LEOs please respond. What equipment gift for Police Academy Graduate

This is a discussion on LEOs please respond. What equipment gift for Police Academy Graduate within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to get a graduation gift for my cousin. He's a former Airforce Defender now graduating from police academy and starting a new job ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I need to get a graduation gift for my cousin. He's a former Airforce Defender now graduating from police academy and starting a new job with Local Sheriff Dept.

I would like to get him something equipment related that he will use and appreciate having. Maybe something he doesn't realize he needs, but is great to have on the job.

No guns, he's already well stocked in that category.

Thanks for the help.

I am not an LEO (yet), but I have a suggestion. Get him a good 2-CR123 powered light, such as a Fenix TK11 or Surefire U2. It's always good to have a backup light.

Administrator
    How much do you want to spend? A good light is always appreciated. Another great gift is a nice pen style cuff key. Every cop needs one of those, and its often overlooked until you have been around the block a little bit.

I got more ideas, but I need to know your budget.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If he dont have one, a nice digital camera.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    A good police briefcase. These are different then typical briefcase. This will be about 8 inches wide.
    A good high quality pair of leather gloves (unlined).
    High quality sunglasses (unless he pulls the deep night shift) but he will need them to drive home.
    Flashlights (small with a 120 lumens or better) LED bulb so the batteries last longer
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm looking to spend up to $150.

Administrator
    A good patrol bag will be needed. That, gloves and a cuff key can all be easily had for under 150.

Also, you might want to find out what uniform shop the SO uses, and get him a gift cert from there. There are always things that pop up for the new guys; they just dont always have the cash to go buy them right away. Things like spare boots hats etc always come up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Get him a nice rainjacket. A long one,full length with Goretex or other lining that breaths.Reversible. Black one side, orange or chartreuse on the other. It will come in handy. You can do it for less than 150.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A good patrol bag will be needed. That, gloves and a cuff key can all be easily had for under 150.

Also, you might want to find out what uniform shop the SO uses, and get him a gift cert from there. There are always things that pop up for the new guys; they just dont always have the cash to go buy them right away. Things like spare boots hats etc always come up.
    The gift certificate is a great idea -- or for a place like galls.com, policehq.com, etc.
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Get 'em a Cool Cop!

CoolCop-Body Armor Air Conditioning

One of the BEST 'silly' gifts I've ever gotten for my LEO buddys. I've used them myself. These things are wonderful when it gets hot (or cold).

I call 'em silly and other LEO's/military guys have 'made fun of 'em' when they've seen them for the first time.....but.....I've seen entire shifts invest in them after a very short time.

I think it'd be a great gift your newly graduated LEO will use......often.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I suggest a small add-on to some of the suggestions. They make a cuff key that stores under a belt keeper, on the duty rig. I have some friends who go nowhere without them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

That about "nails it".

I wish someone had bought me a bag years ago, or given me a gift certificate. Lord knows I spent enough money in the uniform emporium when I started.

Biker

Find out if a "walky" is issued and buy some spare batteries. Nothing like being on overtime with a dead battery.

I carry a "Goto" bag with extra mags, knife, flashlight, flashlight batteries, ammo, shotshells and FAK (First Aid Kit). Make a "Goto" bag for him or just buy the bag. I currently use a Maxpedition Jumbo. I had to buy my own mags, ammo and made my own FAK for me. I made my bag for the "active shooter" situation.

Knowing what I know now I carry 2 BUGs, two knives and three flashlights (Magcharger (in hand while on foot), Novatac (back pocket) and a Firstlight Liberator on belt-Firstlightusa.com). I like Benchmade knives, maybe have his grad date engraved on the blade or engrave his badge number on the blade or flashlight(s).

Badge holder/wallet.

On a day to day basis I use my pen alot! Need to have a pen to write up reports, field interview possible suspects and sign your name and badge number on everything! Engrave his badge number on his pen.

Patrol bag is a good gift too but I'm glad I bought my own because the typical office briefcase is what my family would have bought me. You know the one with the snap-up latches.

Cruisermate clipboards. One for paperwork and one to hold traffic tickets and parking tickets.

I have a coolcop...the best investment I ever made. In the summer it really helps to keep me cool, especially after a foot chase.

Cut resistant gloves are a good choice too.

Pen style cuff key or a cuff key with a light, heck buy both...they are both pretty cheap but I use mine a lot. In fact I need to buy a new one.

If his department doesn't have a gym, get him a gym membership.

If I knew a family or friend who was graduating from the academy I would give him two gifts. A small gift after his graduation (cruisermate clipboard and a gift certificate to Galls or a badge holder wallet) and a second-more expensive gift-after his training with his Field Training Officer (FTO) and probation with the department (ie. Knife, flashlight, BUG holster etc.). That way he has an idea after being with a FTO what type of equipment he would want or need. One can think about the things that they may need and buy it only to find out that they don't need/use it as often as one thought. Believe me, new officers will not stop talking about their experiences. If you are close friends/family you'll soon find out what type of equipment he wants to have..."So we were chasing this guy on foot and all of a sudden my FTO brought out this cool (insert tool) that we can use and..." Aha, a gift idea! Also new officers know the date when their probation is up and they are "officially" on the department for good.

Good Luck in your quest and tell him to "Stay Safe!"

Gift Certificate to 511... I love me some 511

Scotch.

He will need that as a police officer with all the people he deals with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links