LED Flashlight Advice

LED Flashlight Advice

This is a discussion on LED Flashlight Advice within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in search of a high power LED flashlight to complement my CCW. Any advice would be appreciated such as make and price. Have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Flashlight Advice

LED Flashlight Advice

I am in search of a high power LED flashlight to complement my CCW. Any advice would be appreciated such as make and price. Have a fantastic day all.

I use a Surefire L1. It has a variable output from 10 lumens to 65 lumens and is small enough to fit in with all the other junk I carry day to day. It has the same output as the 6p series lights, but with only one battery. The low power feature is handy for finding keys in the dark, checking on the baby, and such. The 65 lumen output is nice to have on hand for SD use or when more is needed. It's just long enough and shaped right that you could hit with it if you had to, without being the obvious weapon like they make in other versions. I bought two L1s, a stack of spare batteries, battery carriers, and was under $250. It was a lot cheaper locally than on Ebay or anything I found.

L1 LumaMax® LED Flashlight in Bright Blue, Green, Red or White from SureFire

Here is where I buy my lights and batteries. Good prices and fast service.

It has most brands and a lot of info on all of them so you can compare options, power and prices.

BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!

bosco

+1 on BatteryJunction.com

I recommend a Fenix. Pick the one thats right for you; for example, there are some that run on a single AAA batt all the way up to one that takes 3XCR123.

I have and carry the TK11(60 or 225 lumens), and I can attest to its quality, durability, brightness, and battery life (10 hours on 60 lumens, 1.5 on 225).

Surefire is one of the toughest flashlights. They have several models to meet your needs.
    Armydad

Surefire is pretty much top of line in both quality and price.

However, there are lots of other options too. Here is an on line store that has an excellent reputation for service and offers lots of options:

4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com

review list
    Light-Reviews.com

compare models
    Light-Reviews.com

another review list
    LED Flashlight Reviews

I have the OLight T20-M, I like it:

Olight T20-M Review

Only problem with it is to change modes (low/medium/high/strobe/SOS), you need to twist the head. One twist back & forth cycles the mode; I'd rather have a button for that.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Boy, have you opened up a can of worms! There are dozens of great flashlights out there that can meet your needs, but first you need to know what your needs (and wants) are in a flashlight. Do you want a light that is simple on/off, with just one bright level? This would be a light like the Surefire 6PL. How about a light that when you press the switch a little bit you get a low level, but press it fully for high, like the Surefire L1 and L2. There are also lights that allow you to click the switch to on, and then click it back off and on again quickly to change light levels, such as most of the Fenix lights (sans T series), Olights (sans M20), 4Sevens Quark, and Surefire E series LED lights.

Really, the options are endless, but let me just make some suggestions.

1. Modes - know what you want and what you need when buying a light. If you are choosing a light to keep in the glove compartment of your car, an SOS beacon mode might be handy - but you sure don't want to activate that mode accidentally if you're trying to light up a bad guy or dark alley. I prefer either a simple one or two mode user interface, or a dedicated switching mechanism to switch modes independently from turning the light on and off (such as the switching ring on the Surefire U2 and Kroma, Fenix TK30, Blackhawk Gladius, or Inova Inforce).

Brightness - For navigating from the bedroom to the head in the dark, 1-3 lumens is plenty of light. However, you really want at least 60 well focused or 100 or so floody lumens to illuminate a bad guy, room, alley, or parking space. There are lights out there boasting 200, 300, or even 700+ lumens, but often, higher output isn't really better if you are indoors, since you can be easily blinded by reflected light off of lightly colored walls and ceilings. I stick with between 60 and 200 lumens for my EDC light as a MAXIMUM, and a low at or below 3 lumens. Leave the super high output lights next to the front door to light up the entire yard.

Batteries - Most of the EDC-able flashlights out there use one of two types of cells - lithium CR123A or 1.5v AA (alkaline, lithium, or 1.2v NiMH rechargeables (aka "Eneloop" or LSD NiMH)). Lithium cells, both in the CR123A and AA form factor, provide a decade of stable shelf life, greater temperature resistance, leak protection, and greater energy density than alkaline cells, but the trade-off is that they are quite expensive. Alkaline cells do not have the capability of providing high current output, so most lights that can run on alkaline batteries tend to be a bit down on output compared to their lithium powered cousins.

If you have easy access to CR123 cells, I would stick with those - and I do, so I do. However, if you will be traveling, or intend to use the light a lot, you may do well to choose a model that can run on AA cells of all kinds - alkaline and lithium primary as well as lithium-ion rechargeable or NiMH rechargeable.

Hope this helps...

i recommend the fenix pd-30. it's about the size of a tube of lipstick. takes 1 CR123. it's an LED light

180 lumens and 180 lumens strobe. also has 3 lower power settings and a S.O.S. mode.

$54.95 from Knifeworks.com

i have one and i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wils91 View Post
    i recommend the fenix pd-30. it's about the size of a tube of lipstick. takes 1 CR123. it's an LED light

180 lumens and 180 lumens strobe. also has 3 lower power settings and a S.O.S. mode.

$54.95 from Knifeworks.com

i have one and i love it.
    I have a PD30 and it gives 220 lumens and uses 2 CR123 batteries ?

bosco

DC Founder
    I also recommend the Fenix PD30. Great little light that will fit anywhere...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I also recommend the Fenix PD30. Great little light that will fit anywhere...
    +1 on the Fenix PD30 GREAT LIGHT
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Solarforce L2. It is a Surefire 6P clone. They claim 300 lumens, realistically it is around 175. It has 5 modes, strobe, high, med, low and SOS.

Best part it is between $25 and $30. I had a 6P, and am more impressed by the SolarForce.

Take a look at this thread for some ideas.

Personally, I like (in order):

* Ra Lights (mine programmed to come on in high mode) - I think these are some of the best and most flexible lights out there. Rugged, reliable and versatile.
    * Surefire - excellent quality, super reliability and usability, but tend not to be on the best deal, or the most technically advanced.
    * Fenix lights (tactical series) - super bang for the buck.

-john

I like SureFire's...when I've tried others, I always come back to my SF's.

My first was the E2e...but now I have the L4 Luma Max..."bright light, bright light..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links