Another reason for having a bug-out bag

This is a discussion on Another reason for having a bug-out bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm guessing the evacuees were directed to leave the area immediately and stay away for a few days. FOXNews.com - 5,000 Evacuated From Pa. Town ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another reason for having a bug-out bag

Another reason for having a bug-out bag

I'm guessing the evacuees were directed to leave the area immediately and stay away for a few days.

FOXNews.com - 5,000 Evacuated From Pa. Town After Truck Carrying Acid Overturns - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
    5,000 Evacuated From Pa. Town After Truck Carrying Acid Overturns
    Saturday, March 21, 2009

WIND GAP, Pennsylvania Authorities have ordered about 5,000 people surrounding a northeastern Pennsylvania town to evacuate after a tractor-trailer carrying a hazardous chemical overturned.

Officials say a tanker truck carrying more than 16 tons of corrosive hydrofluoric acid overturned early Saturday outside Wind Gap, about 60 miles north of Philadelphia.

Northampton County spokesman John Conklin says hazardous materials teams are wearing full protection suits as they work to stop the slowly dripping liquid.

Conklin says the truck driver was treated for injuries and released. There were no other immediate reports of injuries.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, hydrofluoric acid in low doses can irritate the eyes, nose, and respiratory tract. Inhalation can be fatal.

2. Remove Ads

Ours' is packed, ready and checked monthly.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

What do you guys keep in your Bug-out-bag?

Cloths, guns, food???
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Well, you'd have to go west because if you go east you'd be in Jersey in a short while.

Even the Boy Scouts are prepared. Sounds like a good reason to me.

Besides the obvious, I'd pack a roll of T.P. and a bottle of water. Maybe one change of clothes.

If you're really serious, add $1000 in $20's in a ziplock bag, and some power bars, and beef jerky.
    Last edited by Guns and more; March 21st, 2009 at 11:48 PM.

I used to have a trailer that was ready to 'fly'...just sold it today.

Now we'll have to plan another method of escape if, and only if, it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise we stay and protect the 'home front'.

I still have things organized in the garage and could leave with 30 minutes notice and survive for a while away from home...but I greatly prefer to stay put.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i have a bug out and a get home bag

Administrator
    concentrated hydrofluoric acid - nasty stuff.
    I've worked with it a few times.

I have a small trailer that is packed and ready just roll it out of the garage and go... Plus I am working on getting my CERT so I will have the seperate backpack for that which is fully outfitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    What do you guys keep in your Bug-out-bag?

Cloths, guns, food???
    You'll probably find about as many answers to that question as there are people.

I'll assume the simplest BOB will include ammo, spare mags, and maybe a spare gun if one owns such.

Others may include first-aid kits, food, water-purification tablets, clothes, etc.

There is no end to the possibilities. I suppose it depends on where you plan to head, what supplies (if any) you expect to already be at your destination, and how many days you need to survive off of your BOB.

I just have a simple one with guns, mags, and ammo, but I am way behind the curve on BOB's. I'm working on it.

uuum, I think this is something that should get my immediate attention.

I wonder how many people have not even considered a BOB
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

If you were a Boyscout, everything about a BOB should be remedial. For the rest, there are good websites out there to get you up to speed quickly. As someone who's taken survival training I'll warn you about the three phases as well.

Phase 1:
    I don't know what I'm doing, I take everything I can think of including the kitchen sink, and then I get bogged down and can't keep up.

Phase 2:
    I think I know what I'm doing. I take hardly anything. I can keep up, but I frequently have to improvise, beg borrow or steal to keep up.

Phase 3:
    I figured out that phase 1 was a good place to be, and I was just out of shape, whiny and dumb.

15 Essentials

Bug-Out Bag

The Big List -- Contents

Survival Gear & Bug Out Bags

Remember that you need to tailor your gear to your unique needs, environment and expectations.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Phase 1:
    I don't know what I'm doing, I take everything I can think of including the kitchen sink, and then I get bogged down and can't keep up.

Phase 2:
    I think I know what I'm doing. I take hardly anything. I can keep up, but I frequently have to improvise, beg borrow or steal to keep up.

Phase 3:
    I figured out that phase 1 was a good place to be, and I was just out of shape, whiny and dumb.

Thanks for the references.

I have started my BOB. It has the basics, but is still lacking greatly. I also have a get home bag that is pretty well stocked. It is a combat medic bag, and is very small and light. It doubles as my first aid kit, which is very well stocked. I wont list the contents here, for space considerations (and I am lazy). Good luck.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    As someone who's taken survival training I'll warn you about the three phases as well.

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Phase 3:
    lol! I hadn't heard that one before. I keep oscillating between phase 1 and phase 2. I rebuild my pack, decide it's too heavy ,scrub weight, combine funtions, remove and replace items, then decide it's worth the extra weight to have them in the first place, and the whole thing starts over. Try as I might, I just can't seem to break that sub-40lb barrier.

Anyone know any good resources for proper pack adjustment? I remember the basics of adjusting from my BSA hiking days, but somehow now the weight always ends up on my shoulders and the sides of my neck instead of on my hips where it should be.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links