Defensive Carry banner

Do you have lasers and lights...

4K views 62 replies 43 participants last post by  SIGP250 
#1 ·
on your EDC weapon?

I dont and do not want any. Im just asking as this seems to be a discussion topic that comes up with friends who carry.

My wife wants a laser on her P11. I say its dumb but would put it on there for her.

EDIT: I figured it should be in weapons but I guess it could go in accessories...

#4 ·
Not for my EDC gun. Lights would just be impractical, you are better off carrying a flashlight. I know that CT and lasermax are very popular as far as lasers go, but they are not for me.

I personally am a fan of having a weapon mounted light on your bedside gun, in addition to a separate flashlight.

#7 ·
Gun mounted lights are not practical IMO for most CCW. I have CT Lasergrips/Laserguard on my S&W J Frame and Kahr PM9 bugs.

#8 ·
My M6 goes on the rail for my night time home defense choice. That may very well be the same pistol I've used for all day every day carry. But I do not use a light/laser on my carry pistol when I'm carrying.

#10 ·
Not on my EDC...but do have Lasermax on my J-Frame which I use as a BUG and then at night, laying on my night table, within easy arms reach, when I talk to my pillows..

#11 ·
Light: not while concealed. In an ideal world, yes, I'd like to have one but even a micro light would make appendix carry less comfortable and/or concealable. So I just carry my Novatac 120P.

Laser: I have a set of Lasergrips on every pistol I carry if Lasergrips are available. Simply put, there are things you can accomplish with a laser that you cannot accomplish without a laser. Those things may not be important to -- or understood by -- some folks, but once you've had some training and experience it's very hard to give up those advantages.

#12 ·
Light: I never have a gun mounted light on my carry gun, however I do keep one for the bedroom gun

Laser: Different story here. I have CTC laser grips on most of my carry guns (the primary two are a G19 & G23) and night sights on all except my Kahr CW9. As I get older, my eyes appreciate the lasers more and more!

#14 ·
Yep. Having conversed with two gentlemen who carry concealed, non-civilian, on a regular basis, they converted me to the laser crew. It is a "backup" to the traditional sight picture, and allows shooting something from angles where you may not be able to align the irons.

#13 ·
I'm a big fan of both lights/lasers. On both of my G30SF's have Unimax Lasers (one red the other one is green), they mount on the Glock rail. My G21SF has a Lasermax internal red laser, and at night I attach my TLR Streamlight to the rail. I also keep a hand-held Mag Light on my night stand.

#15 ·
I put a laser on a S&W 637 for my wife...she doesn't use it.
No lights of lasers on my pistolas...just night sights.

#16 ·
Nope, no lasers, lights or night sights for me on my EDCs.

If I can't see what it is that I am shooting, I am not going to be pulling the trigger. There are no distances in my house that I can't point shoot effectively, so actually sights probably aren't even needed while inside at night in my case.

#17 ·
My EDC becomes my HD gun after dark...the G23 gets a Surefire X200 on it which I keep laying on the night stand, next to the secondary light source, a SureFire E1L EDC...I just carry the gun and my E1L...with night sights.

#18 ·
Never cared for lasers and don't find them a necessity. I have mepro's and a nice 150 lumen flashlight. :yup:

#21 ·
For the most part, those of you that understand the true application and proper usage for a laser have them and use them.

I myself was a late convert to even Night Sights. I always used the same old tired argument about how if it's too dark to see my target it's too dark to shoot. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Now I have Night Sights and a Laser on my off duty EDC and I keep lights on my long guns. I still prefer no white light on my handguns because of how I use a handgun, and the situations I have found myself in over the years.

If the choice was between a laser and Night Sights I would choose the laser, but I'm lucky and have both on my off duty gun. My agency has not seen fit to issue lights or lasers for the on duty guns. I hope that will change in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. I will just do the best I can do and train like my life depends upon it, because it does.

I carry a light anytime I have pants on. It's clipped to my pocket, or on my Duty Belt. I have found that I use the light more often than a gun. That's one reason why I don't like lights on my handgun, as I don't like pointing a loaded gun at non-adversaries. As far as long arms and lights, I only have two hands and find it too difficult to operate a light and a long gun. Also, if I'm reaching for a long arm I already have a pretty good indication that there is a verifiable threat present.

