On Red Dots and Recoil

On Red Dots and Recoil

This is a discussion on On Red Dots and Recoil within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently mounted a Nikon Monarch Dot Sight on my S&W Model 627 .357 Mag 8X. I bore sighted the system using my laser alignment ...

On Red Dots and Recoil

I've recently mounted a Nikon Monarch Dot Sight on my S&W Model 627 .357 Mag 8X. I bore sighted the system using my laser alignment tool. I took it to the range and fired 75 rounds at varying distances out to 15 yards. Accuracy was exceptional at all distances. So what's the problem?

After firing 75 rounds I wanted to make sure the mount hadn't come loose. I checked the torque on the mounting screws and noted nothing unusual. I put my laser bore sight tool back in the barrel and checked the red dot alignment again. I noticed the red dot had moved off my previous bore sight. It appears that the red dot did not return to its original bore sight.

Assuming the physical alignment of the sight, mount, and gun remains constant is it normal for the optical bore sight to wander?
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

Im no expert and havent used one but i always assumed that a bore sighter just got you close. So it may show a little different if you reinstalled it after your first adjusments. I may be wrong though.

I think you are correct. What I should have done was to shoot it again to see if there was any real difference in the impact point or if it seemed to wander. Sometimes I expect too much from my bore sight tool but by comparison it is fairly repeatable on my Beretta 92FS and I think it's because the fixture is relatively secure when installed.

I paid a lot of money for the Nikon Red Dot sight. I've really learned to appreciate their value especially if you normally wear bifocals. I like having a clear (focused) target and a clear dot at the same time. My accuracy has really improved with this sight especially at 25 yards off hand. But the .357 Mag recoil, even in the 44 oz Model 627, can shake things loose after awhile. So I wonder about the durability of the optics. I guess a few more range visits will tell the story.

A picture of my science project:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Lobo_79; July 4th, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

Links