pepper spray?

This is a discussion on pepper spray? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about getting a couple of cans of pepper spray to keep in my wife's van. My question is this, are the canisters ...

Thread: pepper spray?

pepper spray?

I've been thinking about getting a couple of cans of pepper spray to keep in my wife's van. My question is this, are the canisters or spray affected by the temperature extremes to be found inside a vehicle? We live in Illinois and our temps range from +100 to -20. If there is no 100% performance assurance from these products, I don't see any reason to purchase them for this application. Any experience or expert advice out there? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I have had one rupture in car, it was not fun to be driving and suddenly have pepper spray mist fill the passenger compartment. Car still smells peppery....5 years later.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

that is what I do not want to happen with my wife and my son in the car. I emailed the makers of DPS defense spray with questions relating to my concerns and will share their answers when I receive them.

What ever you DO decide to buy, buy one extra to practice with...try spraying on a windy day. How far does it go? Can you accurately hit a desired target. You may get a little in your eyes, just like in WW parking lot situation...can you handle that?
    Believe me, this is an important test, and may just save your hide when you really have to depend upon its use.

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is a great idea. Thanks for the advice. I see that you can buy inert practice canisters, so that you can avoid that feeling too. Not that I couldn't take it but if I had the choice...

I recommend you buy OC foam or OC gel -- if you have to use spray in even a light breeze, it is quickly carried away from the intended target. Foam or gel sticks to the perp's face, and some even have nice green dye. Foam/gel won't contaminate an entire room or car if they discharge accidentally, and won't usually blow back in your face.

CPaul

Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a couple of cans of pepper spray to keep in my wife's van. My question is this, are the canisters or spray affected by the temperature extremes to be found inside a vehicle? We live in Illinois and our temps range from +100 to -20. If there is no 100% performance assurance from these products, I don't see any reason to purchase them for this application. Any experience or expert advice out there? Thanks.

We keep one in each of our cars year-round, and have for many, many years. Gets kind of toasty down here in FL. No problems. I don't know that I'd leave it sitting on the dash, but in a console or glove compartment, I wouldn't expect any problem.

BTW, I like Fox Labs, stream tip. I also agree, get some extra and practice......both of you. I dislike the inert practice canisters. If you have to use it, there's always the possibility of some blow back. You're better off if you know what that feels like before it happens for real.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    David +1 on the keeping it out of the sun, still I had one rupture in my car here in Florida.
    It was in the side pocket of the driver side door.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The Kimber Pepper Blaster (Guardian Angel) is not pressurized and will not "explode" in your super-heated vehicle. The device fires two, high-velocity shots of OC that are contained in primed "bullet" like cartridges. The unit costs $40 and is disposable. Kimber sells a reloadable version (JPX Jet-Protector) that looks like a small pistol but it sells for considerably more money at over $200. I wouldn't leave that one in my car!

Links