CT grips - 2 (unrelated) findings

This is a discussion on CT grips - 2 (unrelated) findings within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, which I meant to mention some while ago - is that if gun is laid down in some ways - pressure pad can be ...

Thread: CT grips - 2 (unrelated) findings

Assistant Administrator

First, which I meant to mention some while ago - is that if gun is laid down in some ways - pressure pad can be activated.

I refer to the grips such as I have on SIG's - one pad each side. On the 226, being the carry piece I leave master switch always on but had noticed that when placed on the floor at night, it could switch laser on. I now rest it such that base of grip is resting on flashlight and so totally clear of any pressure.

The first time this happened I had not noticed when I placed 220 on a hard surface and next day battery was well down - weight is obviously enough to enable this to occur. Now the unused-for-carry SIG's have master sw left off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The second and totally different observation was with regard to the laser's apparent usefulness in dissuading a less than friendly dog from approaching. A house several hundred yards away has a big Lab mix which is now and again out and about. I am convinced the animal is bi-polar Some days it is wandering out back in corn field and sedate and quiet.

Now and again tho it walks the same area but stops and barks at any sound or movement - a slightly aggressive behavior added to which it tends to advance rather than retreat.

I was attending other day to my burn barrel late in the day, which is close to the field and along comes the dog, looking less than happy. Now while I doubt this is an animal likely to attack I was not comfortable at all plus, being on my own property. I drew the SIG and aimed the laser at it to assess any effect (approx 20 yards away), being quite prepared to retreat if it seemed to provoke. It did not and had the effect I had hoped for - the dog backed off. It stopped and again kept barking - I repeated the laser (say, 40 yards) and it backed away again. Finally it gave up and went home after about four repeats and progressive retreats.

Maybe some might think this unwise, even contraversial, but I did not like the animal being close and potentially advancing - I was on my property and did not feel I had to retreat from choice. I was not wanting to provoke but the excercise did suggest that a laser might dissuade a dog from further approach - it certainly worked well in this case.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    It was likely not the laser, but just the gun that dissuaded the dog. Many dogs know that guns go BOOM. They have sensitive ears, etc.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I wondered if laying it on its side would activate the switch .. now i know

As for the Dog i don't have a problem with it after all it is your property and your safety

It's just an animal and a potentially aggressive one at that. I think that was quite reasonable to "fend" it off harmlessly with the laser. If it got aggressive, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

In Texas we have a little saying about that: shoot, shovel, and shut up.

I may yet break down and get some CT grips... I have to admit if they were a possibility for the XD it'd be hard to resist.

Assistant Administrator
    jar - tho I didn't say - it did in fact seem to be the light.

Just the gun pointing had no effect but as I activated the laser and tracked the dot across ground it finally ''washed'' across his face - so very briefly flashed in his eyes. I imagined that was what did the trick. Being only a 5mW beam it would not cause any eye damage IMO with a mere passing flash.
    Chris - P95

p95carry... i'm pretty sure that running it across his eyes did the trick. we've had some critter encounters out here, mostly foxes, coons, and some stray dogs.
    everytime we beamed their eyes to warn them off, they've ran. i know if somebody lasered my eyes, i'd run too. if could see that is.

Lead Moderator
    While I have never seen a animal react to a laser(other than cats) it could be a deteriant. I have seens several dogs back off at the sight of a gun.
    I like the laser idea, but think my Ambi 1911 safety will get in the way of CT's.

If you pointed your laser at my dogs they would chase it ... we use a laser pen as a play toy with em.... they will climb the walls to get the little red lite & then go nuts looking for it when it dissappears...... Makes dryfiring with my chiefs special with CT grips kind of fun.......

Rocky,

I had to modify my AMBI safety by about 1/4 inch to get it to clear the laser bump on my Springer 1911. It still works & can be used by the left thumb but is alot smaller then the other side.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDawg
    Rocky,

I had to modify my AMBI safety by about 1/4 inch to get it to clear the laser bump on my Springer 1911. It still works & can be used by the left thumb but is alot smaller then the other side.
    I hate to cut it down, since I am LH user, and am used to the full safety pad now.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

So far I have not had a problem with laying my P229 down on its side with the CT Grips. I also leave the master switch on all the time and I have not noticed a problem with the laser coming on why I did not want it to.

As for the dog and the laser. Well, my dog would start chasing the dot. It is so much fun to play with out in the back yard at night. So funny to see him react when he think that he has caught the light.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Assistant Administrator
    catchr and dawg - agreed re the play thing - cats in particular. However here I doubt the rather hyped dog was in play mode - he sure didn't show any play interest!!

So maybe the deal is different when dog in more aggressive mood - in which case, this one anyways - it proved seemingly a good deterrant and he moved on - in stages!
    Chris - P95

As long as he moved on, It worked for you.

As for my 229, I always carry it while I am walking my dog, and I now have something that I can try if attacked by another dog.

Thanks for the info, did not mean to say anything other than my dog loves the laser dot.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Lightbulb

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to patent an "anti-skunk" laser flashlight! I'll use it to chase off the assorted skunks (yuk...), cats, dogs and other critters in my yard.

Actually - a laser pointer might just be what I need!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links