Advice on a good safe for your CCG

This is a discussion on Advice on a good safe for your CCG within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When we eventually get the new baby home, I want to make sure that if it's not on my person, it's stored safely (because of ...

Thread: Advice on a good safe for your CCG

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

When we eventually get the new baby home, I want to make sure that if it's not on my person, it's stored safely (because of my minor son in the house) and still within easy access, should I need it.

I was planning on carrying unless we were going to bed, and it's been suggested to me that a small, biometric safe that is made to go on the nightstand or in the top drawer of a nightstand would probably be the best way to go. It's supposed to take 3 or 4 steps to be able to get the gun, out of a sound sleep, so you don't do anything accidental.

My question is this: do any of you have one of these nightstand-type biometric safes? Which make/model? What's the price range I'm looking at, if you know? How do you like it? What are the faults, or what should I look for and look out for? And most importantly, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE to read your fingerprints and then open up for you to grab your gun in case of emergency?

Alternative suggestions are welcomed too. I figured you guys are the best place to do some major research, and I need to get all the info I can and order something NOW, before I actually take the gun home.

PS: My son is "gun-proofed" but I'm uncomfortable with trigger locks for multiple reasons, I would rather the gun be kept in a box where it can't be seen by prying eyes (aka: his friends that barge in all over the house rudely) just in case. I'd rather no one knows that a) we have one in the house and b) where it is, you know? People just get all excited and crazy and I don't want that on our block.

Thanks!

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Haven't dealt with them since I have no children in the home. The problem I have with a biometric safe is it would not allow my wife access without the backup key, just something to think about. A push button combination safe might be a better way to go, and of course you want want that has a back up key in case the battery goes dead you can still get it open to change the battery out. I know the push button combo safes will start somewhere around $65. and go up from there depending on model and features.

Sponsored Links