I saw the light, and it didn't come from a laser

This is a discussion on I saw the light, and it didn't come from a laser within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I traded an old tool chest for 3 PF9 mags w/finger extensions (I love Craigslist!) and while talking with the guy, he said he ...

Recently I traded an old tool chest for 3 PF9 mags w/finger extensions (I love Craigslist!) and while talking with the guy, he said he had a CAT laser w/Sharktek IWB holster for the PF9. I've never owned a laser before so I thought "what the heck!" and gave 150rds of 9mm and 50bucks for it.

I gotta say the holster is top notch, it's comfortable, holds the gun in place and has the perfect level of retention IMO. The laser is also rock steady and after 200rds on the range is still dead on.

Saying that, it's time for the laser to come off. The experiment is over and I have deemed the laser a toy and not much good for anything else. I can see relying on it while any point shooting skills I've acquired deteriorate. I can't see this or any other laser giving me an advantage that preparation and practice won't give me.

So off comes the laser, and onto Craigslist it goes!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I have a laser on my wife's S&W 637. It is good when at the range and I want to see if whe is pulling or anticipating the shot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Recently I traded an old tool chest for 3 PF9 mags w/finger extensions (I love Craigslist!) and while talking with the guy, he said he had a CAT laser w/Sharktek IWB holster for the PF9. I've never owned a laser before so I thought "what the heck!" and gave 150rds of 9mm and 50bucks for it.

I gotta say the holster is top notch, it's comfortable, holds the gun in place and has the perfect level of retention IMO. The laser is also rock steady and after 200rds on the range is still dead on.

Saying that, it's time for the laser to come off. The experiment is over and I have deemed the laser a toy and not much good for anything else. I can see relying on it while any point shooting skills I've acquired deteriorate. I can't see this or any other laser giving me an advantage that preparation and practice won't give me.

So off comes the laser, and onto Craigslist it goes!
    I feel the same way about lasers. The only other possible use for them is a scare tactic. Let the guy know that this isn't a pea shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    I feel the same way about lasers. The only other possible use for them is a scare tactic. Let the guy know that this isn't a pea shooter.
    Well that, and being able to shoot from retention after being knocked on your butt.

If you've never attended a boot-party, don't. They aren't much fun.

pax
    Lasers aren't for daylight.

They're for low light.

If you only ever shoot in good light, you'll never see the need for a laser. It will just be a toy.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

If the toy fits in to your dress and CCW use it. Most SD shootings occur during low light situations. Point shooting wont matter much in a dark parking lot on your butt or knees or back.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would not carry a defensive handgun without a laser. You should certainly practice traditional sighted fire, as well as point shooting without sights, since lasers can fail. That said, lasers offer several tremendous advantages:

No doubt about where the bullet will go when you pull the trigger

Accuracy while keeping both eyes open for better peripheral vision

Ability to fire with accuracy from awkward positions

Ability to fire from behind cover with less of your body exposed

Excellent training tool

Intimidation factor may resolve the situation without having to actually fire

I heartily recommend lasers, as well as night sights (my G26 has the Tru Glo TFO sights). I have personally used the Lasermax internal guide rod laser, Crimson Trace Lasergrips/Laserguard, and ArmaLaser. I like the CT units best, since they are turned on simply by gripping the gun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Lasers aren't for daylight.

They're for low light.

If you only ever shoot in good light, you'll never see the need for a laser. It will just be a toy.

pax
    I guess low light is different in Texas. 3 o'clock in the afternoon, few clouds in the sky, and 101.6* outside. I just shined the CT laser on my 638 through a glass window and screen (its 101.6 and I'm not going outside for you) and the red dot was easily visible in non-shadow areas on the earth bank thirty feet outside the window.

I find the laser is much more effective than the 3 inch sight radius on a J frame (calling them sights is being generous) day OR night.

Maybe you need new batteries.

Best,

Friend of mine put a laser on his Glock, paid $400 for it,.. It is the kind that takes the place of the forward guide,. Well it was great when we first looked at it,.. But after shooting about 100 rounds with it, it started working when it wanted to,. It would go out for no - reason at all, and then come back on,. Strange,. I was going to get one too...

Try the Crimson Trace laser. I think you'll be impressed - and if you're not, they have a great warrantee. Mine has been without any problem and I haven't even heard any complaints online. They'll even send you a new battery each year.

(I have no connection with the company except as a very satisfied customer.)

Best,

Hill Country

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The biggest problem with the Lasermax guide rod unit is the switch to turn it on and off, taking the place of the takedown lever. All of the holsters I have switch the laser on when the gun is holstered. Next time I am going with CT
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    The biggest problem with the Lasermax guide rod unit is the switch to turn it on and off, taking the place of the takedown lever. All of the holsters I have switch the laser on when the gun is holstered. Next time I am going with CT
    Had the same thing happen to me - twice. Lasermax will send you a cut-down version of their switch, which might take care of the problem. However, I like the instant-on capability of Crimson Trace, and now have either a Lasergrip or Laserguard on all my defensive handguns.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have CTG on three carry guns and wouldn't leave home without them. 10thmtn hit the nail on the head. Most of the people I've talked with who put lasers down have not even tried them. There is no single addition I can think of that will better help you get on target in low light situations.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have a laser on my wife's S&W 637. It is good when at the range and I want to see if whe is pulling or anticipating the shot.
    That seems to be what my CT is best for..... although I've heard a few firsthand stories of a few BG's stopping thier nonsense after seeing that 'lil red dot on them.

My laser has done more for my trigger 'pulls and jerks' that anything else.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links