Help! Advice needed for my Wife

This is a discussion on Help! Advice needed for my Wife within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advice. My wife is a nurse at a major hospital. Her parking deck assignment is five blocks from her unit. Her unit ...

Thread: Help! Advice needed for my Wife

Help! Advice needed for my Wife

I need some advice. My wife is a nurse at a major hospital. Her parking deck assignment is five blocks from her unit. Her unit is downtown in a high crime area. The parking deck does not have any cameras or security. Could someone PLEASE suggest some good defensive sprays for her? The spray needs to be easy to use and very effective. I know almost nothing about defensive sprays. Your recommendations will be valued. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Find a LEO and ask.....most will be glad to assist you.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Fox Labs spray looks like a quality defensive spray. Does anyone have any experiance/reviews with their product?

I've heard good reviews of the Fox Labs stuff, and have some, although I've never had to use it.

Note I suggest getting a 2oz "flip top" can. I think you run the risk of running out with the smaller sizes.

Also note there are different spray patterns: stream, cone and foam.

Foam is for indoor use, stream has better range, but you have to be more accurate. I picked cone as middle ground.

Note that using something other than 'foam' *inside* the hospital would be a bad thing(tm) as it would likely get picked up by the air handlers and sick people probably wouldn't do well with OC.

Also, Fox Labs makes practice cans that don't have OC in them for practice -- not a bad idea.

Note that it is important everyone understand that OC is a tactic to buy (a small amount of) time, not a solution unto itself and it doesn't always work at all (depends on the person). You either need to run like heck, or take advantage of the perp's condition to subdue him.

Other considerations are: having the wind blow it back at you, or in case of trying to subdue the subject, contact transfer of the OC.

Another thing for her to consider is a Taser C2, which appears to be effective more often, but still has the same limitation regarding it is a time buying tactic. With the C2, you zap them, set the unit down on the ground and run. You have 30 seconds until it turns itself off.

In the case of the Taser, I would suggest getting spare cartridges and practice, despite the cost.

Consideration for Taser: what if you have more than one attacker?

-john

What about stun guns?

I'm a paramedic and a known gun nut, and several of the nurses at the local ER have asked for advice. They are not permitted to be armed at work, and the security force at the ER is...... Well, we don't think they're allowed to have batteries for their flashlights, much less be armed. I hear a nasty rumor that several of them carry the Kimber Lifeact spray, since it isn't easily identified as a defensive spray. I find it hard to believe they would violate such policy, but the rumor persists. In the pocket of scrubs it looks like a PDA, cell phone, calculator or some such device.
    Kimber PepperBlaster - Less Lethal Self Defense Personal Protection

I'm not a fan of stun guns, and the Taser is obvious as a weapon, even the pink ones. If discretion is important I'd go with the Kimber. FWIW, the civilian Taser has 15 foot leads and the Kimber has a 13 foot effective range. The Kimber sprayer that looks like a double barreled pistol has a 20 foot range, but again is obvious as a weapon.

I also have some experience with the MSI brand of OC sprays. Horrible, evil, nasty chemicals from the depths of hell in my opinion. I carry a small can of 10% at work for "dogs". They have dozens of sprays and plenty of different sizes and designs of canisters. I like the ones that have the flip-tops in the small cannisters. I like the Gel and Pepperfoam in larger containers. They don't make the foams in the small pocket sizes.
    Mace Pepper Spray | Home Protection | Security Systems | Online Super Store!
    Avoid the MSI "gun". It's nowhere near the volume of spray that the Kimber has. It's an aerosol and blows away in any kind of wind. If it's going to look like a weapon, get the Kimber gun or a big MSI spray can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    What about stun guns?
    The *only* "stun gun" I'd consider would be a Taser.

-john

VIP Member
    I'll second the Kimber Lifeact.

The only stun gun I'd have is in .45acp!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have seen the Tasers in action (they are based here in AZ) and they can be a very effective defensive solution for an emergency. I don't know where you are, but in AZ they are not considered a weapon and can be carried anywhere.

Check them out, their tech now works on a muscle stimulus interruption instead of pain induction. The sprays are good, but some are ineffective against certain people. Add in the wind factor and all that, and I would prefer the bug zapper.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    Fox Labs spray looks like a quality defensive spray. Does anyone have any experiance/reviews with their product?
    If you look on YouTube, you'll find videos of people getting a face full of the Fox Labs... it appears brutal... but there are people that can still function after a hit. Better than nothing, I suppose...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Let her pick

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    If you look on YouTube, you'll find videos of people getting a face full of the Fox Labs... it appears brutal... but there are people that can still function after a hit. Better than nothing, I suppose...
    Still functioning but definitely impaired. Fox Labs or Kimber. Let her go do a little looking and let her decide what works best for her. Then buy two. One for practice and then one for carry.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

Links