Pepper Spray help...

Pepper Spray help...

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray help... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need pepper spray for my wife to guard against dogs while she is running. Any suggestions? Can pepper spray be used multiple times (before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray help...

Pepper Spray help...

I need pepper spray for my wife to guard against dogs while she is running. Any suggestions?

Can pepper spray be used multiple times (before the can is empty) or is one spray all you get?

Go to your local gun store. They should have plenty of choices. I personally like the one that fits on your keychain. Also check your state laws regarding pepper sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Go to your local gun store. They should have plenty of choices. I personally like the one that fits on your keychain. Also check your state laws regarding pepper sprays.
    Exactly. If you buy pepper spray locally you know it will be legal to carry it in your state. My Red Sabre says it has 25 "bursts" which I believe is a 1 second burst. I had a tough time locating a store that sold it so I bought 5 keychain cans. It was very effective on one dog that I had to spray but it was not very effective on another. I do not know if it was 1. My aim 2. The wind 3. That particular dog, or some other factor. But I felt a whole lot better carrying it compared to the times I didn't have it. My wife also carries the OC spray.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post
    I need pepper spray for my wife to guard against dogs while she is running. Any suggestions?

Can pepper spray be used multiple times (before the can is empty) or is one spray all you get?
    Fox Labs. 2 oz size is perfect for your purposes. Stream tip will allow for greater standoff and less possibility of blowback in breezy conditions. You'll likely have to order on-line, but IMHO, it's worth it.

Not a one time deal, you're able to use it several times.

I recommend getting a couple though so you can both practice a bit. Get the real thing, not the inert practice canisters. It helps to know what you're dealing with before you actually have to use it for real.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post

I use both Sabre Red and Fox. I believe Fox is hotter.

They have some made especially for dogs too. I think it works
    on them better.

VIP Member
    I would look into something made for dogs. The reason I say this is that I have heard reports that normal pepper spray has mixed results. I have a 2 year old boxer and if he was ever in an ass chewing mode, I don't think typical pepper spray would work too well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    get a 2 or 4 oz can (check local and state laws), that way she can carry it in her hand while jogging
    I've used OC on a couple of dogs, some have mixed results but both times I've done it they stopped what they were doing

when I jog through the neighborhood my Keltec P11 is clipped IWB in a Galco holster and my 4oz can of OC is in my left hand ready to spray, if at low light morning or evening then my surefire G2 is in the left hand, OC in right, I'll drop the OC if I need to get the Keltec at night
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Fox Labs. 2 oz size is perfect for your purposes. Stream tip will allow for greater standoff and less possibility of blowback in breezy conditions. You'll likely have to order on-line, but IMHO, it's worth it.

Not a one time deal, you're able to use it several times.

I recommend getting a couple though so you can both practice a bit. Get the real thing, not the inert practice canisters. It helps to know what you're dealing with before you actually have to use it for real.
    +1 on Fox Labs...Sabre Defense and Defense Technologies make some good stuff. too. I also woudl go with the 2 oz can. I prefer the Cone Fog. But research the pros/cons of both and decide for yourself.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Fox labs and Red Sabre

I just got done looking up these two products on their websites. And if I read them correctly, please someone correct me if I am wrong, Fox Labs has an advertised "heat" of 5.3 million scofield units compared to Red Sabre's 2MMSHU. Although the Fox labs is more than twice what I paid at a retail outlet for my Red Sabre. I think I may be purchasing Fox Labs in the future, money well spent for the extra heat IMHO.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

I have the Kimber PepperBlaster. It cost $35.00 and has a good clip that just clips to your belt or in your pocket like a pocket knife. It is supposed to shoot a narrow stream up to 13ft I think and it has a trigger safety and two shots. I feel it would be easy to deploy immediately and that its a quality product.

I keep this in my Harley front pocket, in my car dash, and on my person...

J & L, Pepper Spray, DPS Sprays, DPS Duty Sprays

I've had just a 'bit' of it in MY eyes...it's HOT!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't like the ones with a twist cap because when holding it in "safe" condition the natural position is for the nozzle to be pointing straight out. However, as soon as you twist the cap, the nozzle points about 30 degrees off center and under stress you'll likely to forget to re-align it and you'll miss your target.

I like the ones with a flip top cover and all you have to do is push the button down.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    I don't like the ones with a twist cap because when holding it in "safe" condition the natural position is for the nozzle to be pointing straight out. However, as soon as you twist the cap, the nozzle points about 30 degrees off center and under stress you'll likely to forget to re-align it and you'll miss your target.

I like the ones with a flip top cover and all you have to do is push the button down.
    I too like the flip top models,
    our issued ASR has the "cop top" model-open top...whoever thought that up, and none of us like them, we've had way too many ADs of spray in the leather holsters due to extreme bending/pressing against objects, etc....and the spray concentrated running down the front of your pants/leg is not very pleasant in the middle of the shift
    I'd rather have the flip top like I've purchased for home use/wife use/before I became LEO
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Kimber PepperBlaster is awesome, go to their website and check it out... Im making my mother keep one of these in her purse.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I carry Fox CS foam most of the time so that I won't get blowback.

I have no experience, but it would seem to me that the foam in the mouth and eyes would deter a dog better than spray. Anyone with experience?

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links