Gun cabinet search help needed.

This is a discussion on Gun cabinet search help needed. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was strolling through a distant (about an hour away) Dick's store one day and saw the attached Stack-On cabinet. It looked perfect for my ...

Thread: Gun cabinet search help needed.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Gun cabinet search help needed.

I was strolling through a distant (about an hour away) Dick's store one day and saw the attached Stack-On cabinet. It looked perfect for my modest (mostly pistols and about 6 rifles/shotguns) needs and available space so I took a picture and hoped I would find it at my local Dick's. Well I haven't been able to locate it in the Stack-On site nor at my local Dick's. Is it a discontinued model? I don't have a part # that I can see in my picture. I thought it would be easy to find when I saw it and took the picture.

Thanks for any help finding anymore info on it.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have seen them at Dick's before but they usually don’t keep very many in stock. That is a thin walled cabinet and not a safe but will suffice for storage until you can get a more secure safe.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yeah, I noticed it was a cabinet as in my title and not a safe. It still had a lock on it which would keep casual prying eyes out. As for theft protection, I would think anything that size (unless it's bolted to the floor VERY well) could just be picked up and taken to be broke into later by thieves.

That will work for now until I can spot a better (as in can't be carried away, very secure, etc.) safe. I just don't have the room or need for a huge safe. I'll take my picture to the local Dick's and see what they can find out. Maybe it was some sort of Dick's exclusive.

Thanks.

VIP Member
    I have seen that cabinet at Gander Mountain and some larger Wal-Marts also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I have a similar one, plus a small square one, and another that my brohter gave me, all us keys and are cabinets not safes, but they work. I have bolted all of them to the stud wall.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I have a similar one, plus a small square one, and another that my brohter gave me, all us keys and are cabinets not safes, but they work. I have bolted all of them to the stud wall.
    Thanks for the replies and hope everyone,

Yeah, I'm going to at least bolt it to the wall. Rather not have it tip over plus that would delay any thieves more while my alarm is blaring at everyone in the neighborhood to alert status.

I like the ability to convert this cabinet over to more shelves. It fits my collection and needs better than a dedicated long gun cabinet.

I've got a feeling it's either discontinued or was a special build for Dick's. It's not shown on Stack-On's site.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I've got a feeling it's either discontinued or was a special build for Dick's. It's not shown on Stack-On's site.

Hoss
    Yeah, that's the first place I looked when I got home after seeing it. I thought if I at least got a part number I could Google it to price shop. I'm thinking about driving an hour back to that Dick's to see if it's still there. Oh, it was $199 and the salesguy said that they go on sale often for about $149 (another reason I didn't buy it then).

I have one in my closet as a temp until I get off my butt and get a safe. I have 4 long guns and 4 hand guns in it. I also have a 40 mike-mike military ammo case on the bottom of it filled with ammo, mags, holsters etc, just to add some weight to the bottom. I don't have it into the wall since it is just a rental property I am in, but I plan on getting a safe real soon.

I have the thin wall stack on bottom I just weilded two slap laches spaced out evenly & Lagged to the wall & floor & coated with foam to give it a little fire ratting, So a total of 3 locks 2 pad & original ONLY my wife & I have keys I know it's the poor mans safe but it will give a theif alot of greif ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

FWIW, I had cabinets like that in my basement. I drilled into the concrete and used expansion bolts to tie the safe down to the floor. I added lag screws to tie in the wall studs. That seemed pretty resistant to the casual thief.

NRA Life member

GOA member

Links