Defensive Carry banner

Quick Clot

5K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  ELCruisr 
#1 ·
Hey y'all..

I'm looking to supplement my first aid readiness with some Quick Clot, both for in home emergencies and for the vehicles as well.

Has anyone found a reliable, inexpensive source?

#2 ·
Salt.... it is gonna hurt like an SOB, but will stop small to medium depth cuts. Coffee grounds work too, not as efficient.

#5 ·
I sliced my finger open pretty bad with my Karambit, put some hot pepper powder on it, stopped instantly.

#8 · (Edited)
I have three packages!

Ride4TheBrand said:
Hey y'all..

I'm looking to supplement my first aid readiness with some Quick Clot, both for in home emergencies and for the vehicles as well.

Has anyone found a reliable, inexpensive source?
http://www.botach.com They just had a sale on the stuff! $15 each, but they made it clear that they had to sell by law as the "expiration date was approaching" however the contents wouldn't really expire as long as the container remained sealed. Normally a 7oz container of the stuff goes for about $25. I bought 3 new ones for my trauma kit, which I am still building.

#10 ·
The Agriculture supply stores are a great place for other stuff too. Vet wrap is the same stuff Hospitals and Dr.s use for outer wrap on wounds. It's Tan at the Dr. office and adhears to itself, kind of like an ace bandage, but thinner. The Vet wrap is cheaper, but you might have to get purple or bright pink though. A lot of other stuff their is cheaper too. We give out Horses and Dogs and Cats a lot of their shots. Their is always a big bottle of Penicillin in the fridge too. Can't hurt in a SHTF type of scenario too.

#11 · (Edited)
Vets are great sources for cheaper meds. My buddies dog has all types of "ailments". His brother is a vet. The meds are the exact same, but cost about 1/4 the price of "for human consumption" ones.

The vet styptic powder is very effective, BUT IT IS NOT QUICK KLOT. We use it when de-horning cattle. It sure must sting like hell, but the bleeding stops instantly. Wish I had had some on hand when I laid my finger open with a field knife clearing brush.

The Amish near us keep a big jug of kerosene in their sawmill in case someone comes up minus a few digits. Apparently it stops the bleeding right quick and in a hurry as well.

However, if you still want brand name QuickKlot try Galls.

edited to warn that styptic is not Quick Klot as noted by exsoldier below.

#12 ·
Quik-Klot is designed to be dumped into a MASSIVE wound like a ripped open belly and form a sort of synthetic tissue by absorbing all the blood nearly instantly. It works on a chemical reaction and can actually burn the hands of the first responder if used improperly. Temperature of the wound spikes to an unpleasant level for approx 2-3 seconds. Use requires pressure on the wound with a bandage or cover to protect first responders skin. IOW, it ain't fun, but you'll be dead a lot longer than it will hurt in the application! The instructions indicate that all the excess fluids or water should be dabbed away or application could be dangerous.

#13 ·
Some good advice but proceed carefully...

4my son said:
The Agriculture supply stores are a great place for other stuff too. Vet wrap is the same stuff Hospitals and Dr.s use for outer wrap on wounds. It's Tan at the Dr. office and adhears to itself, kind of like an ace bandage, but thinner. The Vet wrap is cheaper, but you might have to get purple or bright pink though. A lot of other stuff their is cheaper too. We give out Horses and Dogs and Cats a lot of their shots. Their is always a big bottle of Penicillin in the fridge too. Can't hurt in a SHTF type of scenario too.
I agree 100% but the Quik Klot is too specialized a product to try the shortcut.

Funny thing, the reverse is true too. When my pup caught kennel cough at the groomer, our vet prescribed Hycodan tablets. Would have cost more from them than to get the prescription at Walgreens since it's the same stuff I take at times. However I did not try to get my health insurance to cover the cost! :nono: That would have been nice...but...:spankme:

#15 ·
Veternary styptic powder is the same as the styptic powder you buy at Walgreens, but not the same as Quick Clot...

#16 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
They just had a sale on the stuff!
Dang.. I reckon had is the operative word here. NO long longer on sale :frown:

Still, $25 for the 3.5 oz. size is the best i've seen so far...

#17 ·
Here's the Botach link direct and there are some very interesting related items on the page: http://store.botachtactical.com/zqu.html

cmidkiff: Your edit: it finally took! Bumper....nevermind.....

#18 ·
$25 isn't the best deal....check further

Ride4TheBrand said:
Still, $25 for the 3.5 oz. size is the best i've seen so far...
Add $4 and get a double.....

#19 ·
Okay, after a couple of PMs, I did revist this thread and take out the potentially dangerous information that was inadvertantly posted. Since many of you quoted the information, I had to do some surgery to get rid of all references to the original post and hopefully got them all. I tried very hard not to change posters words much (and apologize if I did) but felt it was important to remove that information.

After I was all done, I threw some Quick Clot on the whole thread.... :wink:

#20 ·
Vet Wrap

Guys,

I have three horses, and tons of vet wrap on and...Being fundamentally opposed to the pink & purple versions, I am happy to report that all of my vet wrap is good ole` basic black.

Hope that helps.

:tumbleweed: Thanks,

#21 ·
ExSoldier said:
and form a sort of synthetic tissue by absorbing all the blood nearly instantly.
Negative..It draws all H20 from the application site itnot he powder, thus leaving raw thrombin and clotting factors @ the wound site...

ExSoldier said:
It works on a chemical reaction and can actually burn the hands of the first responder if used improperly.
The reaction you cite is what I posted above...It is much liek a super-turbo dry sweep...Absorbs all H20 it hits...

ExSoldier said:
Temperature of the wound spikes to an unpleasant level for approx 2-3 seconds.
This is what is known as QC's "exothermic reaction...The H2o is removed so quickly that it causes heat.

ExSoldier said:
Use requires pressure on the wound with a bandage or cover to protect first responders skin. IOW, it ain't fun, but you'll be dead a lot longer than it will hurt in the application!

Used properly, on the WOUNDS IT WAS DESIGNED FOR (seen the guy with the femur bleeder in Blackhawk Down?), it is a decnt hem-control goody to have in the blow-out kit.

ExSoldier said:
The instructions indicate that all the excess fluids or water should be dabbed away or application could be dangerous.
Hence to avoid exothermic reaction..Also, it'd suck to be applying it in windy conditions, lest it blow into your eyes...

#22 ·
It works great - if used as intended.
People with really crappy wounds love it - surgeons hate it :)

Not really, but I've had a couple tell me that it's a &$#@&! to clean out.

The stuff has to be surgically removed, so please do your homework before putting it on a paper-cut.

It IS part of my EDC, though - coz you never know.

#23 ·
In my shop's first ad kit we have a spray can of generic "Spray Clotting Agent and Disinfectant". We get it from our local safety equipment supply. I wouldn't use it on a compound fracture with arterial bleeding but it has worked like a charm on some pretty nasty smaller wounds. It dosn't make anything hurt worse after application either. I like it because it's easy to use and then get back to work without having to explain bloody smears on the furniture we're building!:scruntiny:

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.