Another reason for having a bug-out bag

This is a discussion on Another reason for having a bug-out bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another reason!? Heck, that's one of the main and most likely reasons to have a BOB. I have a graduated system for my escape plan, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another reason for having a bug-out bag

Administrator
    Another reason!? Heck, that's one of the main and most likely reasons to have a BOB.

I have a graduated system for my escape plan, not due to paranoia, but mostly due to storage issues and the mental exercise the planning created. I too have a trailer to pull behind my Jeep if time permits. I really like the idea of buying a small pop up camper and keeping that well stocked and ready to go... I just haven't got around to doing so yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    lol! I hadn't heard that one before. I keep oscillating between phase 1 and phase 2. I rebuild my pack, decide it's too heavy ,scrub weight, combine funtions, remove and replace items, then decide it's worth the extra weight to have them in the first place, and the whole thing starts over. Try as I might, I just can't seem to break that sub-40lb barrier.

Anyone know any good resources for proper pack adjustment? I remember the basics of adjusting from my BSA hiking days, but somehow now the weight always ends up on my shoulders and the sides of my neck instead of on my hips where it should be.
    If you have a lumbar/waist belt and it's tight and the weight is still on your shoulders you need to move the shoulder straps up. On my original external frame backpack (a hand-me down) I had to buy longer bolts and move the top of the shoulder strap above it's original attachment point (I'm tall). On most modern packs, there is an adjustment at the top of the shoulder strap, and at the bottom. The bottom adjusts the length of the straps, the top adjusts the snugness of the pack to your back. Try lengthening the bottom straps a little, use the top to snug it to your back if necessary.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Do your bugout bags include a couple rolls of tin foil?

I simply can't come up with a scenario where I would have to leave in such a short amount of time that I wouldn't be able to pack some stuff up. I can have everything I need (Including ALL of my guns and ammo as well as rawhides for my dog) stowed in the back of my Jeep in under 30 minutes. No need for a bag packed and ready at a moment's notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post

I simply can't come up with a scenario where I would have to leave in such a short amount of time that I wouldn't be able to pack some stuff up. I can have everything I need (Including rawhides for my dog) stowed in the back of my Jeep in under 30 minutes. No need for a bag packed and ready at a moment's notice.
    I think it's important to take in to account that everyone has different circumstances.

I work, so I'm not at home 100% of the time, so it doesn't matter that I could pack up at a moments notice. I may not be home, or be able to get home when there's an emergency. I need to have my things with me.

Everyone's circumstances are different.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I think it's important to take in to account that everyone has different circumstances.

I work, so I'm not at home 100% of the time, so it doesn't matter that I could pack up at a moments notice. I may not be home, or be able to get home when there's an emergency. I need to have my things with me.

Everyone's circumstances are different.
    So you are saying that you keep a bag with guns and ammo in your car at all times?

I work too and if there was a major catastrophe that required an immediate evacuation I can tell you that my priority would be getting home to my dog/cat and getting them safe - not finishing up my work for the day at the office.

Further - in most of my reading about these bags, most people have them at home waiting to be grabbed from there. I don't generally see people talking about keeping them nearby at all times.

VIP Member
    My bag has one purpose, mostly, which is to get me home. I have a long, mostly rural commute.

My bag is a small lumbar pack. The pack contains 6 high energy food bars, a dozen of my favorite candy, and some packages of Fig Newtons. A 40 gallon drum liner, a fixed blade knife, a fire starting tool, 1 pack of matches, a balaclava, glove liners, and a lightweight cap. A red led light, small button compass, and cash is included as well. A poncho is strapped to the outside.

In the car with the bag is a wool blanket, wool hat, and an 8 pack of water bottles.

If I can drive, I'll drive, if I have to walk, I'll walk and use the county road maps for nav. I have had a good bit of survival training, so some folks will want more kit that what I carry.

So you are saying that you keep a bag with guns and ammo in your car at all times?
    No you are making assumptions.

I work too and if there was a major catastrophe that required an immediate evacuation I can tell you that my priority would be getting home to my dog/cat and getting them safe - not finishing up my work for the day at the office.
    It looks like you are starting to understand - everyone has different circumstances.

Further - in most of my reading about these bags, most people have them at home waiting to be grabbed from there. I don't generally see people talking about keeping them nearby at all times.
    That may be the case, everyone has different circumstances that they plan for.

Let's take your assumptions and set them aside. Here are my circumstances:

I have a daughter that is babysat about 30 miles from my home. My home is in an area that will be the primary exodus route in an emergency. I work 40 miles from my daughter, for a total of 70 miles from my home.

My wife works about 40 miles from my daughter also, and about 30 miles form my work.

She needs to get to my daughter, or I need to get to my daughter, and then we need to get together. Or maybe I'll need to get her, then get to my daughter, or maybe the other way around.

That may take us even farther away from my home, and going to my home may be the last place I want to be (since that's where the masses will be going).

Everyone has different circumstances. You don't seem to be taking that into account, and appear to be operating under the assumption that everyone is in your shoes.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I simply can't come up with a scenario where I would have to leave in such a short amount of time that I wouldn't be able to pack some stuff up. I can have everything I need (Including ALL of my guns and ammo as well as rawhides for my dog) stowed in the back of my Jeep in under 30 minutes. No need for a bag packed and ready at a moment's notice.
    For me, it's about versatility. I have a truck box kit that I'm building as well, and additional supplies in the house.

