Doggy-time defense

This is a discussion on Doggy-time defense within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for something to bring with me when I take the doggy out at night (2-4 a.m.). We don't go on a walk, just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggy-time defense

Doggy-time defense

I'm looking for something to bring with me when I take the doggy out at night (2-4 a.m.). We don't go on a walk, just down the stairs to the grass in front of the apartment so she can do her business. I was considering a blackjack (legal in MO with a CCW) as it would be concealable, and could be used not only against human trouble makers, but trouble dogs as well. We have a few big dogs in the area (ours is a 7 pounder) and many owners walk with their dogs off-leash . What are your thoughts? Go with a blackjack, or someother form of defense? I usually grab the pepper-spray when I go out, but I am looking for something with a little more...oomph!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Not a blackjack you have to be to close, I would suggest a walking stick.

The pepper spray should be fine and all you need against a dog.

What about a gun?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have one of these from Cold Steel. It's a good walking stick, and should do quite well to discourage a miscreant canine, or an angry possum, or an upset armadillo. And, as pgrass101 said, what about a gun? I always carry when I go walking.
    Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick : Cold Steel
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I walk
    <---- this guy off the leash.

But he behaves and listens better to me than a lot of peoples dogs do even on a leash.

Problem with pepper spray is that your dog is going to end up getting a dose of it too. And if there was a true dog fight, good luck hitting the correct dog with a gun.

Do you take your dog to the dog park so that he/she can learn to be socialized with other dogs? My fiance's little corgy was pretty timid but she's gotten better after going to the dog park regulary.

Just because your dog is 7lbs doesn't mean that every big dog out there wants to eat it. Did you post a picture on the thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ur-family.html ? Can't hardly talk about dogs and not share a pictue!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Well, in my borough all dogs must be on a leash.
    There is $200 fine if they are not.
    I always walk mine on a leash.
    Any dog that comes running over that I am not sure about gets OC Sprayed before it reaches my dog.

It's non-lethal and I will spray first and ask questions later.

I have already had one friendly and harmless leashed dog of mine viciously attacked.
    That will never happen again.
    I did not carry OC back then but, I was able to boot the rogue dog hard in the ribcage and break ribs.
    That ended that attack fairly quickly but, my dog still sustained injuries.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QKshooter, all dogs are to be leashed here as well; but, many do not follow the law.

tinkernWstuff: I realize all bigs dogs are not out to get my little dog, in fact I worry about the smaller dogs more, as people do not treat them as though they could be dangerous because they are small and "look cute". But bet your bibby if that pomeranian comes after my dog, she is getting a swift kick. With that said, the big dogs still have the propensity to cause more damage and death than a smaller dog. Also, in regards to my dog catching some OC overspray, I'm not worried so much about that as long as it deters her/my attacker.

I knew someone would question why I don't bring my pistol. Mainly, my pajama pants cannot hold the weight of the gun, and while an effective deterrent, it tends to attract the attention of law enforcement! I won't change pants in the middle of the night, so I am looking for something that is lightweight, small enough to conceal, and is an effective weapon in place of the firearm.

I do have a walking stick that I take with me on long walks (as well at OC and my pistol); however, as I stated before, at that time of night I do not go on a walk, just out to the front of the apartment ( <30 ft from front door). Although, I must admit rodc13's Cold Steel walking stick is pretty sweet, and that looks like it would definately mess up someones day!

Throw a Smartcarry on under the jammy-pants?

I hate leash laws. I think that owners should take responsibility for their animals and be dealt with accordingly if the animal does not respond to voice command. Personal responsibility. But to be required by law to put a leash on my dog even though he listens better than the guy's dog across the street who drags the owner around by the leash - really torques me off! We have leash laws here too and I'll pay the fine but the issuer of the fine is going to pay for it too when they have to listen to my rant.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, in my borough all dogs must be on a leash.
    There is $200 fine if they are not.
    I always walk mine on a leash.
    Any dog that comes running over that I am not sure about gets OC Sprayed before it reaches my dog.

It's non-lethal and I will spray first and ask questions later.

I have already had one friendly and harmless leashed dog of mine viciously attacked.
    That will never happen again.
    I did not carry OC back then but, I was able to boot the rogue dog hard in the ribcage and break ribs.
    That ended that attack fairly quickly but, my dog still sustained injuries.
    I carry OC with me every time I walk my dog. I started doing this after reading one of QKShooter's earlier posts.
    God bless our troops!

I live in the safest neighborhood ever so I generally just take out my Surefire.
    My dog goes out to whiz at 10 pm and then not again til 6am so it's not so bad.

good luck, offleash dogs are nothing but trouble, based on my experience and imo

I have a gun in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    I live in the safest neighborhood ever so I generally just take out my Surefire.
    My dog goes out to whiz at 10 pm and then not again til 6am so it's not so bad.

good luck, offleash dogs are nothing but trouble, based on my experience and imo
    That is usually what every victim of a violent crime said,I thought this was such a safe area,nothing ever happens here,It's not only about walking your dog,the fact you are outside where It's dark and somebody can jump you in a second,I carry everywhere,and if your jammys don't support a gun throw on a lightweight jacket or house coat with a gun in the pocket
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have a gun in my pocket.
    If I have pants on...I have a gun with me.

Stay armed...wear pants when outside...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife and I were walking our dog in a state park in MA when we were attacked by 2 pit bulls who were being walked off leash. Luckily I spotted them as they were charging at us but were still quite a ways away. My super aggressive greyhound ran behind us. As they approached, one of them followed the other in. I kicked the crap out of the lead dog (steel toed boots) and the other ran away.

It really pisses me off that people think that they can walk their dogs off leash because their dog is friendly or that they have voice control of it. If you have a leash law then you need to obey it. Your dog may be friendly but mine may not be! And as far as saying you have voice control over your dog goes, why should I believe you? I'm out walking my dog and want to enjoy that time, not spend my time worrying about what that loose dog is going to do.

My wife and I currently have 2 Greyhounds and an Australian Cattle Dog. None of my dogs are aggressive but when they go outside they are always leashed.

To the OP: Get a SmartCarry for your gun and put it on under your jammies when you go out.
    Last edited by GreyGhost; March 9th, 2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    I knew someone would question why I don't bring my pistol. Mainly, my pajama pants cannot hold the weight of the gun, and while an effective deterrent, it tends to attract the attention of law enforcement! I won't change pants in the middle of the night, so I am looking for something that is lightweight, small enough to conceal, and is an effective weapon in place of the firearm.
    How about one of the Versipacks or similar?
    FATBOY™ VERSIPACK - Versipacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)

Will hold your OC, light, whatever and your pistol and won't drag down your PJs.

It's concealed, so it should attract any attention.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    It really pisses me off that people think that they can walk their dogs off leash because their dog is friendly or that they have voice control of it. If you have a leash law then you need to obey it. Your dog may be friendly but mine may not be! And as far as saying you have voice control over your dog goes, why should I believe you? I'm out walking my dog and want to enjoy that time, not spend my time worrying about what that loose dog is going to do.
    The anti's use the same arguement about you carrying a gun.

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links