An arguement can be made that you can operate the light/gun while using the other hand to open/close doors, talk on the radio/phone or perform other various functions. Most of these gun lights operate by means of an On/Off Switch or a Pressure Switch. I'm not fast enough to operate the On/Off Switch in such a manner that I don't give myself away or calm and cool enough that I don't take a very firm grip on the gun, thus activating the light, when I draw it for real.

IMHO, for a handgun, the light belongs in the support hand. Light Discipline is too often ignored by too many IMO. The same can be said of lasers, but my trigger finger technique blocks the laser from giving me away.

I like lasers, night sights and lights. The "trick" is knowing how to properly use them and when they can/should be used.

Biker

#22 ·
For the most part, those of you that understand the true application and proper usage for a laser have them and use them.

I like lasers, night sights and lights. The "trick" is knowing how to properly use them and when they can/should be used.

Biker
The question was whether or not they were "on" the weapon.

I do not disagree with your post though.

#24 ·
My wife wants a laser on her P11. I say its dumb but would put it on there for her.
I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I believe it is a very good idea, especially for someone that does not shoot their EDC/SD weapon very often. In the heat of the moment, one does not always have the time or may be not even thinking of acquiring good aim on the target. To be able to see a red dOt on what you are shooting at would be very helpful, IMO.

:wave:

#35 ·
Ahhh she shoots the gun plenty. She gets about 200 rounds a month through the gun. We try to do some drills and stuff twice a month.

I was trying to provide some reasoning or rationale behind my decisions, hence the long post.

Biker
I gotcha. Yes, I understood. No problem I was just clarifying. :)

#25 ·
No,

Most lasers point to where you target. This means that if you accurately site, the laser beam should not be at all visible.

If on the other hand you are a point shooter a laser might be useful.

Most are not trained to shoot from the hip but this is what a laser grip might be useful for.

In theory, the bullet follows that path of where the laser is pointed.
Sounds great, except this depends on grip and trigger pull exactly the same as without laser grips. Training is most important. Lasers in my option will not improve your skill or shooting ability until unless you are an accurate shooter to begin with.

As a training aid I would pass even though I sell them.

I do recommend night sights.

Unless you are a tactical LEO a flashlight might do northing but alert a possible target. I sell all but don't recommend to everyone except for special needs.

I will say though, If you have formidable weapon and paint a laser trace on an assailant's forehead the assailant will probably think twice before you are forced to unload what it might take to stop the intruder.

#26 ·
IMHO if you choose to go the CT or lazermax route your are not excused from practicing with your iron sights. theses things can fail and should not be relighted on 100% that being said. use 'em if you got 'em.

#28 ·
I have a crimson trace on one of my Kimbers, but I'd rather have it on my jframe. Anyone who knocks a laser has never really done any low light combat shooting with one. They are excellent for point shooting where you dont use your sights just point and shoot. Rail lights are excellent as well. I have one on Duty weapon and hope we get the holsters that will accomodate the full time mount soon. Right now we just pop it on as needed.

#31 ·
Really? Can you explain why it's a waste of money? I'm specifically interested in how much professional instruction you've had using lights and lasers on a weapon intended for combat. In particular, how much force on force training have you done using those items prior to dismissing them as "a waste of money?"

As for batteries, again this comes across as if you don't have a lot of experience. Most modern weapon mounted lights use step-down technology so it's very clear when you're losing battery power (and you still have many minutes of useful light at that point). And what's the alternative, shooting blindly in the dark? For the laser, at least the ones I'm most familiar with (Crimson Trace), they also grow dim before dying ... so if yours start to dim during practice, replace them.

#32 ·
I have used the Lasermax and liked it. A laser holds an intimidation factor. Just something about seeing a red dot on your chest, makes one think twice about his future course of action.

The lasermax is fairly accurate +-2" at 25 feet, plus if nothing else, makes a great dry firing aide.

The laser isn't for everyone, but will come in handy in different situations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.