Haha I'm partial to surefire and can get a decent deal, so I'm looking at a few other options to keep around my house.

Just my two cents. I have a Surefire and a Fenix PD30. Both have their purpose but the Fenix is very versatile. However I find the Fenix model somewhat slippery. The LD20 looks like it might be a little better to grip than the PD30 as I was considering getting one.
    I just bought a G19 tonight so the flashlight will have to wait.
    With all that said the Surefire is rock solid.

The first stage of the L2 gives you 15 lumens which should be sufficient for most lighting chores. It really saves the batteries. My choice as well due to it being so Kubaton like. Just remember to work on striking and hooking with it. Pressure points and joint locks using it for SD are BS- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    The first stage of the L2 gives you 15 lumens which should be sufficient for most lighting chores. It really saves the batteries. My choice as well due to it being so Kubaton like. Just remember to work on striking and hooking with it. Pressure points and joint locks using it for SD are BS- George
    Thanks for the advice. Was looking for Kubaton classes in the area and can't find any so she and I will probably work through several of the kubaton videos online. Was ecstatic when she finally told me last night that she was thinking about taking some SD classes. She still kinda snickers at the thought of being armed... but she seems to be slowly coming around. I'm not gonna rush her. I told her it would make me feel a lot more comfortable if she was A) armed and/or B) at least had some self defense courses up her sleeve especially with her traveling to cities alone that she has never been to. The snickering seems to be coming less as a response and I'm getting more questions and perceived interest so that is a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Just my two cents. I have a Surefire and a Fenix PD30. Both have their purpose but the Fenix is very versatile. However I find the Fenix model somewhat slippery. The LD20 looks like it might be a little better to grip than the PD30 as I was considering getting one.
    I just bought a G19 tonight so the flashlight will have to wait.
    With all that said the Surefire is rock solid.
    Congrats on the G19! =)

Yeah the Fenix lights don't look like they would quite have the grip of a SureFire... but the LD20 looks like it might be alright with the texture where your pinky and ring finger would be. If they just would have textured the portion underneath the tail-cap it looks like it would then have a pretty nice grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links