Picked up a Night-Ops Gladius today...

This is a discussion on Picked up a Night-Ops Gladius today... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DDGator ExSoldier -- did you take a look at the review I posted? It answers all those questions and has a photo. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up a Night-Ops Gladius today...

Quote Originally Posted by DDGator
    ExSoldier -- did you take a look at the review I posted? It answers all those questions and has a photo.

Street prices have come down a little bit since I wrote the article.

How outrageous a price seems is directly related to how much money you have. ;) Plenty of people around here probably have $350 pocket knives (like the Sebenzas). If you think about it, you will get a lot more use out of a $180 flashlight in your everyday life than a $600 carry gun. And, a flashlight can be just as much of a lifesaving device as a gun.
    I agree with your input, don't let cost drive your decision. However it is an innovative light but too many features? I want a light to be clean & simple too many options can make it hard to properly discriminate your target. Just some thoughts...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Optr23
    I agree with your input, don't let cost drive your decision. However it is an innovative light but too many features? I want a light to be clean & simple too many options can make it hard to properly discriminate your target. Just some thoughts...
    I also agree with your point. I think that this is definitely a tactical light in the purest form, in the sense that it's mostly only useful to combat troops and law enforcement - me being the former with a decent tax return, I was able to justify the purchase ;) For a very nice review and more information on this particular light, check out the review by flashlight reviews here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ps_gladius.htm
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Conceal This.

Senior Moderator
    I think the Gladius is a quality light. The strobe feature seems to be a definite asset. But after a lot of consideration, it is my opinion that the Gladius is too complicated to be operated reliably under stress. It has a multifunction tail cap switch plus a multi-position ring switch to select various functions and operational modes.

IMO, a tactical light needs to be simple to operate for times sake and reliable operation in stressful conditions. For example, I have a SureFire L2 LED handheld. The L2 is a dual intensity light. If you press tail cap lightly, the low intensity comes on. If you press it harder, the high intensity beam comes on. Sounds simple enough, right? It's not simple, it's complicated. It proves to be difficult to keep the tail switch pressed so that the low beam stays on. There is a tendency for your thumb pressure to change and flash on the bright beam or let the light go off. If it flashes up to bright when you are reading a map or building floor plan in the dark, it messes up your night vision.

If I'm doing something I find it difficult to maintain that steady pressure on the tail cap. I can only imagine what it would be like in a stressful situation.

Of course one saving factor is that if you are in a stressful situation, you'll probably want the beam on high and you'll have more than enough pressure on the switch to maintain the high beam.

I like the Gladius and its features, but IMO, it's just too complicated for stressful situations.

I wouldn't say that its abundance of features is a detriment. There is nothing keeping the user from only using whatever features they want to use or need. For example, most people could probably leave this light on the 'constant on' channel and still benefit from the majority of this light's technology (high output led & long runtime, very simple adjustable dimming/brightening, heat protection, battery run-down circuitry/protection, etc.) If anything this light probably has the most simple design as far as dimming/brigtening of the light, most lights do not even have this feature or have a 2 bulb system that is not very adjustable.
    While it's not the best light out there, I don't think there really is one 'best' light out there, otherwise everybody would know about it and everybody would buy it because it's the 'best.' All lights are going to comprimise somewhere, and that's probably this light's biggest comprimise, you get a lot of technology and features, but that's all packaged into what's still just a flashlight.
    I bought it MAINLY for the fact that it was an LED which is inherantly tougher than xenon and lasts a lot longer. Not only that, it has output that surpasses 'most' xenon flashlights of it's size with over twice the runtime. Add to that the fact that I can adjust the light output to whatever I need and it's a winner in my book.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Conceal This.

Senior Moderator
    tater,

Well said, and I agree. I consider the Gladius as one of the best.

Updated info on first post.

Conceal This.

Senior Moderator
    tater,

Thanks for the update, I right on the verge of buying a Gladius.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links