Does taking a video recorder with you to the range/matches = damaged recorder mic?

Does taking a video recorder with you to the range/matches = damaged recorder mic?

This is a discussion on Does taking a video recorder with you to the range/matches = damaged recorder mic? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do the high levels of decibels damage any sensor or microphone within a video recorder (or camera)? Has anyone had experience when this happened? Thanks ...

Thread: Does taking a video recorder with you to the range/matches = damaged recorder mic?

Do the high levels of decibels damage any sensor or microphone within a video recorder (or camera)? Has anyone had experience when this happened?

Thanks for any tips.

I take my Kodak 330 with me all the time and never had a problem, it takes great video of us shooting....

YouTube - Shooting at steel Targets

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    Do the high levels of decibels damage any sensor or microphone within a video recorder (or camera)? Has anyone had experience when this happened?

Thanks for any tips.
    There's automatic gain control (AGC) built into recording systems to control the input. What will happen is it will max out and the sound will come through as a distorted pop. That's because the sound pressure level (SPL) has exceeded the dynamic range of the audio circuit.

The most expensive microphones (think recording studio quality) could be damaged, but I doubt that the ones built into everyday recorders will suffer. Put a little distance between yourself and the shooter, sound drops off dramatically over distance.

The reason your ear gets damaged is because nature doesn't have AGC built into our ears. They're designed to hear the faintest noises but get damaged by the loudest ones.
    Last edited by highvoltage; April 30th, 2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added additional information

I used a hitachi mini dvd recorder and recorded full auto m16 on an indoor range,didn't hurt the camera at all,but the playback was just as loud as in the range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Probably not, but I wouldn't put my $$$ camcorder too close to anything that goes bang.

Remember sound pressure levels drop rapidly when distance is increased. So put your cam far and use the zoom.

Also you can cover the microphone with masking tape (if you cover it completely, it will greatly reduce the sound that reaches the delicate parts) or put the entire camera in a shoe/plywood box with foam and a hole in the side. Be creative.

Most quality mics can handle 140 db or so without distorting (not damage, but distorted signal!). Cheap ones are probably less. Gunfire is in the 140-150 db range at a few feet.

Sponsored Links