Best 1911 magazines?

This is a discussion on Best 1911 magazines? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay chirp in here you 1911 lovers... I want to get a couple of 1911 mags just because I think the one I have with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 magazines?

Best 1911 magazines?

Okay chirp in here you 1911 lovers... I want to get a couple of 1911 mags just because I think the one I have with the gun looks like it's substandard, and I want more than one anyway just to play with.

Because I believe we shouldn't assume, this is for a Government 1911 I'm currently trying out on a loan, and believe me this particular gun is as plain as it gets besides the super cheap 1911s. It's not a compact or a double stack model or chambered in another caliber or anything like that. I'm babysitting a Springfield GI WW2 Milspec for at least another week and a half while the other party is trying my Sig out for size to see if he wants to get one of those.

I've always heard that the Wilson 47D was the best overall 1911 magazine and they're locally available at a reasonable price. I haven't really heard much about any other brand besides Chip McCormick.

But I want to hear some more general opinions. If nothing else I'd like to pick up mags I could easily resell for 50% of what I paid for them if I wanted to. More than likely I'd toss it in the old parts bucket though... heck I've never even owned a 1911 and I've got a pretty nice set of grips for one. I just hope I have the bushings and screws I need...

2. Remove Ads

los
    I've always replaced my factory Mags with those made by Wilson. The features I like best about the 47D series is that the Base Pad can be removed and exchanged to fill specific needs i.e; low profile pad for Conceal Carry, extended base pad for 1911s w/Mag Well, etc, etc.

The Wilson aluminum magazine frame helps reduce weight.

The plastic Follower is also a good feature that doesn't marr or scratch aluminum throat (framed) 1911s like my Kimber UC.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Wilson mags are very good as you mentioned the 47D mags, they are hard to beat.

Tripp Cobra mags IMO are a better mag, better follower, spring and body and design. I have both and the Tripp mags rule the roost.

CM Power Mags are also a good choice. It really depends on if you want a metal follower or not. Wilson and Tripp I know for sure have very good resale value.

Mecgar? (spl) to be honest are also a good mag but poor in resale.

If you want to get really crazy find some used Wilson 47D mags at a good price and load them with Tripp springs and followers. That makes for a sweet mag then because as los touched on you can interchange base pad's.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; March 17th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator

Thumbs up Tripp Research

I have so many pistol magazines...........yikes! But, I'm always interested in buying more.
    The next pistol magazines that I buy will be from Tripp Research.
    Their Cobra mags have pretty much eliminated Magazine related Failure To Feed probems due to some really innovative design work & engineering. Very high quality pistol magazines.

CLICK HERE TO VISIT TRIPP RESEARCH ~ Home of the Cobra Mag.

ALSO VISIT THIS PAGE ON THEIR SITE

Hey! Ti Carry Stole My THUNDER! There is a man who knows his pistol magazines! Good Show! Ti Carry !
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Have heard great things about the Tripp mags - just haven't ordered any yet. Have always used Wilson and I do now because my gun has an aluminum frame and didn't want metal followers.
    Wilson has conversion parts - I've used their followers and springs in Colt mags with good results.
    Mostly jumping in here to add this:
    McCormick Shooting Star mags have changed over the past year or so, I'm convinced of this - they used to be just fine but now hear lots of complaints (they now have a "match grade" mag that I think is the old Shooting Star). I don't have any real evidence of this besides comments from others.

OD*
    Euc,

Why not just go directly to the the companies that make the magazines for Wilson, McCormick, Colt, Springfield, Kimber etc?
    https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp
    http://checkmateindustries.thomasnet...dgun-magazines
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

1951 - 2011
    Hello. One can also buy the Tripp magazine upgrade kit, which is the follower and spring. I did this on several "problem magazines" and they were problems no more. It will reduce a non-Tripp 8-shot magazine to seven; sevens remain sevens.
    The price is well under ten bucks a pop and they work on magazines having bodies that disassemble from the bottom or those that don't.

Best.

I also like the Tripp Cobra mags.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i like wilson 47D's

and Also CMC shooting stars also CMC powermags

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Wilson works for me, but I haven't tried the other ones mentioned
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The Wilsons with the full skirt. The 47 series is what I use for CCW and competition. Remember to do the PM on your mags as you would your weapon.--------

DC Founder
    I use Wilson 47D magazines almost exclusively, but have also heard alot about Tripp. After visiting their website, I might retrofit my Wilson mags. There are very few other magazines I would consider using.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    My SA factory mags are great. don't know who makes em. I need to get some Wilson mags. the Chip McCormick shooting star mags would not work w/ HP's nor will they lock the slide back empty.
    This is with my SA Champ. maybe they work with some guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I like Wilsons and Novaks. I use the Wilsons in competition and Novaks for CCW. The Novaks have a metal follower but it's not split like a McCormick so it won't gouge aluminum frames.
    The Novaks cost about $10 less each than the Wilson 47D.

Novak mags come standard with NightHawk pistols.

OD*
    Rocky,

Do your SA mags have a visible seem down the spine of the tube body? If so, those would be Metalforms, if they're seamless, they're Checkmates. Novaks are Mec-Gar's. http://www.mec-gar.it/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links