Need a pistol safe

Need a pistol safe

This is a discussion on Need a pistol safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at pistol safes and I need a recommendation for one. Does anyone own a "Gun Vault" brand? Any help would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need a pistol safe

Need a pistol safe

I have been looking at pistol safes and I need a recommendation for one. Does anyone own a "Gun Vault" brand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bjh
    I just bought a "center of mass" bio box and have been extremely pleased.

BioBox Safes

Recommended pistol safe

I don't know how much space you require, but I recently purchased a "SportLock LLC 00064 - SafeLock Front Loading Electronic Safe with Shelf". After reviewing many types of safes, this was my overall favorite for the following reasons:
    1. It is small enough to hold one or two pistols and ammo.
    2. The primary method of access is finger-touch combination, not biometrics (which I don't trust 100% right now, after reading about some issues with those types of locks).
    3. Cheaper than biometric safes, due to the less sophisticated technology , but just as easy to open.
    4. Possibly the primary thing that sold me was that it is a front-load door. After the combination has been entered, the door springs open from the top, immediately granting you access to your firearm. I didn't like the idea of a side-hung door to swing open and have it get in the way as I'm reaching inside the safe. You can have the weapon and magazine on the top slide shelf and ammo below. Voila!

I use it in combination with a larger floor mounted safe so I can swap out my primary sidearm, knowing if I need a gun-in-a-hurry, my Sportlock is right there by my bed. Hope this helps in your decision making.

Thank you for the replies. For the money I may pay more for a traditional full size safe. I plan on acquiring a second pistol and a second rifle. With a full size safe I could put all 4 firearms, ammo, and important documents in them. I really do not feel that I have a need for immediate access to a firearm since I have 2 full size dogs that are protective of my family. BUT, If money allows I should buy both

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. For the money I may pay more for a traditional full size safe. I plan on acquiring a second pistol and a second rifle. With a full size safe I could put all 4 firearms, ammo, and important documents in them. I really do not feel that I have a need for immediate access to a firearm since I have 2 full size dogs that are protective of my family. BUT, If money allows I should buy both
    Regardless of your situation now...most people usually buy their first safe too small...collections always grow.
    Just ask those of us with more than one safe.

There are no 'guarantees' in life, but I feel a lot better when I leave the house and most of my friends are inside the 'steel walls'.
    ccman and bkenut like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have had a gunvault on the nightstand for maybe 2 years now. It does what it is supposed to...keeps the kids out. I don't believe it would stop someone with a screwdriver and a hammer. Their customer service was great, I had a problem and after a phone call they shipped me a new one, only asking that I ship the old one back. (Do leave a message...I tried calling about 20 times over 3 days and never got an answer, but finally leaving a message got me a return call within an hour)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I have had a gunvault on the nightstand for maybe 2 years now. It does what it is supposed to...keeps the kids out. I don't believe it would stop someone with a screwdriver and a hammer. Their customer service was great, I had a problem and after a phone call they shipped me a new one, only asking that I ship the old one back. (Do leave a message...I tried calling about 20 times over 3 days and never got an answer, but finally leaving a message got me a return call within an hour)
    I read a review online that the Gunvault requires you to enter the code 3 times can you explain the operation of this safe for me please.

I'd go that route, and new dog toys to keep the guards happy.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Gun Vault

I bought a GV a few years ago for he nightstand, definately should of gone "deluxe" - 2 gun, light option.
    It does the job just for the sake of being handy and accessible.
    I got another safe that has battery terminals on the outside if needed
    Amazon.com: HOMAK HS10036683 Electronic Access Pistol Box, 10-Inch by 3.5-Inch by 7.5-Inch: Home Improvement
    I was hoping it would fit along side the drivers seat and door in the truck, almost just a little tall.

Oops - that link is to a different model, same action though.

I read a review online that the Gunvault requires you to enter the code 3 times can you explain the operation of this safe for me please.
    Negative. If I recall correctly, if you enter the code INCORRECTLY 3 times in a row, the keypad locks you out for a while (5 or 15 minutes?). I did that once, but it's been so long ago. Even if the keypad is locked out (or broken) you can always use the key to open it. Normally, just enter the code once and it pops open. It takes me a second or 2 longer if it's very dark, because I have to feel my hand into position. The finger "grooves" are a great feature so you can do it in the complete dark.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The BioBox can be opened in seconds with a paper clip:

I've had a gun vault delux for going on 8+ years now and it does what I want. I had to send in the first model because of the cable system broke that unlocked the safe. But they sent me a shipping lable free of charge and I had a new one before I sent the old one out to them. The new unlocking sytem is much better and I have had zero issues in the last 4+ years that I've had the new one.

I also have a regular large gun safe that holds everything but my wife's and my carry guns. At night, I leave the door open on the quick access gun vault just to save that extra second if needed.

Check out a Fort Knox Original Pistol Vault. Simplex lock. No batteries, heavy steel. Empty it weighs 22 pounds. I really like mine.

Look at V-line. They all have a Simplex lock.

Another Lazarus award candidate...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links