night sites or laser?

This is a discussion on night sites or laser? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does anybody have any advice as to which form of aiming is better? i am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to each. but those ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: night sites or laser?

night sites or laser?

does anybody have any advice as to which form of aiming is better? i am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to each. but those of you with experience with both which do you prefer and why. also which is your preference cost being a factor and not being a factor. and do you have a preference when it come to manufacturers (who makes the best)? thanks for your input everybody.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Taurus PT1911AR, SA XD .40c
    S&W M&P 9c, Taurus Slim PT709

2. Remove Ads

Eh.

Night sights are fine...but if it's too dark to see the sights, why are you shooting? If it's light enough to see the sights, why do you need night sights? So if I had a choice of a gun with free night sights or without, I'd take the night sights, but if they had a bump, I'd skip it.

Lasers-no opinion. I figger most defensive encounters (or as my favorite instructor puts it--"Dynamic critical incidents") occur in a time frame that essentially invalidate anything but the most rudimentary sighting, OR utilize shots from retention--it don't really matter.

Honest injun--I'd spend the money on ammo or reloading components and practice more. I think you're looking for a hardware solution to a software problem, bro.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Lasers are better as it allows you to keep both your eyes on the BG and you don't have to worry about using your sights.

Crimson Trace. Cost not a factor.

Tritium night sights. Cost a factor.

Glock 19 - Factory tritium night sights and factory tactical light.

Ruger LCP - Crimson Trace red laser.

P.S. Keep a good small flashlight handy such as a Surefire or Streamlight for target identification. Make sure that it is not a loved one up at night getting a midnight snack from the refrigerator, or a cat knocking over a flower pot from a ledge that is making all that noise in the dark.

JMHO. On handguns that can have their sights replaced, I prefer Trijicon night sights. On those handguns whose sights are integral to the slide or barrel and frame as on a J frame S&W revolver I prefer Crimson Trace lasers.
    God bless our troops!

I'm all in favor of the night sights right off the bat. With sights on the pistol, you must use the basic principles of sighting and target acquisition. Lasers are nice, however....I would never have a defensive sidearm with a laser unless it had night sights on it in the first place. Switches, batteries, adjustments, interfering objects, etc....all make the typical laser less than 100% dependable/reliable. Lots of folks however place their complete trust in them. For me, that would be a mistake. I do have a couple of lasers for my various firearms though...they are an aid, and they are fun to shoot with, and cats love to chase the little red or green dot. You can actually drive a cat bananas with a laser. Have fun, but invest in night sights first IMO.

Senior Moderator
    Night Sights.

If you forget to turn on your laser (on some models) or your battery dies, you don't want to be wasting time trying to figure out what's wrong, you just want to be shooting. If you get too reliant on a laser it might be a hindrance.

I'm a little old school. The simpler the better and the less that can fail. Murphy's law and everything.

VIP Member
    Night sights, for sure, not sure about lasers, I guess I'm more inclined to keep it simple as limatunes said.

I have TLR-2 which spends most of it's time in the range bag. Great tool, but as others have said, just another piece of equipment that can fail on you at the worst possible moment. Plus, Crimson Trace doesn't make a laser for HK's. My only option was a rail mounted light which adds that much more weight to an already sizable .45 (although it's a 'compact') and MUCH more difficult to conceal (would rather not take the thing on and off everyday).

Have a set of Trijicon NS incoming to replace the crap factory sights.
    HK45c V1

Pros and cons to each of them. Right now I have one pistol with night sights, one with night sights and a laser, one with just a laser, one with nothing. Eventually I hope to have all equipped with both. Lasers can offer some advantages but they can also become a crutch. Murphy's law of course dictates that if you become accustomed to using your laser instead of your sights it is going to hit the fan and it will be at that instant your batteries die.

If it is a choice of one or the other I would go night sights first. Always on and basically maintenance free.

