Trigger lock issue

Trigger lock issue

This is a discussion on Trigger lock issue within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in December I had a friend who was interested in getting a shotgun for home defense. Knowing his wife was going to take some ...

Thread: Trigger lock issue

Trigger lock issue

Back in December I had a friend who was interested in getting a shotgun for home defense. Knowing his wife was going to take some convincing on the issue and that the cost would be one of her arguments I offered to let him keep one of my shotguns untill he was in a position to buy one.
    Well, Friday was his birthday and his wife and father-in-law suprised him with a nice Remington that he had been wanting. He brought my Mossberg back today, but with an issue.
    To appease his wife's initial dislike of a loaded gun in the house he bought a triggerlock made by Master Lock that completely covers the triggerguard.
    It seems that when he pulled the key off his keyring and added to the other key for the lock that he must of set them on the toolbox of his truck and forgot to remove them before driving the thirty minute trip to my house.

So what would be the best way to go about removing the triggerlock without damaging the shotgun?
    Should I contact MasterLock about a replacement key or just drill the lock?

Suggestions and ideas are all are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Back in December I had a friend who was interested in getting a shotgun for home defense. Knowing his wife was going to take some convincing on the issue and that the cost would be one of her arguments I offered to let him keep one of my shotguns untill he was in a position to buy one.
    Well, Friday was his birthday and his wife and father-in-law suprised him with a nice Remington that he had been wanting. He brought my Mossberg back today, but with an issue.
    To appease his wife's initial dislike of a loaded gun in the house he bought a triggerlock made by Master Lock that completely covers the triggerguard.
    It seems that when he pulled the key off his keyring and added to the other key for the lock that he must of set them on the toolbox of his truck and forgot to remove them before driving the thirty minute trip to my house.

So what would be the best way to go about removing the triggerlock without damaging the shotgun?
    Should I contact MasterLock about a replacement key or just drill the lock?

Suggestions and ideas are all are welcome.
    Drill it...or get thee to a reputable lock smith...he'll have it off in a few minutes and probably charge you $5.

Take the gun into the shop in a case...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would contact Master Lock to see if they could come up with a duplicate key. Look for a number stamped on the lock if it has one and this may help in getting the proper key. You might want to check with a locksmith and see if he can help . I would try this first. Good luck.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    How big a hurry are you in to get it off? Drilling it would be the fastest way if your friend doesn't mind losing the lock. Contacting the manufacturer might take days or weeks for results. You could take it to a locksmith, but remember these guys charge by the hour. Good luck finding one that works cheap. I say drill baby drill!!!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    Here you go. Masterlock trigger guard lock.
    YouTube - Picking a AK-47 trigger lock

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I'm not in a huge hurry, but I would like it off. I may send MasterLock an email and see what kind of time frame I'm looking at for a replacement, if that is an option.
    My friend doesn't care about the lock, so I may drill it tomorrow when I get home. There aren't a lot of locksmiths around here(that aren't looking to have you put their latest kid through college anyway) and the last time I had need of one I had to drive fourtyfive minutes to get the work done.

Thanks fellows, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any options.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Thanks, that may be a good project for me this week.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That guy was quicker with the 'lock pick' tools than a key.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Picking this type of lock is trivial. An even EASIER way to get one open is to 'bump' it...simply maintain slight rotational pressure on the cylinder while popping a similar key in and out. You may need to alter the bump key in some places with a file to make this work. A similar technique to bumping is 'raking', which is moving a pick quickly over the pins to pop them into place. After raking a few times, remaining pins may be set individually if necessary. As with any lockpicking technique, a tension tool is required.

At one point I wanted to borrow my dad's .44mag, but it had a trigger lock on it and he had lost the key. He suggested drilling it, but since he doesn't have a drill press he had put it off for years because he was worried about scratching the gun. I was able to pick it in under 10 seconds.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Lead Moderator
    If you don't want to pick it take it to a locksmith, that type of lock ought to take about a minute...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I sent the OP instructions on how to make a set of lock picks and if anybody is every going to drill any lock the correct place to drill the cyclinder is appx 1/4 of an inch above the last part of the pins that you see. So the 1/4 drill bit drills out the pins and springs. then take a screw drive and turn like you were using the key.

I thought HITCH KING's suggestions look interesting and would be fun to try since I was in no hurry really to get the lock open. Well, after setting up the "equipment" it took.........45 seconds to open.
    Yep, I lucked up and did it right the first time. I spent the next hour trying it on other locks around the house, with the same results, although some took much longer.
    It's kinda neat and kinda scary that it's that simple.

Thanks HITCH KING and everyone else who submitted ideas.

Even tho' it's done: If it's the kind with the rubber insert with yellow spring loaded fingers, all you had to do is pull the rubber back on the side opposite the key side, insert screwdriver inbetween the teeth and the little metal tab, twist screwdriver, and push the lock off without damaging the lock or gun. Good to know for next time, eh?

Sponsored Links