In the market for a safe, advice needed

This is a discussion on In the market for a safe, advice needed within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, I am in the market for a gun safe, I have been saving for a while now, resisting the urges to continue to ...

Hello Everyone,
    I am in the market for a gun safe, I have been saving for a while now, resisting the urges to continue to buy guns. I know that I want to buy the biggest safe that I can (I only want to do this once). I am looking for good protection as well as a good fire rating. I want something that would take some time to break into. I have been searching the internet, but I know that I am not the first to buy a safe and wanted to see what you all learned during your search for a safe. Why did you buy the safe that you have now? What makes one company better than another?

I found Patriot Safe Co. while searching the net, anyone heard of them?
    http://www.patriotsafe.com/

their prices seemed pretty good.

thanks for all your help, Dingle

never heard of'em.....I'm sure some have....just do plenty of research.
    A UL listing helps.
    I bought mine in Cali. It was made there, Cali state approved, un-fire lined and at a killer price. By the name of American Security

I bought a safe about this time last year. I got a Winchester safe, which is actually made by Granite Safes. I have the WL-6030.
    It is my first safe, so I cannot offer any comparisons, but overall I am happy with it.
    I got it at Sams Club for around $600 or so, and moved it from the store to my house myself (not fun.)
    Good luck. :smile":
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Assistant Administrator
    I got what I would call a standard/full size - thru a Sportsmans Guide offer couple or more years ago. Made by Safari.

It's pretty solid, 30 min fire rating and was IIRC with shipping up around $750 or so. I'd have like one of those even larger posh deals at maybe nearer $2k but - just too much to spend.

I think you should be able to find something in the $700 - $1000 range that is good for the job. I would do a broad web search too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Honestly the Patriot safe's look pretty good and the price is right too.

You can spend thousands on a safe, I would get the best you can afford and don't think that the Patriot will let you down. Solid looking safe.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

liberty safes

If you dont' mind spending a little more money for a lot better customer service and in my oppinion a better safe. I own three liberty safes and I could not ask for anything better. The compnay stands behind every safe and will help you out in every way possible. If you have a fire the company will ask that you let them come out and open it. They have area reps all around the country so you will not have to wait for days for a rep to come out. If you have any questions they will set you up with someone who can answer them. When I first started looking at safes I was looking at ft knox safes. Liberty even brought a ft knox safe in to the show room to show me the difference side by side. They will do this with just about any competitor safe. If you do not want their safe they will not pressure you into buying it.

Check out Gander Mt. http://www.gandermt.com/storelocator...p_Q_state_E_nc They have a very good selection of Liberty safes. At least the one in Denver CO dose. The prices are very nice, and to an untrained safe person, me, the construction is very good.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

VIP Member
    My second Cannon T27 container arrives tomorrow.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/safestraditionalseries/

I did the only buy one container and buy it once. Then I had to move. A 1350+lb container wasn't economical to move, so it stayed. Two 800lbs safes will be much easier to get moved in the future.

I have previously owned Liberty and Champion containers in the past and have given Ft Knox a hard look. I would not purchase a Liberty or Ft Knox right now. I would purchase a Champion again.

I went with Cannon this time because of local distribution, price point into the house and their warranty. The Patriot line looks good. I would be curious what the total cost in the house looks like.

-Scott-

I too have a Cannon and reccomend it For most of the reasons scott listed

In the market for a safe here too. I have been looking at the Patriot "Collector". I have called Patriot and the guy on the phone did a really good job of convincing me to buy one, but I have not ordered yet. The price is great and the fire rating is one of the highest on market. It seems that the same grade safe in a National Security or Fort Knox brand is more that twice the price. Let me know if you hear any more info as I will probably order one this week. Regards!

Links