But RamRod is right, nothing, and I mean nothing, gets my cats going like a laser dot moving across the floor!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    But RamRod is right, nothing, and I mean nothing, gets my cats going like a laser dot moving across the floor!
    Dogs too. My little feller goes berzerk when a laser hits the floor
    HK45c V1

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Eh.

Night sights are fine...but if it's too dark to see the sights, why are you shooting? If it's light enough to see the sights, why do you need night sights? So if I had a choice of a gun with free night sights or without, I'd take the night sights, but if they had a bump, I'd skip it.

Lasers-no opinion. I figger most defensive encounters (or as my favorite instructor puts it--"Dynamic critical incidents") occur in a time frame that essentially invalidate anything but the most rudimentary sighting, OR utilize shots from retention--it don't really matter.

Honest injun--I'd spend the money on ammo or reloading components and practice more. I think you're looking for a hardware solution to a software problem, bro.

Dan
    Agreed. I do have an opinion on lasers, but I'll keep my mouth shut for now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Id go for the night sites. Im looking for some myself. Cant make up my mind.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Initially, I opted for a Crimson Trace on my EDC M&P 45FS. I find a laser an indispensable training tool. Maintaining smooth trigger pull with minimal muzzle movement is difficult to achieve and maintain without constant repetition. The red dot on the wall 8-12 feet away amplifies any muzzle movement to an extent that cannot be ignored. Your natural biofeedback system will perfect and maintain your trigger discipline efficiently. With the cost and availability of ammo, can still dry-fire 2-3 times per week but may only visit the range 1-2 times per month. Competition is no longer affordable for me.

Of course lasers have their well promoted tactical benefits. For those of us who have been near-sighted all our lives, it's helpful to have backup for no-glassed situations.

Night sights solve a different problem. I was eventually convinced by a nationally known trainer friend to add night sights. I eventually settled on Warren 2-dot sights. For reasons I cannot explain, the 2-dot sights enable me to now be able to shoot with both eyes open without thinking about it. An unexpected and welcome additional benefit.

Bottom line... A laser first as it enables economical training. With the price of ammo, it doesn't take long to "pay for" even an expensive laser like a Crimson Trace. Add the night sights when able. It's always appropriate to have a plan B if your electronics fail. And it makes your firearm easy to locate in the dark.

From the training benefit alone, I will no longer EDC a handgun without a Crimson Trace on it. My BUG is an LCP with a Crimson Trace.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Eh.

Night sights are fine...but if it's too dark to see the sights, why are you shooting? If it's light enough to see the sights, why do you need night sights?
    What if you're in a situation where you're in the dark, but your target is backlit or has enough ambient lighting to light him and not you?

This subject has been beat to death, and I've even posted on it and started my own threads even.

That was a hint to use the Search feature by the way, as you will gain some great information to go with what is and will be posted here. My opinion will agree and differ from various posters, depending upon the poster.

I myself started years ago with Iron Sights and was slow to accept night sights. Finally, kicking and screaming I was brought forth in to the twentieth century. I came to accept night sights and was happy with that replacing the Liquid Paper I used to carefully apply to my Front Sight. Then, lo and behold, I decided to try a laser.

While lasers aren't for every situation, and I knowing what a perfect sight picture looks like, I would rather have the laser than the night sights if I could only have one. Each has their place and they are both on my EDC though.

Wearing glasses and being near sighted may tend to influence my choices. Also, having been in low light confrontations, all three of them were what one would describe as "not perfect lighting", I look for any advantage I can get and like my Tool Box to be bountiful. Therefore, if you can I recommend both. If you can only have one, get the laser and spend a lot of time shooting with your Iron Sights. You should be doing that anyway, as there is no short cut for "trigger time" IMO.

The laser just "helps" it doesn't replace. The same can be said for night sights, but I see greater assistance from the laser over the night sights.

+1 to having a good flashlight. When I carry a gun, which is daily, I always have some form of communication device and illumination device that is hand held. I've learned both lessons from the "School of Hard Knocks".

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience with SureSight .

I used the search feature on the forum but didn't find anything.

TIA
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links