Electronic hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Electronic hearing Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently went to the range to qualify and found that I have problems hearing the range officers commands. It looks like its time for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic hearing Protection

Electronic hearing Protection

I recently went to the range to qualify and found that I have problems hearing the range officers commands. It looks like its time for electronic hearing protection, unfortunately, after reading about the different brands available I am more confused than ever.
    The brands that seem popular are Peltor, Howard Leight, Caldwell and Pro Ears, which seem to range from around $50 to over $300. Of the brands mentioned I had considered the following:
    1... Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold,
    2... Peltor Tactical 7S
    3... Howard Leight Impact
    4....Caldwell Platinum G3
    I wouldn't let the price be a factor as long as you get what you are paying for. Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I bought Peltor's at around $100 (#6S I believe)...still use them after 6 years and they work perfectly. It really make range time with the wife much better...I can turn them way down.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got rid of all my Peltors and went with all Howard Leight. Better sound, easier to change batteries, and higher amplification. Great product and can be found for a good price. Plus I like the aux input for radio and music.

I have dillon electronic hearing I paid 135.00.

I got some caldwell,midway had them on sale for around 25.00 about 4 months ago,they are indented for rifle shooting
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have the Howard Leight Impact that work well for me. I have moderate to severe hearing loss both ears and the amplification works ok for me. I could use a little more amplification to be the perfect product to work with my hearing loss. I also have a cheap older set with no name that also works fairly well.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I've been through three different pairs; the first was Radianss, the second was Peltor, and the third is Howard Leight.

The HLs are my favorites, by far. Good value, good sound, easy to change batteries, and I've never yet found them accidentally tuned on in the range bag. The switch design is definitely the best of the three.

I vote for the HLs.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear all the good feedback on the HLs. I just bought a set and haven't used them yet. They're still in the package sitting on my desk. Everything I read on them was positive and I was able to snag them for under $50 shipped. Oh, green is my favorite color also.

If you want to spend a lot, the Pro Ears are supposed to be excellent also.

I had some Pro Ears Pro Mags since 2002 (I think). They made a couple of trips back for damage and a malfunction repair, and finally croaked for good. Pro Ears is now owned by another company, Altus Brands, LLC. They said they could fix them, but I thought the repair price was going to be too close to a new set with new features for me. They have a trade in deal going on now and I was well out of warranty. They now have an automatic turn-off, which is great as I was the worst about leaving them on and finding dead batteries the next time I got them out. The sales rep told me they had better quality sound and better ear cups now, but I figured that was probably just sales talk and it would not be noticeable. I broke down and ordered a new set of Pro-Mags, and WOW are they nice. The sound quality is better and much more natural. I thought the old ones were fine, but to me they seemed to have a tendency to over amplify certain frequencies-like the fan at the indoor range. The new set doesn't. Sound is even more natural. The construction of the headband is much better, the ear cups are better material and more comfortable to boot. Expensive maybe, but over years of shooting, the extra safety margin of knowing what shooters around me or on the line are doing or saying, the comfort of shooting with noise-canceling muffs, well worth it. I have not tried any of the other brands, but wanted to comment about your note about them being excellent. Pro-Ears have been good but seem to be even better.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Thanks for the input everyone. At this point I am leaning toward the Pro Ears for 3 reasons:
    1...Its made in the USA,
    2...It has a 5 year warrenty
    3...Of all the companies mentioned, when I called to ask questions Pro Ears was the easiest to contact. I figured if there ever is a warrenty issue I'd rather deal with a company I can reach easily.

Thumbs up Electronic hearing Protection

I use the Peltor 6s and love them. I am an instructor and carry a couple of pairs so that if I have students on a crowded range they can hear me with no problems.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've used ProEars for over 5 years and no problems, and they work great.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

My Peltor's are very reliable.

Get the MSA Soridins. I had Pro-Ears Dimensions but stopped using them because

1) Not water resistant (may not be important to you)
    2) Knobs turn on and off in my range bag
    3) Batteries kept falling out of the earpro while in my bag, due to the odd mounting slots
    4) cups are too big for rifle
    5) non-standard battery

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    Get the MSA Soridins. I had Pro-Ears Dimensions but stopped using them because

1) Not water resistant (may not be important to you)
    2) Knobs turn on and off in my range bag
    3) Batteries kept falling out of the earpro while in my bag, due to the odd mounting slots
    4) cups are too big for rifle
    5) non-standard battery
    Those do look good especially in the $200ish category. I like the lower profile style muffs.

BTW, what muffs does the guy on Future Weapons wear? They look electronic and low profile. Looks like he chose them out of personal choice since nobody is plugging them on the show. Must be good if he's wearin' them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links