Safety glasses

This is a discussion on Safety glasses within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where to put this, so it is here. We were browsing around an eyeglass store looking for frames for my wife when I ...

Thread: Safety glasses

VIP Member

Safety glasses

Not sure where to put this, so it is here.

We were browsing around an eyeglass store looking for frames for my wife when I saw a collection of sports/safety frames.

I went over to look because I don't don't like wearing safety glasses on top of my regular glasses and I thought I'd get a set of prescription safety glasses made for when I'm shooting and for other stuff like brush clearing, painting etc.

Anyway, somewhere in the conversation my wife told the clerk," he needs them for when he goes shooting." And I added that sometimes the hot casings bounce off the wall and fall between the glasses and eyelids, and burn the eyelid.

The sales clerk just turned pale when my wife said the word "shooting." You could just see the blood drain from his face when the word "shooting" was uttered. It was as if that was a most scary thing to him.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    See what color he turns when you invite him to go with you!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Put him out of his misery and show him your holster and gun.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I wear contacts and Oakley half jackets with amber lenses. You \can get getem in pre\scpriotin if you want. I liek them.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I wear contacts and Oakley half jackets with amber lenses. You \can get getem in pre\scpriotin if you want. I liek them.
    I have a set of Oakley half jackets I got through Oakley's government sales program. They served my well during my time in Iraq. I like the fact that lenses are easily changed out to meet changing conditions. If you qualify for the program (pretty much any government employee does and I see your program says federal scientist), you get a big discount on the Oakley prices. I got the frame and two sets of lenses for under 100 bucks, which considering the quality of the product isn't bad.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    See what color he turns when you invite him to go with you!
    +1...people are so ignorant.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I like the Oakley half-jackets, but found that they wouldn't allow my ear muffs to seal very well. Oakley has some new type out that supposedly allows for that, a military looking rig, but they look a bit too "SpecOps" for me. The Wiley-X I tried fogged terribly. I experimented with several of the cheap safety glass type, including one originally marketed for shooting called Uvex Genesis, that works very well, doesn't fog, fits my face,decent optical quality, and allows the muffs to seal. They are my favorite so far, but I'm now experimenting with the Revision Sawfly that I found a heck of a deal on.
    That is, when I can get up the energy to take off my bifocals and put on the contacts.
    What Would Gumby Do?

My eye doctor does not bat at eye at the idea. First time I went there I was in my teens and had brought my paintball mask. I did not care what the glasses looked like as long as I could wear them comfortable under my mask and with little fogging. About 2 hours later I had some frames. Since then they don't bat an eye at me
    "we often were subjected to vilification, including an orchestrated set of protests we knew were phony because every nasty letter referred to “you wreckless men.” I thought “wreckless” was funny, but Dave Friedman took some of those letters to the FBI. Human nature can be inhuman." H.G. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    i too have been looking for the perfect safety glasses. Nothing fits my face properly and doesn't leave gaps.

I do a lot of woodworking and machining and have had chips fly up under my glasses...no fun.

JRI
    The problem with perscription inserts is that you have to get new ones when your perscription changes.

Anybody aware of ballistic type safety glasses that fit over a regular pair of glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by JRI View Post
    The problem with perscription inserts is that you have to get new ones when your perscription changes.

Anybody aware of ballistic type safety glasses that fit over a regular pair of glasses?

VIP Member

Shadows and poor clarity

Quote Originally Posted by JRI View Post

Yes, but I have found that safety goggles which go over regular eye glass frames usually are made of some a plastic with poor optical quality that causes distortion, and also that shadows form between the prescription lens and the goggle lens.

I haven't shopped extensively for prescription safety glasses, but I have found some frames which both offer good protection from stuff getting in through the top or the sides, and also offer some comfort and decent appearance so they could be worn for other activities without looking too weird.

However, yes, it takes megabucks to get the prescription lenses made, especially in tri-focals, and in with large corrections.

EyeArmor
    Colorless, yellow tint and gray.

Fit over regular glasses and are very comfortable and offer great protection.
    About $25 online.

bosco

Links