Best 1911 magazines? - Page 2

Best 1911 magazines?

This is a discussion on Best 1911 magazines? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD Rocky, Do your SA mags have a visible seem down the spine of the tube body? If so, those would be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 magazines?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Rocky,

Do your SA mags have a visible seem down the spine of the tube body? If so, those would be Metalforms, if they're seamless, they're Checkmates. Novaks are Mec-Gar's. http://www.mec-gar.it/
    seamless, thanks for the info.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Rocky,

Do your SA mags have a visible seem down the spine of the tube body? If so, those would be Metalforms, if they're seamless, they're Checkmates. Novaks are Mec-Gar's. http://www.mec-gar.it/

Sorry Od novaks are ACT-Mag unless something changes lately

http://www.precisionsalesintl.com/actmag.html

the Wilsons work flawlessly for me.......in my Pro CDP
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OD*
    No Bud, your absolutely correct, I posted the wrong maker.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I know that I will get some heat on this. But you cannot beat the Mil-spec mags. I am talking about the ones that you can find for $5.95 + each (Cheaper Than Dirt). Over 98 percent of them will work just as good as the high price mags. And you known the ones that I am talking about. But as with any thing that you would carry for self-defense you need to test it, shoot some rounds down range. Keep the ones that work, trash to others, or try them in another gun. I have seen mags work in one 1911 and did not work in another. You can put a rubber mag pad on the bottom yourself with just flip-flop and some glue. I have used Mil-spec and/or factory (came with gun) mags for over 30 years without any problems (after complete check out of them). Never paid the price for the high dollar mags. Never did see a reason to do so. Have build several 1911 race guns and I used Mil-spec in them also.

frankmako

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sadly,mags are one of the least thought about parts of your "weapon system". Mags don't have allot of moving parts.Hell,they're pretty simple. But they do have several critical angles and edges. These have to be fairly precise. Also the mags have to get their fair share of PM's. I have competed against guys(and gals) that use MIL mags. Several years ago I was whiped by a older "gentlemen" using mags that his father used in WWII. The people that tend to stick with the (fairly) MIL SPEC guns,usually will try to stay with the older MIL mags. Had a friend tell me that he had a buddy that went to a gov't auction and bought a lot of 200 MIL mags. He took the mags to his shooting club one weekend and everybody tried them in their weapons. He ended up selling well over 100 of the mags. Some mags just work with certin weapons.

To me finding the right mag for the weapon is to start with Wilson or at least the Wilson"guts". --------

Lots of good information here... I guess the bottom line is I'm going to pick something up and hold onto it since it looks like if I get the right kind of mags, followers and springs can always be replaced down the road.

Funny thing about a 1911 pattern pistol is this: You have so many choices in magazines, and I don't think that it's a good thing at all. Now granted you have the advantage of knowing you will always always always be able to get magazines and you can tweak them a little bit, but I'd much rather have something idiot proof for a defensive gun that's just plug in and go.

On the plus side it does seem to keep the prices down. Nothing that anyone has suggested here is terribly expensive. That doesn't make a good gun necessarily but it doesn't hurt my feelings none.

I'm wondering if the mag the owner left with me is a factory mag at all.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    As with holsters for CCW,most of the 1911 people have a drawer full of mags and mag "guts". I know that I do. This comes from expieramenting with FTF's,looks,capacity,base pads,and sometimes where the ammo windows are located or how many there are.
    I went through quite a few mags during my"which 1911 do I want"days. Now that I am pretty much set on 3" Kimbers for carry and 5" Colts for competition,my mag drawer is starting to get somewhat empty. At least from the way that it was 10 years ago. Belonging to several shooting/hunting clubs,and teaching a CCW class has given me the opportunity to sell/trade off some of the unused/unwanted mags that I had in the drawer.
    Now,if I can just get rid of some of my AR,AK and FN/FAL mags,hell,I could buy that SOCOM that I have been wanting.
    No,wait,then I'd have to start another mag collection. CRAP !! -------

OD*
    Euc,

If you do get or trade for 1911, one of the major things you should remember (in my opinion), magazines for the 1911s are not accessories, they are in fact, an integral part of the design.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

That's pretty much true of any semiauto pistol though. Let's face it, modern handguns owe a lot to the 1911 and I'm convinced that the magazine is the built in Achilles heel.

Even on my XDs where you only have 2 or 3 magazine options I'm picky to only choose one certain kind, and even then some of my magazines I take seriously and others have something to prove to me.

OD*
    That's true. You'd be amazed at how many people don't understand it though, then maybe you wouldn't.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i like Wilson 47D's in stainless.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Did I miss it or did no one mention Novak Mags. I use these almost exclusivly. They are great and top notch quality at a good price. I got mine (blued 7 round) for $13 a piece.

clipse

I am a Wilson fan as well.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Virgil Tripp's mags!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links