Shopping for a backpack - Marsgear? - Recommendations

This is a discussion on Shopping for a backpack - Marsgear? - Recommendations within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm rolling around the notion of possibly buying a couple of backpacks. One would be a 3 day sized pack. The other will be ...

Thread: Shopping for a backpack - Marsgear? - Recommendations

Shopping for a backpack - Marsgear? - Recommendations

OK, I'm rolling around the notion of possibly buying a couple of backpacks. One would be a 3 day sized pack. The other will be an EDC bag. Through my searching, I came across this website:

marsgear - online sale of military tactical gear Packs

Their 3 day pack & urban go bag look like what I'm interested in. Does anyone know the quality/reputation of Marsgear? The price seems too good to be true (as compared to Maxpedition).

Any advise/recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Never used their stuff, but as far as packs go I'm kinda a snob since a bad pack sucks to carry around, and they need to be durable as well. I'd stick with maxpedition or blackhawk or camelback
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My experience with Maxpedition and Camelback is purely positive for tactical-style packs. If a more back-country pack for trails is what you have in mind, Gregory and Osprey get my thumbs-up.
    Still Clingin'

I'm deployed with my 5.11 Tactical Rush72 and I love it. I initially came over with just 50 Lbs in it, but moving down range I found myself packing up to +75Lbs, on top of my armor! The straps are very well made and it doesn't feel like you're carrying as much as you really are. And the compression straps are great for when you don't need as much gear.

A note on quality. I don't know how much you're willing to spend or what you're planning on using it for, but you definately get what you pay for. I can promise you that if you buy this pack you'll still be humping it while the guy who spent half what you did on an inferior pack is dragging his 'cause the straps broke. (I've seen it)

Here's a link for a distributor, but you can also order it direct from 511Tactical.com

G T Distributors Product Detail
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've used marsgear for quite a bit of MOLLE gear, and so far everything I've gotten has been very well built - no poor stitching or shoddy materials. Some of their stuff is Condor (questionable for hard use), but not all of it.

For a pack, however, I would go with a known-good brand. A good pack is the central part of your entire setup, and it MUST be comfortable, well designed, and well built, or you'll regret it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

no marsgear comments, but i second the blackhawk recommendation....pretty heavy but super sturdy and versatile

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    For the 3 day size, go with Eagle. They have one of the original designs and they are about as tough as they come. USA made to boot.

Eagle Industries*::*Packs*::*Equipment Packs*::*A-III Pack (Eagle WaterPoint™ Compatible)
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Camelback is rated highly among those in the military. Time and battle tested in Iraq and Afganistan. Best Military Backpack? - Yahoo! Answers

Dana Design

Check out danadesign.com, they are the best packs I have ever seen or used. I ived out of mine for over 2 years. It is now over 15 years old and still going strong. If I remeber correctly their warranty covers everything except bear maulings and intentional destruction. Hope this helps.

Searn

Links