If bad things happen, I'm heading for home first. If I decide that the house is not a good place to be, for whatever reason, I can take my truck and strike out for better areas. In the absolute worst case scenario, where a vehicle may not be viable (due to blocked roads, lack of fuel, etc), I want the ability to move on foot, and bring sufficient supplies with me. That means I need a pack.

As for time, I think it's wise to build such a pack ahead of when you actually need it. That way, I can make it the best pack I can, test it on campouts, and ensure that if I ever do really need the pack, it will work rather than leaving me SOL.

Like matiki said, everyone's situation is a little different. In mine, I don't think it's wise for me to fully rely on a vehicle. So I chose to create an on-foot kit, just in case.

And no, I don't have any tin foil in it. :-P
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I have a motorhome ready to go with a three week supply of emergency food and water, and clothing.

Add to that a 30-30 rifle and ammo, 9 mm ammo, and a 32 shot G18 magazine, 55 amp generator, 60 gallons of propane for coking, hot water, and refrigeration.

I keep it fueled, so unless we encounter bumper to bumper traffic (always happens in hurricane evacuations) we have 700 mile range.
    Only thing have to bring is the Glock on my hip.

You make an awful lot of assumptions of what you will be able to do and what can happen in a moments notice.... There have been tens of times both in California and here in Washington where mandatory evacuations have been put in place where you had <5 minutes to leave your home with an officer or fireman standing waiting for you. If you think that you will have at least 30 minutes in any circumstance you are seriously mistaken. Thats not paranoia thats just facts...

As others have stated not everyone is everywhere they want o be in a bad situation; remember that situation can be anything from earthquake, Tornado, Fire (CA example of having to leave within minutes) Flood, Mud slides, chemical leak (recent town that had acid spill) the list goes on and on and on about situations where you DO NOT have time to pack up and go.

For me its about having things that I need ready to go under ANY circumstance and thats why I have a bag in the truck and the little trailer at home. It does not take much to put together if you think about it. All of the cloths and blankets are older retired from the wardrobe, my camping gear needed a place to be stored anyhow, I have a bag of spare dog and cat food that I rotate through on a regular basis etc.

You might spend a bit of time thinking more about what may happen in real life situations and what has happened in past situations and then draw the conclusion based on that; in fact you may very well not have any natural disasters in your area, I highly doubt it but its possible.

Oh and yes I do have tin foil in the pack its great for cooking...

I think you all are making assumptions about everyone else as well.

I live in a heavy hurricane area. I don't know exactly where a hurricane will go until the last minute - but I have several days warning as to where it *might* go. I start packing then.

Wildfires are similar. Certainly they can move extremely quickly and change direction abruptly but honestly - how often does a fire spark and you get evacuated 5 minutes later? That doesn't happen. Most people know a fire is in their area, or potentially headed their direction a little before the "5 minute evacuation window".

And although there was some sarcasm in my tin foil comment I was genuinely trying to understand the need for this level of preparedness in non-cold war times.

Gentleman, I think whether you have 2 minutes or 2 hours is a moot point.

The important thing here is YOU HAVE A PLAN. Most morons stand around until the SHTF and then they are in scramble mode.

The neighbors Kids are crying, the wife is yelling, the husband is in a panic, the cops are yelling..................and I'm all ready gone.

It's all in the plan.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Gentleman, I think whether you have 2 minutes or 2 hours is a moot point.

The important thing here is YOU HAVE A PLAN. Most morons stand around until the SHTF and then they are in scramble mode.

The neighbors Kids are crying, the wife is yelling, the husband is in a panic, the cops are yelling..................and I'm all ready gone.

It's all in the plan.

Bingo!

I have a bag that goes in the van with me everywhere just in case. I have the stuff I need to make a fire (oxy/acet- LOL) and water and some food that stays there.

My gun is on me too.

I have a plan for at home as well. Ive had to actually bug out before and driving through flames wasnt so much fun.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Administrator

And although there was some sarcasm in my tin foil comment I was genuinely trying to understand the need for this level of preparedness in non-cold war times.
    I think the OP's original senario fits perfect; a chemical spill or such. There is always a danger of that. Being an LEO, I've had to knock on doors twice in the past five years letting people they needed to leave right now due to a spill.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well after the Rita scare, then in DFW a few Tornado evacts. I built my BOB, and my wife’s, and geo cached a few other goodies.

Well I figure I'll post pics instead of listing it all. It's a laptop bag..with LOTS of pockets.

Below is MY BOB with ammo box. Has several hundred rounds of each in freezer style zip lock baggies. The .45acp is for my EDC gun, the 308 M1A which will also be with me.
    I only live 4mile straight shot from my work...so it wouldn't be to hard to get to the house if SHTF and I'm @ work.

Brief listing: several flash lights large and small..one doesn't use batteries, small axe, several knifes, compass, few lighters, small folding shovel, tent spikes, tools, gloves, binocs, guns/ammo, knife sharpener..and MORE!

Wife's bag consist of towels, toilet paper, freezer style plastic zip locks with a few Dura flames, water and other items we have alternate meeting spots if separated.

We have plans, goodies and backup plans...

I also keep a small tent a cheesy sleeping bag in my, and the wife's vehicles (which are AWD vehicles) incase roads no longer are good.

Also SHTF plan is to head to Father in laws house in which is a heaven of self reliance...has enough supplies for us to last 6yrs...we figure that's enough time to figure out with the heck to do next.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links