TSA approved cases

This is a discussion on TSA approved cases within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I haven't flown since 9/11 and I used to take my maching guns all over the place in military competition. I have a large ...

Thread: TSA approved cases

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

TSA approved cases

Hi, I haven't flown since 9/11 and I used to take my maching guns all over the place in military competition.
    I have a large aluminum case by ADG sports, realtree cammo covered. The problem is that it has two combo three number tumbler locks built into the case. There is no place for outside locks. This is a very strong, expensive case ($200 bucks)
    My other case is a Pelican with installed key locks which I carry.
    Should I get a new case with outside locks?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Hi, I haven't flown since 9/11 and I used to take my maching guns all over the place in military competition.
    I have a large aluminum case by ADG sports, realtree cammo covered. The problem is that it has two combo three number tumbler locks built into the case. There is no place for outside locks. This is a very strong, expensive case ($200 bucks)
    My other case is a Pelican with installed key locks which I carry.
    Should I get a new case with outside locks?
    I wouldn't.

You are the only one that's supposed to have access to the inside of the case, IIRC.

That means you don't give the T.S.A. people the keys to your locks on the case, the combination, or anything else that grants them access to the inside of the case.

If they need to go inside your case they need to contact you and take you to a secure area to open it. After they do whatever they do on the inside, you are to lock it again, not them.

I realize it's not always done this way, but IIRC, and my interpretation is right, that's how it's supposed to go.

Biker

Yep. You should not use a TSA approved case because that means they can get in. For your outside baggage, that should have a TSA-approved lock on it, but as for the actual container housing your firearm, it should only be openable by you yourself.

I kind of retract my previous statement. It looks like I was in a bit of error as far as the "outside" bag. You shouldn't use one. Just use a single container containing your firearm, that you place your own, non-TSA approved lock on. Don't place a separate locked container inside another container or bag... things get stolen that way.

This is worth a watch if you have the time.

YouTube - Deviant Ollam - Packing and the Friendly Skies - LayerOne 2009

The guy who produced that video also rated the gun friendliness of airlines: Firearms Talks, Etc

You can find lots of other useful information there too, including the powerpoint slides he used in his presentation.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Thank you guys I'm feeling a lot better. Isn't it funny that I'm more apprehensive about flying than a week of hard training with Mas.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Every time I have flown since 9/11 with guns, they were in a box with the orange tag filled out (and placed inside), locked with non-TSA locks, then put inside normal luggage with TSA locks on that. After filling out the orange tag and placing it inside the approved case, I lock it up and take it over to the TSA X-ray machine and hang around until it goes through (that way, if they want to look at it, I can unlock it, they can inspect it, and it gets locked back up). Normally luggage containing firearms goes into the "special handling" luggage group, which from my understanding is everything too large, too heavy or had been additionally insurance taken out on it (I know, "doesn't that make those pieces of luggage targets?", but that is my understanding).

Technically there are no TSA approved cases. The type of case used is decided upon by the air carrier. I have always used a Doskocil type molded case with a big honkin padlock through the handles. Never had any questions or comments from the TSA or the airline. Keep the key on your person. No one else is allowed to have possession of the key. Make sure the ticket agent DOES NOT place the "UNLOADED FIREARM" tag anywhere except inside the case with the gun. If you transporting a handgun place it inside your suitcase. About half of the ticket agents don't know the rules on this. Print the airline's rules and carry them with you.

I simply use the plastic case the gun came in and then put it into a regular suitcase.
    I tape a large note on the inner case with my cell # so TSA can reach me if they want to open the inner case.This is for airports where the agent takes the bag and then it leaves your sight on it's way to the X-Ray.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Case Rules and Cases

Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.

Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into. The labeling should be limited to:
    • Your Name
    • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    • Your personal email address - if you have one
    • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED

Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
    • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
    • if the TSA wants to see

I use this case to lock the the weapon (See Pistol Pack at the bottom of the Page).

Flambeau Outdoors Hunting Products - Gun Cases
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Links